36 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2013 9:19 AM by GemPrincess RSS

One of the best hotels in which you've ever stayed was...?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was wondering if anyone had started a best of list for hotels on this site?  The idea would be to compile a list of the best places you've ever stayed, regardless of location or price and post it on MRI.

My favorite, though it's been a while, is The Royal Horseguards Hotel on the Thames in downtown London. 

Situated directly on the river, it defined elegance and proper decorum for me the many times that I stayed there.  From the nightly free shoeshines, to the pressing of garments, and the valet service available, this is British excellence at its best.  Not inexpensive, but then things that impress seldom are. Rates are sometimes around 200 GPB but range as high as 800 GBP. There is an option to include twice daily meals in all room types.

My days of visiting officials at the seat of government are done now, but the memories of the Horseguards lingers on.

So my questions are:

1. Have you been to this hotel and what do you think of it?

2. What is your all-time favorite hotel?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Munich, Germany
Zermatt, Switzerland
Nice, France
Deer Valley, Utah, USA
  • Re: One of the best hotels in which you've ever stayed was...?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Great idea for a post!

1.     No, I have walked by The Royal Horseguards, but never really remember seeing it.  It must be right across the street from The actual "Horseguards" site.  Just down the street from #10 Downing?

IMG_0265.JPG

Does this look familiar!  It must be very close, these are "The Queens Guard's"!

Does sound and look like a wonderful hotel!

2.     Years ago, I was working in Wilmington, DE, and decided to stay at The DuPont!  This had to be 1980, and I had read it was one of the best hotels in America.  It was very nice, and very formal.  I had my boss with me, he was from Houston, Texas.  He got so upset at breakfast when the Maitre de made him go back to his room and put a necktie on!

Never stayed there again!  But it was a "Memorable, and Royal" place to stay for a "Mid-Western guy", who thought a HI was plush!

Thanks again for the post!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Wilmington, Delaware, USA
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I beleive GEMPrincess already did this posting a few months ago.  So I won't comment here.

lone6star,

Thanks for that information!

GP, I am sorry, I just don't remember, but could have missed it!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I hope your question includes any Marriott property, because that is what I am going to use as the criteria.

It's a toss up between all of these in no particular order:

Seattle Marriott Waterfront

Autograph Collection Scrub Island

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua

Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina/Napili Tower

Probably another or two I should add but can't recall then right now.

IAHFLYR,

Yes, that Seattle property is wonderful.

Would also like to mention:

San Diego, Marriott Marina

Vail Marriott

JW Indianapolis

JW WDC

There are more great ones!

jerrycoin,

I'd say our last two stays at the San Diego Marriott Marina did not come close to the extended weekend we had last Memorial Day at the Coronado Marriott. The marina location is just too busy with conventions and other nonsense, but the location is good for being in/near downtown San Diego.

We had a 2 BR villa just southwest of the main complex in a little four villa complex.  The view was grand, walks around Coronado waterfront and area within a mile of the property were perfect to find little spots for a drink or bite to eat, and then you have the sunsets at The Del.

And yes, completely agree with the JW in Washington, D.C.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

IAHFLYER

your list is spot on!  I have never been to scrub island, but all of the others would also be on my list of favorites. 

I was gone so my fault.

Anadyr,

If this is about hotels not restricted to Marriott, then I have to add the Munich Airport Kempinski.......WOW, perfect for an overnight prior to the flight back to the U.S. the next morning.

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

A couple of my favorite hotels are the Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern in Lucerne, Switzerland, the Grand Hotel Suisse in Montreux, Switzerland, DSC01167.JPG

the Grand Cayman Ritz Carlton http://ritzcarlton.com/NR/rdonlyres/278A58C6-9217-4BB4-9ACD-D2CB97A4D633/0/Ritz_GrandCayman_00153_920x518.jpgand the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, MI.  http://media.mlive.com/grandrapidspress/photo/2012/03/10648069-standard.jpg

Hotel BerghofDSC01208.JPG

I quite liked the Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky in Amsterdam, the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa in Honolulu, the Hotel Berghof in Zermatt, Switzerland, and the Westin at Detroit Metro Airport.  I really like Marriott Residence Inn's (depending on the city) and JW Marriott's anywhere.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

anadyr

Have not been to The Royal Horseguards Hotel yet, but since you recommend it, I would certainly like to try it.

