2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2013 1:35 PM by anadyr RSS

Growing up with Cardinal baseball

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Much of my childhood memories revolve around the St Louis Cardinals.  As young boys, my brother and I would ride the streetcar down to Sportsman's Park, and as members of the 'knothole gang', we would peek in though holes in the fence to catch a peek at our beloved Redbirds.  Then, after the 7th inning stretch, the guardians of the gates would let us into the park to view the game a bit closer up.  St Louis had many afternoon games that they called "businessmen's special" and those games gave us the  opportunity to catch a few innings after school.  Of course, the night games were the best.  Those were followed on our trusty transistor radios, most often in bed with the lights out, as bedtime was early in our family.  The excitement of following my hero's,Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Roger Maris (yes, he was a Redbird for a few years in late 60's), Curt Flood, Lou Brock, Ken Boyer, Julian Javier, and on and on, was enhanced by listening to the broadcast team of Jack Buck and Harry Carey.  Those were days my friend..............

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Louis, MO, USA
  • Re: Growing up with Cardinal baseball
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

shoeman,

Well put and so true!

There is no nation like "The Cardinal Nation"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    St. Louis, MO, USA
  • Re: Growing up with Cardinal baseball
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The good old days for sure Shoeman

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...