51 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 9:00 AM by anadyr RSS

Language?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Someone recently said to me "No Problem" instead of "You're Welcome."  Got me to thinking what else has replaced the English language that most of us here in the states grew up with:

• "Like," now replaces every pause, every comma and is sometimes a noun, sometimes a verb. As in "He's like, you know, like, totally cool."
  • "Whatever" becomes the new "OK" or even at times, the "Not really."
  • "Dude," now has become a gender neutral greeting, an exclamation point, or a question, all within the same word.
  • "Ginormous" refers to really, like, big stuff.
  • "Incredible" has replaced "you're making this up," but then that might have been there for a long time, and I never noticed.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture. I am waiting for a Marriott associate to tell me that my room is "like, almost ready." but so far that's not happened, yet.

Anyone else have any words that have popped up and now have taken over other more familiar and correct words, like, think hard, it's a ginormous problem, Dude!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Language?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

You ask a kid and some adults if they would like something and they say they are "good"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

And something that is good is often referred to as "Bad."

I think it is all part of a younger generation having their own language.  We did it as kids too.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

The answer "No problem" is so similar to the Spanish "De Nada" in answer to "Gracias", don't you think?  Maybe that's where it got started.

"Like," now replaces every pause, every comma and is sometimes a noun, sometimes a verb. As in "He's like, you know, like, totally cool."  -- Didn't Beatniks use that in the '50's?  And I recently talked to someone who was in sales who used that even when she didn't want to.  She said it was a symptom of her OCD.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Pas de problème is the exact phrase and meaning in French.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Or I've also heard as well as used 'de rien.'  Or is it 'du rien'? (meaning it's nothing or think nothing of it.)  Sort of along the same lines as de nada, all of which I prefer over 'no problem,' 'pas de problème,' or 'no problema.'

To me, no problem connotates the possibility that a problem could exist.  For example, if someone is my server in a restaurant, and I ask them for a glass of water, they bring it (in the execution of expected job duties), and I say 'thank you,' why would they then reply 'no problem?'  How would it possibly ever be a problem in the realm of customer service?  'You're welcome' or 'It's my pleasure', but never 'no problem.'  There's just something - I don't know - that seems almost burdensome about it to me.  I'm either old school or perhaps need to be psychoanalyzed (or both).  Yes, perhaps, because for some reason, I find 'no worries' to be perfectly delightful, which really means the same thing, but somehow sounds more - caring, perhaps.  (Or maybe it's just my love of the Aussies. )

De rien is normally used as an alternative to je vous en prie (you're welcome) -- so it's more like 'think nothing of it' rather than no problem.  De rien is definitely acceptable French.

"No problem" is also used at times in reply to "I'm sorry" or "Excuse me".

Much more appropriate usage, imho.

Mine, too.

I think the issue of 'no problem' in whatever language depends on who is saying it.  To me if I'm a client at a hotel and someone at the desk or whatever says 'no problem,' then I think it's inappropriate.  However, if they've screwed up and tried to make it right, I feel it is okay as the 'injured party,' if you will, for me to say 'no problem' as a way of suggesting they need not worry about the screw-up. (Unless it was really bad and then I wouldn't say 'no problem.')

I'm not going to say "no problem" when it really is either. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Two which I find just obnoxious and seem to have completely taken over many other words/phrases:

Reeealy

Just sayin

I hope you all feel sympathies for me as a professor -- these are but a few...  What I really don't like is when my students send me an email that starts with hey or worse, yo!

