14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 11:31 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Hong Kong, 3 Star Dining!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

"Lung King Heen"

This may be the only Chinese dining in the World that has a Three Star Michelin Rating!

Specialty is "Bird's Nest Soup" but obviously, most everything on the menu has to be pretty good.

Have not been yet, but it does sound "Intriguing"

Has anyone else had any experience or knowledge of this fine place?

It is not far from most Marriott properties!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hong Kong, China JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong
Xiangshan, China
  • Re: Hong Kong, 3 Star Dining!
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Dining in Chinese restaurants, and most Asian restaurants, is by word of mouth, or tradition.  I have never known any Asian friends or family to pick a resgtaunt based on a rating.

In both Washington D.C. and Hong Kong, we were introduced to restaurants by friends, family and acquaintances from school and work.  One of the most interesting things I encountered was a favored Chinese restaunt in DC in Chinatown, that we walked into one day for dinner, and were told there were no available tables, even though the restaurant was completely empty.  Turns out every table was reserved for a particular person, who came on a regular basis every Saturday and sat at the same table every week.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GP,

While this may be true, there is nothing greater to a restaurant than attaining a high position on a "Best List"!

I would have never know of this place, if it had not been listed on the only 3 * Michelin Guide.

Really don't know enough people that could recommend fine dining to me.

Again, that has been my experience.

JC,

I would be leary of any European rating system of Asian food.

I rather doubt that they understand it at all.

GP,

So well put!

This very well be another "Big Deal not Worth it"

Probably absurdly expensive!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Zagat says a meal is just under $500 there!

anadyr,

Thanks for the information on the cost!

Well I think I know two guys that will not be dining there.  NU and me!

The last Chinese food I had was the night before getting together with NU, in Burlington, Iowa.  It was a great meal and was under $10!

Something tells me the rooms have really got to be expensive in HK. (Since I was there in 1981)!

There are some very elite Asian restaurants, that carry rare specialities that can cost alot, but I would not even venture to try this on my own, as there are alot of fakes out there.

When we were in Hong Kong, one of our college friends from Lantau showed up with his wife to take us to dinner.  We were staying at the Regent (long before Marriotts were in Hong Kong) on family recommendations, where they picked us up.  We went down the elevator into a warren of underground passage ways with intriguing shops, and then up an elevator to the top of a building (not even sure where we were at, and no restaurant sign).  We stepped off the elevator, and walked through a doorway where the entire staff was lined up either side of the doorway, bowing to our friend.  We ate a multi-course meal of special dishes, some unique to Hong Kong, others, seasonal ingredients from mainland China.  Never saw a check, but I suspect it was not cheap.  We jokingly called him Taipan or big shot, which there is probably more truth to then we knew at the time, as he went on to buy the racetrack and the Hong Kong version of Playboy magazine and clubs.

gp,

Great story, and also illustrates, "You may want to be careful, when dining in HK, and other similar cities". 

A friend with the Canadian Mint told me a story of how they went to a similar place, and the menu was "Monkey Brains"

Don't think I will find that on the menu in Burlington, Iowa!

Monkey brains is not anything I have encountered.

Some of these dishes are for sensational purposes only.  Like in Thailand, when you see Mongoose on the menu. That is usually a touristy thing, as most Asian's would not eat mongoose, which is often the family pet like our dogs, and protect children from snakes.  The one place we saw, was actually run by an expat American Vet living in Thailand and running a restaurant primarily for tourists.

Restaurant we went to, the specialties we tried were

• ham from mainland china that is only available in the month of Jan, hence a seasonal specialty
                  • snake soup made from 4 types of snake which is a Hong Kong winter specialty. One news program I saw on this said that snake is an easy to raise protein source in limited space, and showed small rooms stacked with cages of snakes.  Recent news articles indicate this specialty is in danger of extinction as they are not training new snake handlers.

My personal eatting habits abroad are usually more mundane.  My favorite places in Hong Kong are for Yum Cha (Cantonese) for what is also known as Dim Sum (Mandarin), noodle and rice shops, etc.  I find this way more interesting that upscale restaurnats where you could literally be anywhere in the world.  I like to wander the streets, read the menus, looks at the food in the menu, the people in the restaurants eating it, and then pick the most interesting ones to try in my limited time there.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/01/29/travel/snake-soup-can-be-a-charmer.html

GP,

Yes, that does make sense!  A lot of these dishes are a form of advertisement!

On my only trip to HK, Macao and South China, most dishes were very good.  Did witness a strange drink in China, "Mouse Wine", yes it was mice in a wine bottle and was especially popular with "Expecting Mother's".  Took a pass on that one!

JC,

Never heard about this one, nor are there any references on the web, but will ask my Chinese friends about it.  May ask a few different ones, as it could be a very localized thing.

Most refereneces I found were using mice as one of the models to study the effect of Western or Traditional Chinese medicine as this animal model has a short lifespan, and is the best way to study reproductive and generational changes.

Both the US FDA, and the Chinese SFDA require animal models to approve medicines and cosmetic products for use by the public.  Matter of fact, one of the major controversies now are the vegan's who will not use face and body products tested on animals.  Apparently, many manufactures who were doing this, had to change and use animal models when they opened markets in China, as it is required there to sell.

GP,

They may not make it anymore?

But I think they do! (I have a picture but not on this computer).

We were going from Macao to Sun Yat Sen's Birthplace, but I really don't remember the name of the city!

JC,

So Southeast China perhaps Canton?

I will ask around, but alot of my friends are from the North (Bejing & Shanghai), highly educated, and have spent more time in the US than China. Interesting thing I have found, is that folks that were born and studied under the Mao regime primarily studied technology, and know very little about China culturally outside what their family and friends do.

gp,

I was in Xiangshan, Guangdong, China and it was very interesting.  That is South China.

Location Brand Hotel
                            Xiangshan, China

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...