86 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2013 7:43 PM by patrish Branched to a new discussion. RSS

London "A Travel Helper"!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

If you are going to London for the first time, or are an experience "London Pro", this may help save you time and money!

The "Tess Miller" website is free, and has helped me with maps, tickets, dining, getting around London, and more, go to:

LondonTown.com

A special USA phone line also is available:

800-986-9403

Enjoy!

Tally-Ho!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
  • Re: London "A Travel Helper"!
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Jerry,

Thank you for sharing this!  What a great resource! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kh,

Thanks!

When you have a specific question, just let me know!

Thanks Jerry!  Will do

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

JerryCoin: Thanks for the tip. I go to London on Biz 5-6x per year and then 1X with family, so we will check this out.

stelzer001,

Let us know what you think!

Keep us in mind if you can meet us MRI at County Hall in May!

Jerrycoin - will do. I am going in about 2 weeks, and then need to work out more trips with my team in the UK.

stezer,

We are planning on having a few MRI get together for a few laughs, and "Story sharing" at Marriott County Hall, at 7 PM on Wed., May 15th.  There is no agenda, everyone is "On their own" for rooms, refreshments or dinner.

It will allow a few of us to relax and bring each other "Up to date", since we last did this at CH!

You and everyone else is more than welcome!

sg1974 Gold

Saw this deal today: http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/discover-the-south-bank-6

It might be worth checking the terms and conditions to see if it is all okay.

These are expensive attractions and 2 for 1 is a good deal.

sg,

That's a great picture of County Hall!

Likewise, a great offer, and a couple of those attractions are right outside the doors of CH!

Thanks for sharing with us!

ams10 Platinum

sg1974,

Thanks for yet another great tip!  Just printed off my voucher.

ams10

sg1974 Gold

ams10,

glad the deals are suitable, enjoy!

sg

sg1974 Gold

Another deal today, this time the Ritz: http://local.amazon.co.uk/West-London/B00C9J2I4G?src=email&cid=em_dd_lw1_101_uk_s1_&ref_=pe_216621_35627431

This might be of interest to some of you that would like the chance to visit the Ritz.

sg.

Thanks for this one!

Just changed my reservation on May 13th, to this special!

This is a very good deal!

Thanks, and please keep these "Specials" coming.

sg1974 Gold

jerry,

i get multiple daily deals, most are rubbish but I'll certainly pass on the one's that seem to be good.

sg

sg,

Please do!

I bought the voucher for the three course dinner on Monday, May 13 at 8 PM! 

SG. if we get together on Wed, May 15th, I will return the favor and sponsor the first glass!

I have already go something from the "States" to bring you as well!

Please let me know when you see other opportunities like this one!

erc Platinum

sg1974 , jerrycoin pluto77 and all others

1) I've booked about three London activities thru sg's deals (London Eye, hop on hop off, Thames cruise)

2) I would have booked the Flamenco night in Covent Garden on Tuesday if I didn't already have tickets for Matilda in West End

3) I have had excellent luck finding good meal deals thru Toptable (affiliated with America's OpenTable). Hopefully these links come thru:

but if they don't - go to toptable.co.uk - they send you daily offers (5-15 or so a day) and now that we're all closer to our departure, they've

"gone live".   Good stuff.  Here's two I'm doing

http://www.toptable.co.uk/paramount?rid=68761&offer=113478&cmpid=nl130409_k&mxmroi=168-415235358-48140991-0

http://www.toptable.co.uk/asia-de-cuba?rid=4051&offer=113517&cmpid=nl130409_k&mxmroi=168-415235358-48140994-0

4) I really think this is the future of Insiders - rather than tilting at windmills trying to get Marriott to change benefit policies, spending our effort sharing our travel experiences, ideas, and deals like Travelzoo, goldstar, amazonlocal, toptable etc

One day we might even have a 'deals' post like Flyertalk has for the concierge lounge (calling my forum hero skiadcock )

Go man, go

erc,

I Agree with you on this one, as well!

sg1974 Gold

erc,

Toptable is a good resource, we use opentable also on our trips to the US.

it would be nice to have a section on the site with some of the more popular cities and have a list of deals that are currently available for main attractions.

I'm not sure if this is the one that you booked up, but it is available again: http://local.amazon.co.uk/Central-London/B00C77E2A8?src=email&cid=em_dd_lw1_101_uk_s1_&ref_=pe_216621_35643251_md

I did check the premium tours website and it is a genuine saving. http://www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours/tour/classic-open-top-bus-tour-including-changing-o.id137.html

you do need to be careful and check prices with these deals as they aren't always the bargain they appear.

SG

sg,

Ot looks like I have booked on the "Discounted site"!

I am hoping so, because I was going to The London Ritz any war on that date to begin with.

Will print out the voucher and see.

