60 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2015 4:36 PM by stelzer001 RSS

Courtyard -- The worst category of hotel in the Marriott Brand Chain.

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Okay....I don't get it.   Marriott Brand hotels have always treated their Gold and Platinum Reward members to a little something extra, at all of their hotels.  At the Fairfield, you may not get much extra, but breakfast is included with a night's lodging.  Same is true for Town Place Suites.  At the Residence Inns you get a breakfast and an evening snack/meal 3-4 nights of the week.  At the full service Marriotts you get access to the Concierge lounge and a breakfast and evening snack.  Heck, In today's world, even the low budget hotels like Days Inn will give you a free breakfast with a night's lodging.

But at Courtyard, you get NOTHING.   Oh, sure, you get your "check in bonus", but that is it.  No breakfast, no snack, no nothing.  They have recently  removed the free coffee from the rooms and lobbies.

So, my question is this:  Why would anyone ever stay at a Courtyard hotel, unless it was the only choice in town?

I know they want to promote the new cafes they have in every Courtyard; why not give coffee and pastries to your Gold and Platinum members, as a perq for staying there?

Answers, suggestions, any one???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Montgomery, Alabama, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Montgomery
Montgomery, Alabama, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott TownePlace Suites Montgomery
Florence, South Carolina, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Florence
Pearl, Mississippi, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Jackson Airport/Pearl
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Tuscaloosa
  • Re: Courtyard -- The worst category of hotel in the Marriott Brand Chain.
    stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Ravnwyng: your post is exactly why I dont stay and havent for a long time at a courtyard property. Wish I coulld give you suggestions, but others on the board have made them, and the silence from Marriott is deafening. My usggestion, using the last person on earth theory, is dont stay at a Courtyard, even if its your only choice. Heck, the back seat of your rental car is probably more useful than a courtyard!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

drchucklesboomboom Platinum 13 Reviews

There is another thread, with more stories, ideas, and complaints from many many others who are upset about CY over at:

Seriously rethinking staying at Courtyards anymore

There are even a couple posts from a Marriott VP in the CY brand describing how all the changes that now leave Platinum members hanging are actually good and were asked for by guests on some mystery surveys which none of us seem to have ever received... really? hmmmm.

Good luck!

andydanoe Gold 9 Reviews

At the Courtyards I stayed in Miami and in Lake Mary Florida, there still is free coffee in the lobby, and in the room. I paid $10 extra fpr a room to get "free breakfast" for 2 persons, which still was less than if I had to pay seperate for my breakfast.

NURAAL-SHAMMARI Gold

This was my thoughts on the Townplace Inn in Montgomery, Al

They did offer the free breakfast on the go and yes the front desk clerk at check in and check out was amazing, however the room was the worst I have ever experienced. I asked to relocate to another room and it was not much better. The flat ware was edgy as though it had all been ran through the garbage disposal, the cook ware still had burned food left in the bottom, the icemaker did not work the range top had only two working burners, and the refrigerator appeared to be 40 years old. The first room we were given had a towel inside the toilet which made my husband cringe. The couch was also old and dingy.

I will NEVER NEVER  use Townplace again.

We transferred over to the Residence  the next day would have done so that night if there had been a room available.e

BEWARE!!!!!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

That's how we got to the Residence Inn.  The refrigerator went out.  They were bringing us another one, but the maintenance man was required to go to a meeting in the midst of the food transference.  Besides that, the room was very depressing, all in browns and dark greens as I remember.  Not much light.  No view to speak of since our room overlooked the parking lot.  So, our son and I checked out RI since it was just across East Blvd.

We're still there although I have felt like leaving many times.

