4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 11:10 PM by californian RSS

Watch your Rewards points

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I checked in at the Marco Island Marriott using points.  that evening, I signed on to my Marriott account and my point balance dropped.  I looked at the transactions and my TP cat 7 hotel certificate had been canceled and 140,000 was taken from my account.  When they canceled the TP hotel part, I got back 45,000 points.  This cost me 95,000 points.  I took over an hour working with a manager last night and one was supposed to call Rewards to find out what happened.  They did not but I did.  The hotel said that Marriott did it.  Rewards told me that the hotel canceled the TP cert and took the other out.  Rewards fixed it.  After complaining to FDM at hotel, they gave me 15,000 for my trouble.

If I had not noticed this, I would have been out 95,000 pts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Watch your Rewards points
    erc Platinum

Californian

This is an excellent heads up about monitoring your balance. I remember last year reading about incidences where some properties took it upon themselves to attempt to move the point value up to the new category**. So everyone who books a rising Category reservation before the May 15th deadline for a stay after May 15th, be sure to doublecheck their bill and account balance to guard against the incremental 5,000 point per night, 'creep'.  Thanks for sharing Cal.

**I'm not talking about changing reservations (if you change a reservation after May 15th, the revised reservation is of course at the new category charge, increasing the size of your deduction of points). Here's another warning/suggestion; after May 15th, before you 'adjust' a reservation (like going from a king to two doubles - even if they are the same dollar rate as your original reservation) talk to the rep and make certain it won't automatically wipe out your reservation and therefore throw you into the new higher category rating, thus increasing your point charge. And of course lastly, keep track of which reservations are the ones that are booked at the old categories, last year I forgot one, switched to the next night, realized it after getting off the phone, and WHAM that baby was gone. Ouch, to add insult to injury, I was certain I could feel the suits laughing at me

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Excellent advice from both Californian and erc, thanks kids.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Like I always say, "you have to watch everything that you do in life"!   Nice job in staying on top of this---glad you got some bonus points back!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Thanks Lonestar.  It seems that this sort of thing is happening more often.  Everything is work.  The points were a nice touch and it showed that they did care.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...