My favorite hotels are:

• Bangkok Oriental (Mandarin Hotel Chain) - which has also been rated he #1 hotel by many travel magazines.  After listening to stories from my father-in-law and uncles that traveled alot about this property, and my girlfiend's father who was lucky enough to live at this hotel, I had to try it.  One travel writer wrote about this property, that there are only 3 people in this world that will care about what you like, your mother, your lover and the Bangkok Oriental.  The stories from those that preceeded me were that they would remember what you like (no one is quite sure how as many of this precedes computers), and will make sure its there without asking, from the pickup at the airport with the Rolls Royce by a uniformed driver with white gloves, till your luggage magically appears from the airport baggage area to being unpacked,.cleaned and pressed, and put away in the closet or dresser as appropriate, orchids and gardenias all over the room, wonderfully cushy robes and slippers.  I have always said I would go and stay a week there as my vaca, maybe taking some cooking classes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_Oriental,_Bangkok

• Çırağan Palace (A Kempinski Hotel) - a former Ottoman Palace that the Kempinski hotel chain was allowed to buy provided they agreed to restore it to its original state.  Its a gorgeous hotel, on the Bosphorous, with an infinity pool where you can look at the Bsophours while swimming laps, and listen to the calls of the Musezzin.  John Kennedy Jr. chose this property for his honeymoon. The only other hotel pools that have been as spectacular, are the Marriott Ledra Athens roof top pool with views of the acropolis, and the motels on the edge of Pammakale pools over looking the pools, the valley and the Taurus Mountains.      

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%87%C4%B1ra%C4%9Fan_Palace

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamukkale

Other threads on  hotels & loyalty programs...let me know if there are others we should add

Hotel philosophy

Which Hotel Brand has the Best Loyalty Program?

Hall of Fame - Nominations???

Hall of Shame - Nominations!

Zagat Hotel Chain Ratings

gp,

Another great report!

Since it looks like we are allowed to mention more that one (Ok, anadyr?)

Here's a few more!

Not far from one of trippin's favorites in Zermatt

IMG_1489.JPG

The Zermatterhof, is a wonderful place to stay at Christmas!

IMG_2669.JPG

Stein Erickson Lodge, Deer Valley, Utah.  Some regard as the best ski lodge in America!

FH050018.jpg

The Carleton, Nice, France.  Facing the Med. Sea, it is a wonderful location to see the coast, as well as Monte Carlo!

There are too many great ones, too bad most of them I cannot afford for more than a night!

Location Brand Hotel
      Zermatt, Switzerland
      Nice, France
      Deer Valley, Utah, USA
        trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

Wow jerrycoin, that Carleton in Nice looks exceptional!!  I've always wanted to go to the south of France.  Hopefully in the future!!

JC,

Have lived in Nice, though not as nice of digs as the Carlton.  We were in a dorm room for ~30 USD/month.  It was pretty crowded in there with my sister and i sharing a room built for 1.

Also, my thread with profchiara reminded me of another independent that is very rasonable in Turkey with great History.  Its a 400+ year old Caravansarai...I absolutely love the place...check out the pictures at this link.

carvansari.jpg

http://www.kusadasihotelcaravanserail.com/home.html

GP,

There is something about "Simplicity" that can make one very happy!

Can you imagine being in that place with your Sister now?

JC,

Actually we did go back, and enjoyed all the things we can now afford.

That room had a typical European bed (plywood that was about 4 feet by 3 feet covered by about 1 inch of foam).

considering we are both tall, over legs always hung off the end of the bed, and it was 1,2,3 turn.

I did try this in Belgium to save some money for the company and stayed in a 2-3 star place, with the same sort of bed, but told my boss unless he wanted to pay my hospital bill for being in traction after sleeping on plywood covered by 1 inch foam, that I was returning to the Soffitel

The 2-3 star place also had such a small bathroom, I had to turn sideways to get into it.  There was no closet, just a metal bar between the door and bathroom, topped by 3 metal bars on top for a shelf.

I learned what every star in the rating system meant in terms of hotel room while there.

but it was still better than moving.  They had wanted me to move, but our salaries are considerably lower than the Europeans, and the cost of living higher, so staying on business travel was a great compromise.

The RH is one special place, and if you have business with MI-5 or 6, you can enter without being noticed!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...