Location Brand Hotel
      Montgomery, Alabama, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Montgomery
      Montgomery, Alabama, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott TownePlace Suites Montgomery
        NURAAL-SHAMMARI Gold

eb5147

What city are you in? I have been really satisfied with most of the Residence Inn Suites I have tried and the one in New Tampa the staff has truly made me feel like family. I have used their Inn many times as a breast cancer patient and survivor I have traveled with my family and sometimes alone. They have been so accommodating. The rooms have been very comfortable, clean, and the location great near the International Mall, Bush Gardens, and St. Pete.

birdiehunter Silver

very well said

MY last resort for accommodations. Not sure what CY think they are. They are a long way from What a guy that has been traveling for 40 years is looking for.

birdiehunter Silver

very well said

MY last resort for accommodations. Not sure what CY think they are. They are a long way from What a guy that has been traveling for 40 years is looking for.

birdiehunter Silver

very well said

birdiehunter Silver

very well said

birdiehunter Silver

very well said

birdiehunter Silver

very well said

ddobluis Gold

Same here, I don't stay at a Courtyard because they don't offer elite member anything.  No added value for me. 

In general, Courtyards charge higher than Springhill, Fairfield Inn, both of which have free breakfast.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

We only stay at a courtyard if it is the only choice available in the Marriott system. On a positive note, we stayed at the courtyard by the airport in Rome this past May, and it was outstanding to platinum members. Nice connecting rooms for our family, free breakfast for all. Very nice! I am really glad we stayed there, and I was very hesitant to, since it was a courtyard. I would return there...but in the states, not so much. And I like the old restaurants, compared to the new bistro thing.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I'll only stay at a CY if it's the only Marriott property available and/or it's so much cheaper than the others that it makes sense to do so.  However, I refuse to spend any $$ at a CY other than the room because I don't receive points for incidental spend at CYs.  No points, no additional $$ to Marriott.  SHS has become my go-to brand instead of CY if I'm not staying at a FS property.

Cheers.

thor Gold 13 Reviews

I agree!  Because of the above reasons, I no longer stay at a CY Marriott unless it's the only last resort.    My suggestion is to simply stay away from CY unless you have no other choice.  Maybe someday, they will hear us and make changes - maybe just maybe.  :/

msjames Member 1 Reviews

I don't get it either...I recently stayed at a Courtyard and we had to take our food into the lobby to warm it up b/c there aren't any microwaves in the rooms.....

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

I always get upgraded, a gift from the marketplace.  I have no issues w/ Courtyards.  Try smiling.

The only time we get upgraded is using the corp rate at the one in NE Cola., SC.  I had been using FFI consistently, but it went up too much one week so I booked at the CY.  They couldn't upgrade us as PP, but could as corp. rate and since my husband works for that company a couple of miles away, we went with that and have been going with it since, but without the corp rate that includes the upgrades when available and the breakfast buffet and the free coffee, we'd stay at FFI or some other chain that nearby since we have quite a few IHG points.

There have been others we liked.  The Capitol CY in Tallahassee, FL was nice.  Didn't care for the bistro, but didn't pay for it then, either since they'd made so many mistakes with us.  I loved watching the lights in their pool change colors, though. 

wtraveler Platinum

I was just replied to another similar post about CY's terrible policy on free breakfast (rather lack there of) and I am with most people here is that basically just to get my points, I will ONLY stay with CY if it is the only Marriott's property within 30 miles.  I know my gas money probably cost more than the free breakfast, but it's the principle of things, just to show them that I'd rather give someone else my business for taking care of their customers.  Shame one you CYs.

inforanintl Gold

Well, it is true.....CY does not offer any free breakfast in the US. I did stay at the CY in Hong Kong Island last year and received a VIP treatment there including a free full buffet breakfast on the house (retail value of over 30 US Dollars per person per meal) as a Marriott Gold member.

I also received a free upgrade to a Harbor View room and extended my stay for 3 more nights on points in spite of the fact that award nights where not available at that property during that week.

Staff at CY Marriott in the US should learn from their counterparts in SE Asia and give service instead of justifications why one is not entitled for a specific perk or upgrade!!!!

Other examples of mistreatment at US Marriott properties:

CY Marriott San Luis Obispo - ordered a room for 5 people....wasn't available upon arrival.....received two double rooms on the same floor at no extra charge....but it was charged later on the credit card.....refunded only after intervention by Marriott customer care center.....free breakfast - only for people who paid a specific rate and not anybody else....what is that rate??......who knows?!?!?

CY in Washington DC (the one next to the Capitol / Union Station) - No breakfast, no perks.....just a lot of noise from the railway adjacent to the hotel.

