52 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 10:51 PM by vaboywnder Branched to a new discussion. RSS

The four hundred dollar Courtyard experience.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Yes you read this right. 

A Courtyard in downtown Boston MA is now charging $399 a night for a regular room later this month, and that's just for the beds, no breakfast or even free coffee offered!  You want two doubles instead of the king? $429 is the rack rate for one night in a few weeks.  Want to park your car there?  Add another $43 dollars for parking valet (no self is available). 

This seems high, but then this is currently a category six, and most likely will be a seven after May 15th.

Anyone who tells you that room rates are not that high is either on an expense account or not paying attention.  Just sayin'.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
  • Re: The four hundred dollar Courtyard experience.
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Count me "Out" for staying there!

That pricing is absurd!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Amazingly it is true Jerry!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

either way, they're not payin'...

I ain't paying that, that's for sure.

anadyr,

Decided to cancel my Chicago trip this Summer, for this reason.  When it is $50 a night, just to park my car for the evening, I am going elsewhere!

My just drive North, and see the backwoods of MN/WI, or ?

No $400 CY for me either!

We all have price awareness and the fact is that prices are skyrocketing, while service declines, IMHO.

Being perfectly honest, there's no service, or hotel room, worth $400 to me.  Anywhere, any brand.

Husker, I gotta agree, but there apparently are folks who will pay the price.  I recall BOQs in Hawaii were 20 bucks, or so, and just as nice as could be!

curiousone Platinum

Parking is getting bad everywhere. I have decide to plan my trips where there is good public transportation, if at all possible: Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston. While walking around San Diego a couple of weeks ago I kept noticing Smart cars parked all over town that said "Car2Go". It is a new service lets you take a car by the minute  ($0.38 includes fuel and insurance). As long as you are in the "home" area, just drive to where you want to go and leave it and the clock stops and somebody else can then take it. If you want to make sure the car will be there when you are done, you have to keep the clock running, but nobody can take it. We will be trying the Car2Go this weekend in Portland along with the light rail, trolley and Segways.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

curiousone,

You might also consider using the ZipCar Service.  You can rent cars by the hour.

www.zipcar.com

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Courtyard Ocean CIty MD is often $499 plus with three day min!!! I think its a Cat 7 GOING to 8 next month....

Wow-I sense a trend here, and not a good one!

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Supply and demand. My OC post is a LITTLE unfair. The information is true, but OC has no other Marriott properties. AND not many other high end properties. (CY isn't high end, but most properties are mom and pop motels.) Hilton Suites can be $600-$700!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Rack rate at the Marriott at Legacy Town center Plano, tx was $319.00 for Monday-Wednesday this week.  I asked for the JCPenney corporate rate (home office is less than 1 mile away) and received a $189.00/nite rate.  Also, when I checked in., I was greeted warmly (PP) and thanked for my loyalty..  Then was handed the keys to a wonderful suite.  This place is becoming one of my favorite stops.....

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

That's insane!  I have, however, seen this in Honolulu too... I was looking at staying at the Courtyard for a work function I had nearby, but they were asking for $520/night because occupancy was high... no thanks!  I don't understand how that's a justifiable cost when a higher-end, full service property was still charging less than that! 

kh,

I think shoeman has the plan!

I stayed last night at a "Tired" FF in Central MO., there were "Sold-out" so I could not get a break on $115/rate. 

Recently, at a FS, Marriott in STL, which was not full, the computer best rate was $180 per night.  When I approached the Front Desk, I explained that I had an existing reservation, next door, at a CY, and my budget was only $100 per night.  They said they would give me "The hospital rate" (Nearby group of hospitals).  So they gave me the room for $100, and Concierge Floor as well!

That's what you call pulling a "Shoeman"!

Jerry,

LOL, that's a good one! 

It used to be that this CY would give me special concessions for being a kama'aina + an Elite + an annual return customer, but that seems to have gone away... Very disappointing.  It has me debating whether or not I should take my business elsewhere... Hyatt perhaps?  We'll see! 

kh,

Don't be "Discouraged", just look at it like Pluto and The Professor do, "Look at all the options"!

Jerry,

Very true!  It's just sad that loyalty doesn't seem to matter to this property anymore... speaking of loyalty, I tried to use a anniversary certificate at Ren. LHR for November, but the one I have expires in October.  I tried to get an extension, and the Plat associate flat out said no, even after staying I had no other use for it this year!  Very unhappy right now...

kh,

Sad and sorry for you!

There seems to be a "Master Computer-HAL", making decisions about most matters!

There has to be a "Common Sense" approach to situations like you!