Profc,

What I really don't like is when my students send me an email that starts with hey or worse, yo!

~~~~~~~

That is bad manners.  I don't blame you.  No respect there for anyone.

Terms of endearment or lack of good sense?

Depends on the situation.  If the clerk has a difficult time with a client in front of me and apologizes, I think me saying no problem is fine.  If a waiter spilled a bottle of wine and my dinner on my dress, my reaction would be somewhat more profane.

Context clues, the root of understanding.  Much like when in another country we are able to make the effort and speak their language, I think that slangologists, if that's a word could easily pretend that they speak English as I would, if for no other reason than I deserve it!!!!

Seriously, the language is being battered not by evolution but by texting, shorthand, glances, and whatver, Dude, no problem.

Terms of endearment or lack of good sense?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That could be, too.  It seems like they really admire profc from the interaction she gets from them.

What did I miss?

Terms of endearment or lack of good sense?  I took this to be anadyr's (SS's) response to the "hey" or "yo".    These things migrate, so it's sometimes hard to tell.

Aha!  I know what you mean.  The yo's and hey's almost always come from athletes. Even though I'm a sports fanatic myself, the ones who participate, especially in Division III, are not necessarily the best students. Alas. I do tell my junior and senior students they can call me by my first name, because otherwise you simply get called nothing for their 4 years, which I find worse.  The students who do so then tend to be the most polite, well behaved, and attend and participate in class most often.

We never, ever use Dr. here, though I have to admit I use it on my credit cards and in making reservations (and sometimes on the occasional flight ).

I use the Doctor appellation all the time but it ever works for restaurant reservations!

Is that supposed to be "never"?  What cities?  Big ones, I bet.

Ever or never? Enquiring minds want to know.

anadyr,

but it ever works for restaurant reservations!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Using the "Dr." title for reservations, does it EVER work or never.  This makes 3 times asked.  As profc said, "Enquiring minds want to know.".

Is that was I was off track about?

Keep on track eb!  This is a fast-moving train!!!!

Not with the delay in messages received. 

IAH,

To me, 'Just sayin,' means 'I'm just keeping it real' (a la Randy Jackson) or else more properly, 'I'm just being honest.'  Do you take it as derogatory?  'I'm just being honest' is definitely more conversationally respectful than 'Just sayin.'

Phat (sounds like fat) for "cool"?  I really can't get the meaning for that, but it's one of admiration.

Bro or brah (HI -5 -0 is the only place I've seen this since I've never been to HI and don't know whether it's really used there or not) for brother / friend / man.

"Mother" for ma'am or older woman.  (This one really makes me upset since the first time I was called this was by a woman my age whose husband was harassing me just for the fun of it when my 3 sons were in the car with me in Hurst, TX.)    

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

Anadyr, you won't like this:  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ginormous

Poor use of language, overuse of slang becomes acceptable.

Holy ****!

Ain't that the truth?

Derailed at times, but on track

eb,

Tru dat!

ROTFL!!  What can I say when you made me laugh so hard.

But, then, the text language almost rolls into this topic, doesn't it?

You're right.  "Ain't that the truth" has been replaced by "tru dat", even on TV series like "Switched at Birth".

Not with my sister, though.  She insisted on "ain't" all her life.  Probably her one word of rebelliousness and "imperfect" grammar.    She was THRILLED when it became accepted in Webster's Dictionary and wouldn't allow anyone to say anything to her about it again.  (Baby in the family and she really could do no wrong as far as we were concerned.)    

I think despite being a prof all of you have one on me in terms of slango (there, I made a new term).  Or maybe I watch the wrong shows on TV?  I hate reality TV.

But on the subject, I think it's funny that Webster's has to add new words each year.  Some are uncontroversial: to google.  But sometimes on evaluations, I have to look it up on google to figure out what they thought of me.  I think it's already outdated but was pleased when I found out I was once considered 'chill'.  I suppose that's not too far a stretch considering 'cool.'

We call it calspeak out here,

You chill, Prof!  (I say Professor, at least here on Insiders we address you by an appropriate title. )

Yo Pluto, ya way chill!

I dislike most reality shows, but I really like "Amazing Race" and seeing the different places they go to around the world.

"Switched at Birth" is a TV series.  It may have been reborn from an old movie by the same name that I've been trying to see.  We can't watch it in our suite in AL on TV since they got rid of that station, but Bri downloads it from the computer and then we watch it on the TV big screen via computer and thumbdrive.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Isn't it amazing just how "TOTALLY AMAZING" and "COMPLETELY AMAZING" everything is today?

newhiltonmember,

It is!!  or Tru dat!!!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

sorry, I just read this entire thread and gained nothing by doing so............  I must be a real loser........

Must one always gain something?  Sometimes, isn't a little bantering around enough for some mental recreation?

You're certainly no loser, shoe.    You just weren't into this at this time.

What is the French term that profc gives a lot?  C'est la vie.

Totally!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Lately, I am happy to make out a few words between all the F-bombs dropped.

So true

NathalieF I am not getting most alerts on this thread.  I did get a few.

Hmmm?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...