Cosmopolitan Las Vegas......only platinum members receive free breakfast.....but only one day!!!! When hotel is full (at peak times), maid service / housekeeping service is really bad / slow!!!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Very good post.  Great analysis and case made for changing the way CYs do business.  I stopped staying at them about seven years ago because they just are not a typical Marriott property.  I really don't see how they complement the Marriott line.

roadscholar Gold

I have stayed almost 800 nights in the last 11 years,some years platinum member others gold. Sure I miss free coffee in the lobbies of the CYs I have stayed but it's just coffee. Perhaps the CY Bistros could offer a credit or discount on a breakfast depending on your elite status.For example,silver 20%,gold 30% and platinum 50% off the cost of breakfast. Or perhaps  silver a $4 credit, gold a $6 credit  and platinum $9 credit for each night stay.  I always got more from people by asking and not demanding. Marriott has many brands,the secret is to find out which one or two work best for your needs and wants.

hkraytai Gold

I am a new Gold Elite member and experienced this recently in during my two week California road trip where I stayed in Marriotts and CYs every night.  I had up to now stayed in Marriotts for business and for personal trip I want to save some money.  I had assumed based on the Marriott site that Elite status equally applies to the other brands.  I guess not because they said no to breakfast when I asked about it in the San Francisco.  Did I miss some fine print or disclaimer?

doncourts Platinum

This gentleman is correct. My last stay at a Courtyard in Oyster Point, CA offered No breakfast, No evening adult beverages or food, No in room refrigerator, and a so-so room. Nearby hotels, for less money, were much more hospitable. Despite my Marriott Rewards status, I go out of my way to avoid a Courtyard. Try a Holiday Inn Express, Hilton RI, Town Suites, almost all offer breakfast at a MINIMUM. Courtyard is a third world chain. Look elsewhere.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I know I am in the minority because we like staying at Courtyards.  We are not coffee drinkers, so the lack of coffee in the lobby doesn't affect us.  It seems like the biggest complaint is that Courtyard does not offer a free breakfast.  That doesn't bother us, especially if there is a local place for breakfast that we really want to try.  For example, we have enjoyed local places in Kahului, Maui; Fayetteville, AR; Little Rock, AR; New Orleans, LA; Houston, TX and Galveston, TX to name a few.  I know it usually adds a few more dollars to our travel budget, but we take that into consideration when planning our trips.   

702rugbyref Platinum

I too like CY..it is my most common booking as I don't drink their coffees and I get breakfast elsewhere.

I sometimes consider the cost of breakfast, but often, the free breakfasts aren't that big of a deal.  Continental breakfasts?  And the way I travel where I stop when I get tired, I don't always get up in time.  I just consider the price and availability.  For instance, in Florence, SC; the CY had a good price and availability on one night and they upgraded us to a nice, roomy suite where my son slept on the sofa.  Nice upgrade, then 3 Starbucks of any size the next morning, and a market gift from the mgr. with a nice note thanking us.  Nice.

The next night, we had to find another room, so we found a cheaper one at the FFI across the street.  Cheaper, but they were under construction.  They put us in a handicapped room that was roomier.  That was nice of them, too.  Breakfast, but not that great.

We've gotten complimentary breakfasts at some CYs, like in Tuscaloosa, AL; but haven't been able to stay there in years because it's always booked when we've gone through lately.

Also, the CY in Pearl, MS is really nice and got a nice room with a sofa in it.  My son picked out the market item, a nice chef salad, and they gave us the welcome pts.  We stayed there on pts. which was a really nice rate since it was a new hotel next to a new FFI and only costs 10,000 pts.  There is a special rewards rate of 87.20 right now, I just saw.  You've got to check out the pictures of this hotel if you're in the area.

Location Brand Hotel
      Florence, South Carolina, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Florence
      Pearl, Mississippi, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Jackson Airport/Pearl
      Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Tuscaloosa
        jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

i do stay at courtyards when there is a reason like proximity .i  always get my 400 points and either a free coffee or something  out of the little store . i think that is the standard  for a platinum

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

AS a commentary on elite benefits, yes, I can see why CY sits at the bottom of elites choices.

Its not one of the cheapo brands that provide low-cost accommodation with the kitchen costs factored into the room price offering included breakfasts, but where it's difficult to upgrade due to a one-size-fits-all design.