Jerry,

It's alright.  I plan on trying the CY at least once more, especially if I can't get MR to give me an extension on my certificate... If things have truly gotten worst, I'll evaluate switching to Hyatt Place for a similar priced staycation in Waikiki. 

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

dollard Alumni Steward Silver 11 Reviews

All depends on a few things if you think about it.(Like the Following) Check prices with flex dates and see if it is like that every month or just that time.

1. Is there a big event in the city
    2. Is most of the hotel already booked
    3. It has become full most nights and see when the price goes up they loose that many people.
    4. It is a busy season for Boston.

Chicago I will be going to an event in Septemeber that the Expo books a lof the rooms for a cheaper price but then you go out to book the rooms direct they are a hundred dollars more expensive because they have made a deal with all the hotel to get a cheaper rate. Well if your not with the expo during that week in chicago you will either pay more money or not have a room if you wait until almost that time.

I do understand special event pricing, but there is no special event at that time in Boston, since the Marathon will be one week earlier?

fhllast4ever Platinum

That is highway robbery  in its finest form.

If I'm in Boston and  there is no other choice, I wil move on to the next town or just sleep in my car.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I've never been to Boston before but will be traveling there this fall for a conference.  I noticed the majority of the hotels in the downtown area charge $300 plus a night in addition to high parking fees.  Fortunately I qualify for the government rate and was able to book the Renaissance Boston Waterfront hotel for $183 a night.  Even the government rate seems high to me but it's a lot better than the $300+ rate.  I've decided not to rent a car on this trip to help save parking expenses.  I've heard Boston has a really good transportation system so I plan to take the T train from the airport to the hotel and other areas downtown.  If I need to go somewhere the Train does not access I can also use the Zip Car service.  There are four zip cars in close walking distance to the Renaissance.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Unfortunately, even at $400 a night there is no free coffee. (I just had to do it. )

Well at four hundred they comp the coffee (a two bucks a pop!).  Wish our daughter well today as she competes in her first Boston Marathon--starts in two hours or less!!!!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Best to your daughter for a good race.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I hope she's okay.  That bombing for such an event is so tragically sad.  I hope that whoever did it is caught and punished as a terrorist.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I hope your daughter is OK.  Please let us know!

eb,

That is too funny!

Great story!

Jerry,

I think you're talking about the clerk at CY who said she didn't charge me for parking after saying that I would be and acting like she knew I'd be able to get out of the parking lot with an active key anyway.  I moved that over to the CY review after I was posted that it needed to be there.  I didn't want to leave you hanging with that, though.

Thanks for posting that anadyr and all of his family were okay and had left.   

eb,

Your story is another example of a "Head Shaker"!

anadyr, has now posted an update on his situation, and we are all glad to hear his news that his family is OK!

Now you want a cute story?  This is for nuhusker.  An e-mail I just got and needed the laugh today.

You can never underestimate the innovativeness of American Farm Boys :
            At a high school in Nebraska, a group of male students played a prank.
            They let three goats loose inside the school.
            But before turning them loose, they painted numbers on the sides of the goats: 1, 2 and 4.
            School Administrators spent most of the day looking for No. 3.
            Now that's funny, I don't care who you are...
            And you thought there was nothing to do in Nebraska!

Thank you for that smile this early in the morning. 

De nada.  El gusto es mio.  (It's nothing.  The pleasure is mine.)

I always say that there is no place like Nebraska.  And the fewer people that settle there for any other reason, the better...

californian, and all,

anadyr, and his family are all OK, and out of Boston!

He will directly be able to fill you in, but I think it is very difficult for them right now.

From what I know, the daughter had a cramp, and was one mile from the finish at the time of explosion, and anadyr's train was halted from a distance from the same explosion.

Thank-goodness, they are all-right!

Again, I am sure he will share the real "Facts" with you when he can!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

The Courtyard in downtown Little Rock, Arkansas will continue to serve free coffee in the lobby until renovations begin in November.  Then it is mandated that a Starbucks be included in the renovations.  The coffee that is available in the room is the same as that served downstairs.  I'm not a coffee drinker, but my brother said it was good.  I had an interesting discussion with the general manager of the hotel who was behind the desk on a Saturday morning.  He knows what his loyal guests prefer, but can't override the corporate office.

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

Wow.  I don't think so! 

I don't even care if there is an event going on - it's really not right to gouge people.  Not that I haven't seen it happen.  (Detroit during a Taylor Swift Concert at Ford Field when we were going to Comerica for a Tiger's game and all the Taylor Swift fans drove up the hotels surround it.)

The only place I've paid big money was at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, but it also includes two fantastic meals a day.

I'll close saying what the "Yoopers" would say to this -

Holy Wa!

Mary

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...