22 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 2:31 AM by kharada46 RSS

Anniversary Certificate - No Leniency

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just received my Visa Category 1-5 anniversary certificate, so I called the Plat line to see if I could use it on an upcoming stay at the Ren. LHR in November.  The certificate expires in October, and the property is going to be moved to a category 6 next month, so I asked if I could get an extension on the certificate... flat out NO.  NOT POSSIBLE.  Asked if they could offer me another booking with the certificate, I explained I'd have no other qualifying stay this year... didn't seem to matter at all.  Very disappointed... Has anyone had better luck that I recently?  Any tips? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Anniversary Certificate - No Leniency
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have always used mine by expiration date but there is another thread that polled extending the expiration date to 1 year.  Many said they called and got theirs extended.  Maybe they can only go out 6 mo and you are asking now.  If you wait till just before the new cat click in, they will be able to help you.  You can reserve the LHR Ren now through reservations and ask then not to withhold the points.  When you get the extension, call and have it attached.  Note: I am positive that you will get it.  Now I hope I am right.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks Californian!  I'll give it a shot.  Don't worry, I won't hold it against you if it doesn't work out... That will just confirm our fears even more...

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

kharada,

I was told they can extend an expiring certificate one or two times in the history for a member without approval, but after that they need to get approved.  I hope you can get it extended, but I'm afraid that they'll tell you they can't do anything to extend it until it's about expired.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

tryt53,

Thank you for the info!  That's good to know.  I was hoping to get an extension now because of the cat change, but we'll see.. I've never asked for an extension, so hopefully I can find leniency in the future... shouldave known I wasn't going to get anything from that associate anyway.  No greeting, not friendly, not personable...  was borderline rude!  Definitely the worst Plat associate I've had to date, and that was even before I asked for the extension...

Just make your reservation by phone for the LHR Ren telling them not to take points.  You don't need to attach the certificate till 8 days before arrival.  Even if you have to wait till your certificate is near expiration, you will be fine.  Just make sure that you extend it BEFORE ir expires.  Once expired, it is gone.

Californian,

Yup!  Will do.  If I can't get the extension by the time the category change rolls around, I'll just use it to book a mini staycation at the CY Waikiki.  No idea what I'll do next year, though, when the certificate will become very hard for me to use because of all the category changes! 

i_love2travel Gold 1 Reviews

Hi,, Have you tried to just book the hotel w/ the Certificate for future stay (before it gets upgraded)?

i_love2travel,

I'm trying to. 

Problem is, all my stays are occurring after the certificate expires... literally only a month after it expires.  That's why I'm desperately trying to do the booking prior to May 15th, but I need to get on the phone with an agent that's willing to give me an extension. 

Sadly, the certificate will become just about useless to me after the category changes...  

First, I still really think they will extend it for you.  However, you should do what I did, call Chase and tell them how unhappy you are that with the category change, you will not have much use for the certificate and while you are at it, tell them that you think the certificate should last a year.  They probably will not be able to change the one you have but it could be better in the future.

Californian,

That's a great tip!  Hopefully we can get Chase/Marriott to better the certificate!

When I first took out the Marriott cc, a hotel that I wanted to stay at was a Cat 5.  It is now a cat 7.  This has been devalued and the time may come when I will cancel it.

Californian,

I know what you mean.  I love to use the certificate to stay locally for a little "staycation." 

At first it was good at the Waikiki Marriott, but then it went to a Cat 6 right after I got the card... now it's going to a Cat 7.  So I've been using it at the CY Waikiki, which is now a Cat 5, and is moving to a Cat 6 in May... so for my use of it, the certificate is now useless... There isn't anywhere on the island I can use it.  In fact, I believe there will only be two properties state-wide soon that I can use it at. 

When Marriott inflated hotel categories, our cc annual night took a hit. Good luck.

Thanks Californian!  Very true... I could handle the first increase... but not this one.  I really hope these changes are the last negative ones for a while...

I just spoke to Sheri on x5325 at 888-627-7468.  She said she can extend the cc certificate one time for another 6 mo.  So call and do so in a few months.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

So true, Cal.  I am certain that the outcome is often tied to the associate that you happen to get on the phone.  If at first you strike out, call back and talk to someone new.

Thanks Californian!  I'll give it a shot and will let you know what happens! 

Great news!  I got my certificate extended and it was applied to my reservation at Renaissance LHR after the May 15 deadline without issue, thanks to a helpful associate I talked to earlier and because I already had the hotel booked as a cash stay.  What throws me off is the fact that the hotel still shows up at a Cat. 5.  I thought it was moving up to a 6?  I'm not complaining, but I find it odd that it didn't move up a category as originally planned. 

Good.  Glad you got it.

I just checked and found it a cat 5 still.  What happened?

Yup, I'm glad it actually worked! 

But, I'm wondering what happened too.  I took a look at Grand Flora Rome, and that property didn't move up to Cat 9 either.  I know the Oahu properties have all moved up a category already... strange!  Maybe Marriott changed its mind!?  (Yeah right!)

I've checked on some others and they did increase.

Hmm... I wonder why some didn't move up?  Not that I'm complaining... But the Visa certificate is officially useless to me now since Oahu no longer has any Cat 5 or lower properties! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...