Nor is it a long-stay brand where no one really expects an upgrade to a bigger room for a one month stay, and is hence very happy when it happens.

Nor is it a full service hotel with a lounge which generates a level of goodwill even if an upgrade isnt offered.

Instead it's a limited service brand with rooms of similar size and quality to full service. Generally there's little to upgrade guests too and as the properties are typically smaller than your full service hotel and in less centeral locations it finds the economics of running a bar and kitchen dificult to balance. And that balance would become far more precarious if the kitchen was feeding dozens of hungry elites FOC.

this thread and the many similar examples demonstrate that if Marriott is to persuade more elites to gravitate towards Courtyards it needs to find a way to offer more recognition than just 400 welcome points. That's not to say it's easy, but Courtyard elite recognition is pathetic. It needs to do better

ramoneur Platinum

...well, things being not the same in Asia,

I like Courtyard Puxi in Shanghai,

very good price/quality-ratio;

although no free breakfast is still a bummer.

702rugbyref Platinum

My latest stay at SHS in El Segundo would rank much lower than any CY...very musky smelling

Platinum 28 Reviews

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have beaten this subject so long it seems that the original point, and/or the reason for our negative comments is simply the provision to Gold and Platinum members of breakfast and snacks!

All brands have a property or two that are too old, smell musty, etc etc.- that's an individual property issue, not a brand issue.

In defense of the CY brand - it obviously serves a section of the market and is doing quite well.  The room rates afford a weary traveler of a property that in many cases is only a few dollars more than a LaQuinta (as an example).

The only solution to our complaint would be to raise room rates to accommodate free meals to those "of status" and in itself would be counterproductive to the brand.

Make no mistake about my comments - I will book a Springhill rather than a CY simply to satisfy by addiction to the waffle machine (LOL) - but in all seriousness, our options are usually many that will include free breakfast and a glass of cheap wine in the afternoon.

Now let's use our efforts to get into something far more important:  NFL season starts in a few days!!!!

goose1 Platinum

I agree. There is no reward for Platinum to stay at a Courtyard. Rarely do they upgrade rooms and no breakfast. Basically points and no amenities for Platinum members to make the stay more special. Worst is Marriott does not care. The new changes are worse than ever. Before they changed to the Bistro the ones with a restaurant offered free breakfast to Platinum. Now, never and you have to pay $3 for your Starbucks coffee in the morning.

Marriotts recently opened its 1000 Courtyard and it's by far Marriott most numerous brand. Treating elites extra special doesnt feature because it never has and on the basis of the numbers and its remorseless march, doesn't need to. Hence why I commented that if it wanted more elites it would have to find space in its budgets. Simply put, it doesn't want more elites. It's business model has less reliance on rewarding loyalty and its proven a success.

Now when you add this to the savage changes made by Delta Airlines, and other airlines as they move to a revenue basis, you could wonder if the loyalty program has had its day, but I think not, this doesn't mean that loyalty programs are dead, or dying, indeed IHG has recently made a big commitment to its program with a new Spire level carrying 100% point bonuses. And IHG operates mainly in the 2/3 star market with its omnipresent Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express brands.

And IHGs move should make Marriott think, if IHGs scheme is providing extra rewards to guests staying mainly in the Courtyard sector of the market, then perhaps IHG has data indicating that rewards in this sector do motivate more elite stays and are a worthwhile effort to increase them. Maybe now is the time for Courtyard to try something it's never done before, and make an effort to entice elites.

You are so right, brightlybob .

Their job is to entice people to get to the rewards but not to want to keep them.  You are a really smart barrister.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have the 10 pts. per $1 than 5 pts. per $1.  Use the pts. on the RI and the TPS but make them on CY and the others.  And with the new promo giving double pts. as one of it's rewards, I bet few will be staying at the RI and TPS for their breakfasts.    

Platinum 28 Reviews

Happy Labor Day everyone - still rubbing the sleep from my eyes here on the West Coast!

I'm a little confused (some would say very confused - for a very long time) - is bonus points a motivation on what brand to stay at?