Thanks so much for your help.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Jerrycoin~

sg1974 Gold

Jerry,

I'm sure you will be fine, just bring along the voucher and there won't be a problem.

We have never had an issue with any of the places that we have visited.

I always check the actual website of the attraction / restaurant to ensure the deal really is a genuine good price before booking.

SG

SG,

Thanks for sharing with me this information!

Please look at my post on "Hand & Flowers", It sounds like a wonderful Pub in Marlow!

erc Platinum

Oh yeah, that's the one I grabbed, after, just like you, checking the competitors' market price. I've been bogo-ing and dealing long before Marriott opened their first sister brand, the infamous "business traveler" Courtyard (in '83/Atlanta). I also booked a combo London Eye/Covent Garden Grill meal visit and snagged a good river cruise from Travelzoo (which is included in the hop on deal, but I can't get enough of water and heights, yes, I'm going to the Shard, but can't get in the St. Mary Axe/Gherkin, all my Masters of the Universe pals are either retired or dead ). Travelzoo, by the way, every now and then throws a restaurant.com  http://www.restaurant.com/?loc=washington,  (put in zip code for whatever city, and whereas you won't find Gordo's places, it is a worthy deal site $25 for $10 etc) where you can get some  $25 for $4 deals at some pretty doggone good restaurants. Brabo in Old Town Alexandria   BRABO Restaurant, Alexandria - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor for example is often rated in the top 10, which is where we are dining before our Steve Tyrell Birchmere (my former Bluegrass/Seldom Scene hangout) show. Tyrell, as all you fellow geezers will recognize, was the singer that filled in at Cafe Carlyle after Bobby Short's passing and hangs out with Regis now and then.

And for you folks who are irritated at the United/Continental folks and have miles burning holes in your pocket, here's a Restaurant.com for points

Restaurant.com dining certificates

Keep 'em coming sports fans

erc,

Was at Covent Garden yesterday and wanted to give you a "Heads up"!  There is a roof over a lot of the area, but is was cold and raining yesterday, and I could not take a lot of it.  You can walk from C-H, but I took a taxi.  That was not good either, as they had three streets closed yesterday around C-G, and it was really a mess getting there by car.

Make sure you have two plans each day.  One for good weather and one for bad!  There is plenty to do from C-H, no matter what the weather!

ams10 Platinum

Thanks for the info. This Ritz special looks like a great deal.  Not sure if anyone has dined here before... £85 -- Luxury Champagne Dinner for 2 by the Thames, Reg £179 | Travelzoo Local Deals

ams10,

I have not dined here before, but anadyr has!

Will be making a reservation at RH for Tuesday, May, 14th.

ams, if you are in London, why not join a few of us on May 15th at 7 PM at County Hall! 

Thanks for letting me know about this deal.  anadyr, has spoke highly of this hotel!

ams10 Platinum

Jerrycoin,

Thanks so much for the invite to the group dine around!  Would have really liked that. Wife's a teacher so won't be leaving for LHR until June 2nd.  Will stay one night at JW GH and then train to Port Issac, Cornwall- Doc Martin Fans. when return will be at CH for rest of our visit.  Not sure how long your stay will be at CH.

Thanks Again!

ams10 Platinum

oophs.typo- should be Port Isaac.

ams10,

Sorry you can't make it this time!

We will try it some other time.  Will only be in London till May 18th.

Stay in touch ams, and let us know how your trip goes.

ams10 Platinum

Jerrycoin,

Sounds good. Will do. Hope you enjoy your trip!

sg,

This was a great deal on Monday night!  We really enjoyed table 39 (Jack Benny's age!), and plan to go back on Thursday night!  Do want to let you know this deal is NO longer available.  I think it was TOO popular!  It saved a couple around 50 GBP ($76), and the 2 glasses of champaign were normally 19 GBP each, ($28 each!). 

We are still going tomorrow night, and will enjoy one of the finest places to dine anywhere!

Thanks for this tip!  See you tonight!  Will be in lobby after 5:30!Chris f, and the Mrs. will be joining us, it should be fun!

Here's a photo from Monday night.  This is looking into the dining room from the front lobby.  (They won't take a photo of you in the dining room, but you can take one of your party if you like).

IMG_3220.jpg

This is a lovely place to dine!

IMG_2241.JPG

Ian Gomes, (Who played for years for Frank Sinatra), plays piano at The Ritz.  The music there is very special and relaxing!  He loves it when you say "Hello"!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerrycoin and Sg1974,

Thanks for all of the superb London "deal" info.  I'll be booking my week for next year very soon now - prior to May 15th.  Checking for new dates to open up each week.  I always feel a bit apprehensive when visiting a new city for the first time.  These tips should help us to be "armed and ready" like our good man Erc.

pluto,

We will all try to help you, just like you contribute to our travels!

pluto, you will be fine for your trip, you will have a lot's of help!

patrish Platinum 5 Reviews

Can you or anyone tell me if as a Gold Marriott Rewards member can I and my family of two more get free breakfast at the Marriott County Hall?  I stayed at the Marriott Park Lane and was pleasantly surprised to get free breakfast every morning before we set out on our day of sightseeing.  I am torn between staying at Park Lane or County Hall.  I'm seeing some bad reviews at County Hall but the location seems to be awesome. 

patrish,

Remember you will have a nice CL!

