0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 9:24 PM by anth120 RSS

The Minor Leagues

anth120 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Right up the street from the Courtyard on Montage Mountain is Lackawanna County Stadium, a place where my family, friends, and I would catch a Scranton-Wilkes Barre Red Barons minor league baseball game while I was growing up. (The Red Barons were the farm team of the Philadelphia Phillies at the time.) Tickets were cheap and the stadium was small, but that didn't keep us from having a good time. The "Grump" (mascot) was well known in the area and shared some of the antics of the Philly Phanatic (the Phillies mascot). I remember fondly seeing young ball players try to prove themselves such as Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard, and Cole Hamels.  When I moved to Philadelphia for college, my first game at Veteran's Stadium was also Chase Utley's first major league game - in which he hit a grand slam home run. This no-name minor leaguer had just made his initial mark on Philadelphia sports history.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...