Are the many choices (within the Marriott brands) designed to accommodate one's needs and budge?  Granted, I am naive (that's been proven over and over ) -

As a weary road warrior that has been lucky to have received some success that allows me to choose where to stay, I choose the level of comfort and services up to the higher end of what my budget allows

I can honestly say that never in my 45 years of traveling, did I stay at a property that lacked services/comfort (within my budget) because of a promotion or bonus. (when all levels of accommodations/properties are available).

In those cases when  a property like a CY is the only brand available in an area where I must be, I can say that there are a million properties available that can't hold a candle to most CY;s.  I just prefer a higher level of services.

As a final thought - the motivation on choosing a place stay should be a subject for a new thread as it is an interesting onel

For those of you in the United States - have a great holiday!!!

Does Anyone remember the old tagline "Courtyard by Marriott—the hotel designed by business travelers for business travelers". I guess marriott dropped that tagline when business travellers, like me, saw fewer and fewer benefits, especially if you are platinum or gold, nothing really special about courtyards as a property to want to stay at and prices that are out of whack with location and economic conditions. Even with my free Chase cert, I wont use it at a Courtyard because I get nothing special or unique staying at one. If you are one of the people who dont care for coffee (or tea) and dont want breakfast included if you are gold or platinum, and if the price is right, then maybe this is the type of Marriott for you. As for me, even if free, I don't/won't take a room at a courtyard. Different strokes for different folks, So if Courtyard is you thing, more power to you, but for this road warrior, I pass them up and haven't stayed in one in over 15 years

misterchk

It would be for the double points bonus only.  For all others, it wouldn't be.  I was just saying that for the double points, the 10 pts. for $1 spent would be preferable than the 5 pts. per $1 spent regardless of the breakfasts offered at those 2 chains, RI and TPS.  That would be losing an even bigger chunk for points if you have that promo offer.  Right?

My preference isn't CY, but I go where I can get the biggest bang for the buck, regardless of which chain.  Right now, it's IHG.  To build points back, it will be Marriott again after the 15th.

Talk about making someone mad, the expiration of points after Jan 2016 for anyone who has too few to use and hasn't used them in 2 years is still a point of contention since Marriott is still falsely advertising to people thinking about signing up for the rewards program that the points never expire.

It's kind of like when we had to go to the doctor last weekend for my husband, who could barely breathe with a respiratory infection.  He read online that the emergency care clinic was open until 6 on Sundays.  It's not far so we got him there at 5 p.m.  The lettering beside the door said they closed at 5 pm on Sundays and there was only 1 car there.  We went back the next morning and while I was sitting in the car, I noticed that the flashing sign in front said they closed at 6 pm on Sundays.  It was raining on Monday and we had to get wet to go there, which we wouldn't have on Sunday.  They'd known for 2 weeks that the sign on the door was wrong and had "ORDERED" new letters, but they couldn't figure out that the old info was still there that might inconvenience people or make them decide differently than they would have if the info was just covered up and done away with.  The office mgr. made me so mad.  I asked if she still couldn't understand that all she had to do was to cover up the bad info.  Wrong info is worse than none at all.  I told her all the trouble it had caused us after I went in a 2nd time to tell her that all the info cards they had printed out in the waiting room was also wrong.  She had been such a robotic, non-caring mgr. the first time I was in, but this time, she actually apologized and got one of her staff to go outside to cut the wrong numbers out and put the correct numbers up with tape and pieces of paper with the numbers cut out of the squares of paper.  Good for her, but it took her long enough to understand, IMHO.

As far as I know, Marriott is still recruiting for the rewards program with the out of date literature and I'm sure they have to realize it by now.  I've complained about it enough both here and on the phone to customer service, who say only that they've always had the option to do that, but haven't done it until now.

Talk about something that has the potential to backfire on them!!!     

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

stelzer001, I never did understand why a business traveler with a decent per diem would ever stay in a CY!  I only stay in them if there are no other good choices.  Also, someone please explain why CY is the official hotel of the NFL.  These two items don't match up, and neither seems to fit CY at all.

clebert

My husband never had a per diem for the hotel.  Granted, most of the people he worked with got the best rooms they could and charged them to the client, but the client has since made all of them start staying at the FFI in Montgomery, AL instead of the Marriott downtown or in the next town over.

