8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2013 4:53 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Paris - Renaissance Vendome vs. Marriott CE

photochick Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

First many apologies for a question asked by others but I could use some feedback for Paris trip in October. I have been reading past posts about properties in Paris and appreciate the advice especially from jerrycoin. However, some of the discussions are a few years old and would appreciate more current advice.

This is my husband and I's first time in Paris, I am Platinum using points. We are currently booked at the Marriott CE. I have heard good things about the Marriott CE but am now reconsidering booking at the Renaissance Vendome. We usually like quieter, boutique hotels a bit removed from the hustle & bustle and I am thinking the Vendome might give us more of the type of stay we'd like than the Marriott CE. Maybe a bit more romantic? I like the thought of the location near the Louvre; we will be there one day. However, I am a little concerned about the room size at the Vendome. Using points we are just booking standard room.

Does one hotel upgrade rooms for Platinum more than the other?

Can anyone provide me with additional reasons I should reconsider Vendome over CE? Any recent stays at Vendome who can offer some feedback?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
Paris La Defense Cedex, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero Hotel
  • Re: Paris - Renaissance Vendome vs. Marriott CE
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

photochick,

While I have been to both hotels, recent reports are very disturbing.

Take a look at your choices, and don't forget you have Renaissance at AdT, as well as La Defense.

For a first timer, The C-E is really wonderful, but I am concerned about the recent reports.

Think about what your budget is, as well as what you are willing to spend in cash.

You will get a lot of help here on MRI. 

Just go ahead and ask specific questions, and look at previous posts!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

photochick Platinum

Jerry,

OK, now I'm concerned. Could you point me in the direction of the "recent reports" you have mentioned? I have read a few posts about noise issue late at night at CE with a club nearby, and some posts about small room size at Vendome. It seems like you are alluding to some bigger issues?

I haven't looked much into AdT and La Defense, any suggestions here?

I was really hoping to do just on points with standard room and hope for upgrade for Platinum but would consider paying to upgrade if it means a better stay.

Thanks!

photochick,

Having stayed at all four hotels here's my experience and opinion (Based upon recent posts):

*C-E,     

Great for "First timers to Paris", and people who really want to  "Go-go-go"!  Location is wonderful and access to transportation is excellent.  Noise was never a problem, but stayed mostly in the courtyard area.  Once upgraded to a suite on The C-E and it was even quiet.  Great breakfast buffet, but they now charge 8 Euro for hot dishes.  That is still a bargain.  I have walked from The C-E to Notre Dame, but it is a good walk, you can easily take the Metro from FDR station to Louvre in minutes.  Excellent Concierge and service is very good!

IMG_1094.JPG

When you see a Bellman dressed like Fabrice here, it tells you a lot about the hotel!

Lastly, the largest drawback is just the amount of points required (If you can even get in with them), or the cost if you are paying!  If I could get into here on points and had never been to Paris, this would be my choice!

*Renainssance AdT,

This has been where I have stayed the last two trips.  It is very modern (Which is really not my style) and is more for "Experienced" travelers as it is much more "Laid back", and "Off the Beaten Path".  It's a few short blocks from The AdT and the area is much lower in price than the nearby C-E. (Easy walk to The C-E).  Transportation is nearby, and the staff is outstanding!  The Concierge staff here is second to none,  and can help you to/from CDG, or private tours of The Louvre, or just help you with most anything you want.

Again major drawback, getting in on points, or just the hight price of the rooms!

IMG_2313.JPG

This is a picture from my room, looking to the AdT!  That's how close you are!

IMG_2299.JPG

Remi and Elisabeth are two wonderful Concierges at Ren. AdT.  Most professional and helpful!

* Ren. La Defense

Always my favorite for "Short, week-end stay's)!  The price (Or points) tends to be much less at this location.  This was also my favorite when traveling with more that two people.  Larger rooms, good breakfast buffet, and very quiet location.  This location would be more like an "American" environment than the other "Parisian" properties.  A large shopping mall is next door, and transportation abounds via Metro/RER.  You cannot walk to much here, and taxi's will be expensive to get to any tourist sights or dining in Paris itself.  You can get to The C-E in less than 15 minutes, and the Louvre/Notre Dame area in less than 20 minutes. 

KIF_0876.JPG

This is one-half of the two br room.  Pleas excuse my buddy, "Mende", relaxing on a most comfortable bed.  This picture does not do this room "Justice".  With only 10 floors, and a nice CL on that floor, try to get on the 10th!  It's very nice!

Lastly, Pluto, recently stayed there and has written some positive comments about La Defense!

*      Ren. Vendome

Having only stayed here once, the first thing that you will notice, is the very expensive pricing!  The rooms are very small, very small dining area, and recent reports have not been positive when discussing the staff. 

Would also say that the location was really not that special for me.  Yes, you can walk to The Louvre, Nortre Dame, and The Left Bank.  However, they are all easily seen via "Big Green hop on/off bus, or Metro".

This would be my last choice!

I hope this has been of some help!

Location Brand Hotel
        Paris La Defense Cedex, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel
          photochick Platinum

Hi Jerry,

This is SUPER helpful. I'm actually leaning in the direction of the Ren AdT. My husband is a fan of modern architecture and recently built properties, so that definitely perked his interest. I think the "laid back" nature of it might be more us. You had several glowing reviews which I just finished reading. Do you know what they are doing currently re breakfast for Platinum? A post you had from a year or two ago said comp breakfast in the restaurant or room service.

I think the other one we are considering is the Le Parc Trocadero - any comments for it? Someone we know recommended that area but  had not stayed at that specific property.

I think we're taking Vendome off the list. Marriott CE is still in the running for all the good things you have said about it and the central location but I am still thinking we might be better suited for one of the Renaissance properties.

Thanks!!

Location Brand Hotel
          Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero Hotel

photochick,

Do yourself a favor and establish contact directly with the hotel!

Here is a direct email address and feel free to use my name, and send your request along with these pictures

, they do know me, and have always treated me very special.

renaissancearcdetriomphe@renaissancehotels.com

IMG_2299.JPG

This is Remi/Elisabeth, I hope they can help you, just tell them what you are looking for!

IMG_1637.JPG

Remi, is a real professional and most helpful.

Please check this place out!  It is a good location!

photochick Platinum

Jerry,

Thanks for all the advice, I am going to spend more time over the weekend with my husband to make a final decision. I think we are likely to go with the Ren AdT. I just read a number of recent favorable reviews on Trip Advsior. Seems like a good fit for us!

photochick,

Do what you feel comfortable doing!

I am not a travel agent, and have "No skin in the game", I just want you to have a wonderful time no matter where you stay!

Whatever you decide, there are plenty of us who will share our experiences with you!

photochick,

One last thought!

Make sure you get in touch with the RAdT, and make sure you know what there "Perks" are!

With what I am reading, there are "Cutbacks" everywhere.

You need to "Take names, and protect yourself'!

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...