5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2013 10:55 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Colmer, France, "A Historic Gem"!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This one is for you Gem Princess!

You brought back great memories of trips that people should take to enjoy the wonderful countryside of Alsace-Lorraine!  This is not only a wonderful region filled with beautiful vineyards, but a place that is a "Gateway" from France into Germany, and Switzerland.  It is about a three hour drive from Paris, and you can go two different ways.  You can go thru Dijon, and Burgundy (The fastest, or go thru Champagne country.  Either way is relaxing, inexpensive, and fun for the whole family.  If you drive, stay at The Marriott Euro-Disney, and take your time along the way!

The nearest Marriott is in Basel, Switzerland, which is an industrial town on the Rhine River.

Across the Rhine from Colmer is Freiburg, Germany, another very interesting city.  These are all interesting "Small towns" that are a lot of fun to visit, and much lower in price, than major cities of Europe.

Here are a few photo's and information on the Colmer area:

HPIM0569.JPG

Here's the Rhine as you go from Germany to France at Colmer!

HPIM0574.JPG

The "Round-A-Bout" in Colmer, hosts a smaller version of "The Statue of Liberty"!

HPIM0581.JPG

The interesting "Small towns" make it fun to visit as many as you can!

HPIM0589.JPG

Vineyards are everywhere, this is my buddy Dave Lehmann's "Ancestors", we had a great time here!

HPIM0602.JPG

Having been lucky to stay at this fine hotel in Ammischwir, just North of Colmer, you can enjoy fantastic Country French dishes, at a wonderful reasonable price.  Note, they do not speak English!  It reminds me of Chevy Chase, in the movie "European Vacation", "Who were those people"!

HPIM0603.JPG

My late Father in Law, use this tower, as an "Observer" as he went into WWII.  Really cool town, in Ammischwer, France!

HPIM0619.JPG

Le Streusel, in Colmer, is a great place to relax and dine!

HPIM0621.JPG

The canals of Comer are really beautiful, even in October!

Hope this brings back great memories for you GP

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Colmar, France
  • Re: Colmer, France, "A Historic Gem"!
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Great post and photos, Jerry!

I, too, prefer the quaint, small towns!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr,

Thanks!

It is a great place, and tomorrow, I hope to add a few pictures!

nhm,

If you like "Quaint" towns, you will like nearby (20 miles) Freiburg, Germany!

Here are a few photo's, of this very special place:

HPIM0534.JPG

Downtown, is very friendly, and most interesting!

HPIM0523.JPG

Freiburg is famous for all of it's local cheeses!

Enjoy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...