Platinum 28 Reviews

HERE I AM AGAIN, THE DEVIL DOING SOME ADVOCATING (FOR A BRAND I VERY RARELY STAY AT) BUT NEEDS DEFENDING!!!

Has anyone asked the question:  IF CY'S PROVIDED BREAKFAST TO ELITE MEMBERS WOULD THEY STILL BE CATEGORIZED AS THE "WORST".

Has anyone asked the question:  IF CY'S INCLUDED BREAKFAST FOR EVERY GUEST - AND THIS SERVICE ADDED FIVE DOLLARS TO THE ROOM RATE WOULD THIS BRAND POSSIBLY ONE OF THE BEST IN THE MARRIOTT FAMILY.

Think about it - 99% percent of you commenting are basing your opinion on the absence  of breakfast being included.  It was overlooked that the average size of a CY's room is the same or larger than full service properties.  These same rooms include wifi, the famous Marriott bedding and all the amenities needed by a business or pleasure traveler could need EXCEPT FREE BREAKFAST AND ROOM SERVICE.

COME ON FELLOW ROAD WARRIORS - FIND SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT - NO ONE IS PUTTING A GUN TO YOUR HEAD AND FORCING YOU TO STAY AT A CY - AND IF YOU DO "SUFFER" AN OVERNIGHT AT ONE, THINK OF THE ZILLIONS OF HOTELS AND MOTELS THAT ARE NOT CLOSE TO CY'S QUALITY.

goose1 Platinum

II am not saying they are the worst however when they put the Bistro in they took away choices and many had offered free breakfast and free coffee. That's gone. In my 100 plus stays in CY I have yet to be upgraded and they do have upgraded rooms. Also I would still stay in CY but if other options are around I look elsewhere. I stayed in CY 60 days last year and my complaint is I do not like the new Bistro lobby and all.

misterchk

I think a lot object to no more free coffee in the lobby.  For my part, I still don't think it's the worst.

What I think is worse is going to a FS Marriott and finding that they call full size beds "queen size", and my husband and I barely have room to roll over.  I've seen some IHG hotels do this, too.  We had to leave one of those in VA after we'd been bitten in MO near St. Louis with the same type of bedding size.

We just have to stay at the Cola., SC Marriott when there are 2 of us rather than 3.

P.S.:  You should have seen the TPS in Montgomery, AL that we stayed at for almost a month before moving over to the RI across the highway.  It's no longer a TPS and is no longer Marriott affiliated.

If CY added breakfast and charged a few $$ more, I would consider it. On the room size, I beg to differ. I stay at RI, SHS, TPS, FS marriott, ren and JWMarriotts (and a few Ritz) and based on the very few stays I have had at CY, the room size is not even close to any of these others, nor is their kind bed of comparable size or comfort to the others As a road warrior business traveller who decides where I stay, I would rather drive 10-30 miles out of my way to NOT stay at a CY..Marriott has mad its choice as to what to offer at this chain, I decide to not give it my buisness. Even the FI's I stay at are better than most CY's. I dont know a single business traveller that opts for any hotel that charges a stiff rate and offers no breakfast being included for the most loyal members. Only CY does this, and I find it strange.To those who like and stay at CY's, no disrespect on my part. I just chose not to patronize them due to the reasons mentioned.

II've only stayed twice at CY, both redemptions, once at Prague airport for 15,000 points about 8 years ago, and once at Albany Airport for 20,000 points about 8 weeks ago. I was very happy with both stays. They both adhere to the original CY concept of a full service type room in a limited service hotel.

I simply can't agree with the title of this thread, that CY is the "worst category" in the Marriott stable, but CY does suffer with the unfortunate fact that one thing stands out when reserving a CY, its the only one of Marriotts ordinary lodging brands (ie excluding RC, which is kept semi detached anyway) where I have to factor in the cost of breakfast, it's neither included in the rate (as per limited service properties) nor free as a benefit (as per full service). This occurs because Marriott splits its loyalty scheme, at FS brands it's a benefits and points program, at limited service, points only. CY straddles that definition, rooms and bed are similar to FS, there's commonly a gym and swimming pool, and a restaurant serving both breakfast and evening meals, together with a bar. In reality the only limited-service thing about CY is lack of room service and bell/concierge. Yet its price point is designed to be cheaper than FS. Not an easy balancing act when little cost has been shaved off.