CH, will be a much better location!

You let me know when you are going, and I will ask them to assist you. I will be there on 5/12.

I know that it will seem like an eternity but I'm not going till, well Nov 13 is my check-in day.  My son and I are going on skymiles so I only have to pay the taxes.  I'll be getting the room on Marriott Reward points so "What a bargain"!  My grandson is also going.  I still haven't bought his ticket yet but will soon.  I know that's rainy season but I had real good luck with weather last year around the same time.  I've been there in the spring and it is beautiful.  I frequent the Marriot Casa Magna in Cancun and am a VIP there.  If you ever go south of the border I will ask the conceirge to assist you as well.  I'm still hoping for that free breakfast so do you think it's continental or hot breakfast and would we get lounge access.  My grandson will be 17 at the time of the trip.  His sister has been to London twice and I believe she'd love to go this time but I noticed that CH only allows 3 people per room.  I've read reviews where it sounded like there were 4 in the family.  Do they make an exception sometimes?  Can you enlighten me?

patrish,

Let me suggest you contact County Hall directly, and ask them about your situation.  I think they will work with you.  Please feel free to use my name, and I will personally follow-up for you on my next stay there in May.  I do know this situation was not a problem at The Renaissance La Defense.

email to:

mhrs.lonch.concierge@marriotthotels.com

Good luck!

Okay Jerry and have a safe trip and lots of fun.  I'll be looking for you posts.  I know that we can stay at Marble Arch (being 4 guests) but I'm sure County Hall is tons better.  Adios

patrish,

The Marble Arch is a nice place.  You have a lot to see and do in the area.  Have stayed there many times, and for the price/points it is fine.

You will have to walk toward the Marriott Grosvenor, and you can all catch the "Big Red Bus" which will take you all around London. 

You have The Odeon Movie theatre which is a wonderful place to see a movie. (I was Lawrence of Arabia there).

Just enjoy yourself and take "Your walking shoes"!

Do if you can, go to the Lobby's of the other Marriott's, if nothing else, they are great places to "Take a break"!

Location Brand Hotel
                  London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch

Jerrycoin has given you some really good advice. I am currently in London and staying at Marriott County Hall. I dont know Jerry is aware or not, but the Executive/Concierge Lounge does not permit people under the age of 18 in (not even for breakfast). This was new late last year, so patrish, if you are gold, you should ask for and get breakfast coupons to use in the restaurant, it is a lovely hot and cold breakfast buffett, that is if you stay at Marriott CH. As to # of people in the room, I take my family to London every year (around Christmas) and we are 4, stay at Marriott CH and my children are now 8 and 10, and we have never had an issue having 4 people in a room. It helps that we only need one rollaway bed, as one of the kids (believe it or not) likes to sleep on the floor (even at home, dont ask, we got them each great beds but my son just likes to sleep on the floor). Marriott at Marble Arch is, as Jerry says, a really nice hotel, I just prefer the more central location of County Hall.  I agree with Jerry that the lobbies of many of the Marriott's are really nice, and there is a new one, Threadneedles, which I will try on a future trip (it just opened this week) which the pictures show a lovely interior. enjoy your trip and good luck.

Thanks Stelzer.  This is the info that I was looking for.  I might rethink the 4 people in the room idea.  As much as I'd like her to go, she has already been there and did that and it's her brother and dad's turn.  I was really treated well at the Park Lane but I'd always wanted to stay at County Hall.  It seems there are more places in walking distance and just a happening place.  I was spoiled by not having the expense of breakfast (and I'm a breakfast eater on vacation) and I'm hoping for the same hospitality from CH. Speaking of food, I'd like to put a plug in for my favorite restaurant in London.  I stumbled upon it several years ago and it was just as delicious in 2012.  Navajo Joe's in Covent Garden.  Great area and I love the food there.  Navajo Joe's is also on the Tabletop in the UK web site and they have discounts and bogo deals.  I've seen bad reviews but I have always had good food.  Obviously it's Tex Mex but really good.  Thanks again.

patrish,

Good advice on Navajo Joe's in Covent Gardens, have not been there but it sounds very good!

If you like Tex-Mex, you may like this place, just West of Trafalgar Square.  It was the Texas Embassy!

