17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 7:51 AM by stelzer001 RSS

Reviewed a Property and Received an Email

missgee Silver 40 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Yesterday I tried catching up on a few Insider property reviews before I forgot them altogether.  This morning I logged into my personal email.... which is attached to my Marriott.com account.... and there were two emails from Marriott Customer Care Social Media.  One was to the hotel, which I had given poor reviews for, directing them to contact me within 48 hours regarding my post.  The other was an apology and a message saying they'd sent my post (and name) to the hotel.

I found this rather disturbing as I did not read, anywhere, that our posts would be attached to our Rewards account and actioned.  I feel kind of violated. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Reviewed a Property and Received an Email
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I would imagine the review was either forwarded to the hotel by a communitymanager here or the hotel themselves watch this site.  Personally, I'm glad to know they pass along reviews of a property regardless if good or bad.  It really shouldn't be a negative thing to have associated with a rewards account.

I know first hand from an experience we had a few years ago when I got the GM of the property involved in the issue, I'm certain he tagged my account with my emails.  The next trip we made to the place even though the GM had transferred we were treated like royalty including the "Presidential Suite", flowers and champagne on arrival as well a nice letter from the current GM thanking us for returning and hoping our stay would be much improved from the previous stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Wow, that was nice of them!

I guess I'm disturbed because I was unaware they would take my "anonymous" participation on this site and attach it to my Marriott account.  If there had been some sort of fine print announcing they would do this then I probably wouldn't feel so uncomfortable about it.

The other thing was that the review was from a date long in the past.  It's a bit unfair to the property to have to respond to something so untimely.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Missgee,

I would feel the same way.  For them to get your personal e-mail account, is not good.  We should be told.  On Tripadvisor, the comment is made on the site directed at the person who did the review.

NathalieF How would a hotel get our personal e-mail accounts?

I like how TripAdvisor has the comment and response section set up. 

I understand that someone is trying to be proactive, but I'm not sure how their processes work if they were trying to find my exact stay.  I travel a lot with my husband (who is also Platinum level), so some of these reviews are from stays booked under his Rewards account.  My Marriott account is not in my married name, so they wouldn't even be able to find me under his name.  I also can't recall the exact dates of stay for a lot of the properties, so I did my best guess.  If they're searching under that then they're going to think I'm a loony bin.  hahahaha

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

We will see what Andy says as to how this happened.  Reading a review, our names or other info is not there so how did they get it?  Maybe any Marriott employee can access our info?

glparks Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi, there-

A couple of thoughts...

Even when one is anonymous on the screen, keep in mind you are not anonymous to the system or Marriott and that is true whether ESPN Insider or other sites.  There are so many ways to have free e-mail now, you might consider having, for example, an account for your on-line activities as compared to a really personal account that you use for friends and family.   The ground rules were likely in the fine print although to be honest, I just click accept and seldom read them when it is an established company.  Everyone should keep in mind that this is a Marriott sponsored site and to me it is a good thing that someone is reading the responses.  If I managed a property I would check the reviews daily and if someone had a bad experience, I would invite them back for a better one.   Also, even if we chose to be anonymous, we should be willing to be responsible for our comments, for better or worse.  I do not see the Marriott Insider as a place for rants that we are not willing to discuss with someone from Marriott or one of the properties, if needed.   I want to be able to use this to get information, share when I can be helpful, to get answers and by giving feedback, help keep the Marriott experience first rate, regardless of the venue!

I am aware I am "not anonymous to the system or Marriott" as I signed up for this account through my Rewards account when they first offered it.  In that respect, this site is quite different from sites such as ESPN or TripAdvisor or any other online board in which you can remain anonymous.  In fact, my participation in Marriott Insiders is tied to a generic email address.... NOT the address in which my  Marriott Rewards address is tied to.

I am also not a ranter and take complete responsibility for my comments.  Please.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good question - Although any individual Hotel can certainly monitor the reviews provided for their particular hotel (and we encourage they do), the hotel was able to reach out to you personally after being notified by customer care. Your feedback is important and taken very seriously.

I actually haven't heard from the hotel yet.  Just a body by the name of Marriott Customer Care Social Media

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I just got an email from Customer Care Social Media about a somewhat less than stellar review I posted yesterday.  Waiting for the call they say within 48 hours, so we shall see.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I too had the hotel contact me via my personal email when I produced a review (not very flattering at that). While it produced a nice apology (no points or money attached, nor were they requested or offered), I do think that we should have a modicum of privacy, therefore I will never post a review on this Insiders site again, as no matter how good or bad things are, I do not want a hotel GM having my personal e-mail, that is, until Marritt posts the hotel GM's personal email for all to see so we can reach out to them and tell them good or bad. After all, if they get my email, I should get thiers. If Marriott takes our views so seriously Community Manager, then when will we get repsonses to the litany of issues raised on this board (like 135K for $1K, USa B'Fast on w/e, courtyard elimination of free coffee, etc, etc, etc.).

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I actually had two hotel GMs contact me via email.  I too found it surprising that they contacted me via my personal email since I didn't know that was possible...of course, I didn't read the fine print that clearly.

That being said, both GMs were very polite and professional (and thus consistent with the strong customer service I've received at many Marriott brand hotels).  It also felt like they took the feedback seriously, which I appreciated.

I have since heard from two hotels.  The Dulles Airport Marriott responded with a desultory apology.  Kind of fitting, really, because that was the impression I got of their hotel.    When I replied to thank them and to explain that I felt it was a bit unfair for them to be required to respond to an old visit her response was a bit more lively.

Then I received a very sincere apology from the Manchester Airport Marriott.... and they posted 5,000 points to my account!  Now THAT'S an apology. 

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I wrote to customer service via marriott.com to complain about a hotel I just stayed at.  They replied within a few hours that they forwarded my note to the Executive Office of the hotel.  This was my first time writing a complaint to Marriott, so I shall wait and see what response I get. 

joe.isenberg Member 2 Reviews

I like that type of apology!

joe.isenberg Member 2 Reviews

I just reviewed the Marriott Renaissance Arc de Triomphe in Paris and rated them with three stars due to noise, too many tourists and prices designated by the landmark. I hope they reply to my account and apologize with reward points!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

with no disrespect intended to anyone, its the French and MArriott, so dont expect much (except being ignored, as they are each really good at that!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...