Now CY has recently been joined in the no-benefits/no breakfast ranks by AC. It's a particularly omnipresent brand in Southern Europe and I can say from experience that whenever I'm looking to book in its areas I always take into account the cost of breakfast, and once I do a local FS (IHG or Marriott) or Holiday Inn Express (a brand I really like) wins out.

IIt's unfair to call CY Marriotts worst brand, and it's constant expansion to Marriotts largest brand belies that definition, but it does little to attract elites, and as that's what it's been doing throughout. It's reasonable to assume it sees no reason to chase our business by offering freebies. It still doesn't make CY Marriotts worst brand, but when compared with other limited service Marriott brands, and competitors limited service brands it does make make it Marriotts pay-more-get-less brand.

Now joined by AC.

I don't know if I would call CY's the worst, but the fact is, in the USA, its the outlier in all of the Marriott brands, in offering no tangible benefits to Plat or Gold loyalists. I cannot speak for CY's in other parts of the world, where I suspect local custom and/or competition forces those properties to provide better tangible benefits (like coffee, breakfast, evening canapés, etc).

If I was to say worst, then its the Marriott "resort" fee that gets charged at anything they label as a resort. Why not give the gold and plats the benefits at the resorts they earned???? Just because its not a "business" destination doesn't mean gouging a vacationer is proper. $30++ a day for wifi, parking, and related. Please, just go to a la carte pricing and give the gold and plats the bennies they earned the hard way and should be able to enjoy when they spend the highly devalued points at a "resort".

So in a nutshell, is CY the worst, nope, but as I noted, given the lack of bennies in the USA, I vote with my wallet.

brightlybob

Was the last one in Canada or the U.S.?

702rugbyref Platinum

Like I have said, I tend to stay at CY more often than other brands because of location and not because of a missing breakfast as I don't normally indulge at a hotel unless is has a full service breakfast as I like fresh OJ, fresh omelet, etc. I will keep using them for personal use for sure and probably not for a group as I am sure the group would prefer a free breakfast.

Well, even though CY is also my least favorite Marriott brand, I'm booked at Courtyard Waikiki in Nov.  The FS Marriott was quite a bit more expensive and has a $^*&#*((@ resort fee which is super annoying.  And those are the only two Waikiki options unless I go to another hotel chain.  Neither of these properties has very stellar reviews.  So we shall see!

Clebert: did you look at the Ko Olina vacation club? It may be more $$ (Rate for elites is $227 in November), but  its quieter there, better beach, less touristy and allot nicer than the CY. I dont think there is a resort fee there either

stelzer001, I would love to stay at Ko Olina but I've got a conference at the Sheraton Waikiki so the traffic and parking getting to Ko Olina in the morning would be a killer.  The conference rate at the Sheraton is $298 and I could do that but I'm trying to stay loyal to Marriott and rack up a few points.  Plus, I'm trying to be a good steward of my company's funds as going to conferences in Hawaii is looked upon by the powers that be with great suspicion.  CY is $156/night with no resort fee, and that is very reasonable.  I'm going by myself for 3 days and am actually doing only the conference, a few business meetings, a business dinner, and whatever else time will allow.  The CY is only 4-5 blocks away, which is a plus.  I do love the Ko Olina villas and actually own MCVI points and have used them there.  I wish I could bring Spouse and kids but kids are in school and Spouse cannot get away from work and Monday night Bible Study which Spouse attends religiously (pun intended). 

clebert: totally understand where you are coming from. I don't get to Hawaii except for vacations, so no worry that my company will ever frown on me going there for a convention (conventions I go to tend to be in Chicago or Atlanta). With my kids, school time takes priority so no taking them along when school is in session and while the wife would love to be with me when I go to certain locales, the kids sports and other activities often mean she deals with the kids while I go off to meetings and the like in some locale, exotic or not! I also really get the drive from Ko Olina to Waikiki, as we did that on vacation last year and it was a killer! Enjoy your time there.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...