IMG_0245.JPG

Thanks for the low down on the Tex-Mex restaurant near Trafalgar Square but is that a Michelob Beer sign.  Where's the Corona?  Not sure if Navajo Joe's has Corona either but there drinks are outstanding.  Try the Blood Peach Bellini!  That's probably a sissy drink so maybe your wife could try it.  Thanks again.

partrish,

You are too funny!

Will you "Hit me with a two drink minimum for responding to your post"!

We have no idea what a "Blood Peach Bellini" even is!

Being from STL, I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for AB!

Don't tell anyone, but this place was full of Americans, especially from Texas, and I was lucky enough to get my picture with a group of them.

Not bad for an "Old Guy"!

IMG_0246.JPG

stelzer,

Thanks for the update!

Did not know that the CL did not let people under 18 in there!

BTW, could you say hello to Aaron, Nic, and others at The Concierge stand?  They have been a great help to me over the years, and I will see them next month.

If I can help you with you stay at CH with directions or dining, please let me know!

re,

Jerry Morgan

Location Brand Hotel
                London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

Jerry: checked out this morning, didnt see your post in time to leave your regards, will do so next time. I am back at CH in May, but a week after your May CH informal meet N Greet. I have been staying at CH since about 2000, so I know my way around pretty well, including the area surrounding it, the restaurants, and walking paths. Some recent changes: the London Dungeon recently moved to the south bank just past the Eye, from its old home under the London Bridge Rail Station. When in London, I usually stay away from the "american" places, I get enough of those when I am home! I am partial to Simpson's on the Strand, some of the Jamie Oliver places and a few other watering holes near my office (located near aforementioned rail station). I also like Yo! Sushi on Belvedere, and really miss when FISH! was there, now I have to get to Leadenhall Market to go a FISH! resturant. Back to NYC today, then in Chicago next week. Isn't the traveling life grand!

stelzer,

Glad you enjoyed the London experience, and on to Chicago!

Stay in touch, and let us know how things go!

Hey Jerr,  Looking good in that pic.  Call me sentimental but after being at the Tower of London all day and hearing about all those heads rolling down Tower Hill, a person must pay tribute to the victims of such nightmares and make a toast to them with a Blood Peach Bellini from Navajo Joe's.  And thank you Selzer for that info on the London Dungeon.  For those who don't know it's kind of a "boot leg" Tower of London.  I thought the actors were great and it's informative along with being entertaining.  What about the Hippodrome?  Has anyone been there or maybe tried the restaurant, Helgot's?   I probably have that spelling wrong.

patrish,

Thanks for your comment!

I too was impressed with The London Dungeon, which was the stop prior to The Tower of London.  If you are on The Big Red Bus, this is where you want to purchase your Tower of London Tickets (Right on the bus), and avoid the excessive lines at TToL!

pluto,

I know how you feel about a "New City"!

Even though I have been to Rome before, if it were not for The Professor, and others on MRI, I probably would not go back.  For the same reason, "Comfort"!

So used to my enjoyment of London and Paris, and the Marriott properties, it's tough to "Break out"!

I will sure help you, along with a host of others, enjoy London!

sg1974 Gold

sg1974 Gold

Jerry,

This is an affordable way for you to visit Stratford upon Avon, Oxford  and Warwick Castle in a day:

http://local.amazon.co.uk/West-London/B00C9WTT8Q?src=email&cid=em_dd_lw1_101_uk_s1_&ref_=pe_216621_35963051

• A combined ticket for Shakespeare's Birthplace and Christchurch in Oxford can be purchased on the day

Full details of the tour:

http://www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours/tour/warwick-stratford-and-oxford.id48.html

http://www.shakespeare.org.uk/visit-the-houses/shakespeares-birthplace.html

http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/visiting/timesandprices

sg,

Thanks!

That is a wonderful suggestion!

sg1974 Gold

This is another interesting excursion from London.

A good way to see a few of these sights in one day without hiring a car.

http://local.amazon.co.uk/West-London/B00CLOQHF0?src=email&cid=em_dd_lw1_101_uk_s1_&ref_=pe_216621_36064751

erc Platinum

Another Tip of the Hat to sg1974 - Just got a good deal on Rock of Ages (Garrick Theatre) which is one tenth of a mile from my dinner deal at Asia de Cuba (St. Martin's Hotel). Rock on Insiders and thanks again sg.

Another great deal from AmazonLocal

erc,

Yes, "sg", has done it again!

I have never heard of this musical, but it sure looks interesting!

Will have to check it out!

Thank you both!

sg1974 Gold

this is a good website for the theatre with plenty of useful information:

http://www.theatremonkey.com/

sg,

Another good suggestion on your part!

Thanks!

• Re: Hawaiian railways and museums

No problem at all   It's nice to be able to talk with people about my interest in railroads & aircraft...   I hope you get a chance to come back sometime soon and pay old #85 another visit!