48 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 6:35 PM by eb5147 RSS

MRI Wifi Issues

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I mentioned this in one of my earlier emails, but for almost two months I have not been able to access MRI except to look, occasionally to like, or twice to post.  This has happened only when I am using wifi but it doesn't matter whether it's where I work, a hotel anywhere in the world, etc.  Absolutely every other application, even credit card transactions and my Delta account (as well as email) works fine, with the only exception being MRI.  Once in Venice and once in Athens I managed to send or respond to one message, but other times I got only constant 'loading' which is also what it says when I'm home at work.  So in that case I just wait till I get home and use my ethernet connection and all is well.

Now things have taken a strange turn because I'm in the CDG Air France Salon and am having no problems whatsoever.  I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to this.  If the wifi signal in those other places were weak (and I now at work it is not) then why can I access everything else on my netbook, with the sole exception of MRI?  Is there a little MRI gremlin in my computer that flicks its finger like the Delta safety video lady when I try to post?  I know not.  But why in a relatively insecure airport lounge would everything work fine?

ITS people out there, any ideas?  I don't want to make changes to the rest of my computer when nothing else is affected.

C'est la vie!

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MRI Wifi Issues
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Ditch the netbook and get a small ultrabook instead Professor.  Many have dual antenna wifi and are able to grab and hold the weakest signal.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I can't use a smaller version of anything because I have severe arthritis in my hands and fingers -- I ditched my Samsung Galaxy as a result.  And my netbook works perfectly for everything: except the Marriott site.  I don't have wifi problems for any other sites and use it all the time, including travel and my college office, while my college Mac Probook computer lives at home.  The arthritis is critical.  I tried to type an email from my Android phone after arriving home from Greece on the bus last night and it came out as gobbledygook.  And I have nothing but praise for the HP netbook, which I have had for five years without any problems except this one.  But the oddest thing remains, why just Marriott?

Have you tried Dragon Speak?  That way there is no need to type at all.

Yep, I have had dragon for years but while it's okay for typing notes, much of what I write has French or Italian in it.  It can usually spell most cities, though it has a horrible time with Avignon (you wouldn't believe the possibilities I get). I even try mispronouncing the French or Italian (or sometimes Latin, but it handles Latin better), but often with the same result.  So for actually writing chapters with footnotes it's not very useful.  But the worst thing for me, as I mentioned, are devices.  My netbook was in my suitcase under the bus coming home last night (bus from BOS to Portland, not bus from Greece ), so I checked on my Android phone.  There were two important messages since my Salon Air France time, but when I tried to type it in my fingers (especially thumbs) made it completely unreadable.  So I need largish devices (no smaller than netbook) with real keyboards.

And then there are always research assistants, who I can have type and sight-translate some of my highlighted notes in foreign language books.

Cheers, ProfC

This is unfortunate Professor.  My eye surgeon mentioned to me that he did not use Dragon Medical because the technical terms he used are always mangled by the program.  Hopefully there will be a natural language, artificial intelligence program (like LISA) built that can address these issues, because you are not alone in this kerfuffle of typing versus speaking to the machines.

And it's not limited to actual writing.  I have (as I'm sure everyone does) a voice call on my phone.  I speak quite intelligent, but when I tried to call my father Paul once it connected me with Bank.  Wish that were the case!

Students are the best form of artificial intelligence I've found thus far for my problem

Their's is real.  SIRI, on which I was involved slightly in its development, does not imply nor is it perfect.

That's debatable.  But at least the ones I pick for RAs have real intelligence !

Ultabooks have a nearly full size Chiclets-style keyboard.

But the great thing about my netbook (keep in mind it's going on 5 years old now, with no problems) is smaller, yet utterly manageable and was a whole lot less expensive.  It's just the MRI thing. Since I use it for work in my office or travel, I never type long documents on it, but mostly use it for email and the web.  At home, on my Mac Probook, I have the works -- separate keyboard and large monitor that allows for my hands to function for longer writing.

Agreed but my ultrabook is full sized (14 inches of screen) and has a full keyboard and weighs under three pounds with the adapter--same as my now retired netbook that I was cursing at for years.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good morning profchiara, thanks for reporting this last week, we have an open case that we've been actively looking into and you're certainly not alone. IAHFLYR, californian, and now howieg have reported similar issues. Thus far we have been unable to reproduce the described behavior so we could use your help.

If you encounter issues signing in, are unable to reply, or experience a javascript error, please take a screenshot and send it to me at insidershelp@marriott.com

On a PC:

How to Quickly Take a Screenshot in Microsoft Windows - wikiHow

On a Mac:

• Press Shift + Apple + 3
    • You'll find the image on your desktop named Picture.png

Hi Andy,

It hasn't emerged from my suitcase yet -- I'm typing on my home Mac ethernet connection which is never a problem.  The PC route looks very complicated, but I'll try, probably some time next week when I'm back from spring break and between classes.  I can tell you offhand what it looks like: if I click to create nothing at all happens; if I try to participate in a discussion I get a constant horizontal verticular "loading" that never loads and I give up.

Glad to know I'm not a voice in the wilderness!
      Cheers, ProfChiara

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

And the same problem I've been having using windows explorer with my cable modem however, soon as I loaded firefox as the browser all works just fine.  The laptop with explorer and using wifi works fine as well so not sure what is happening, but Andy as you know is on top of it.

If we don't figure it out, at least you will know I haven't disappeared from the face of the earth if I don't post for a week!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I have to tell you that the Insider computer programmers are doing a FABULOUS job!!!  I'm so happy!!

My password is going in automatically, connections are staying longer, and the sign in is no longer taking me to pages I don't even want so that I'm not having the problem of getting back to where I originally signed in.

Wonderful job!!!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Very nice to find out you're having good fortune with the MI, I've really never had any problems after I changed my browser from Windows Explorer to Firefox.

Maybe that's it!!

My computer got the black kiss of death and my son just got though backing up, wiping out everything, and then reinstalling everything.  He just finished yesterday.  I guess it was my computer problems all along.

Thanks, IAHFLYR. 

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Sounds very similar to the problems I have when trying to access Insiders using an iPad.

One thing I've been having problems with in signing on is the acceptance of my password at a rapid enough rate.  I can't type my password in at a rate most typists would use, and if I look at the dots just before the site rejects my password, it will have just 3 or 4 of the characters I've typed in.  Are you having trouble having your password accepted?   

Hi eb5147,

That happens most of the time to me too.

I wish there was a way to save the Marriott password and have it magically appear on my computers.  Sometimes it does, but the Firefox save this password appears only once, and the password is among my saved ones, under "options," but it is never automatically filled in.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

My experience is that Marriott tends to change the password.  I have had it change during a stay.  It is different as I go from Marriott to Marriott also.  With this, how would one save "the" password?

As much as I hate to admit it mine only changed once (and that was because of fraud committed by another person on my account, not me).  So mine has not changed in a long while. Maybe I should change it?

Thanks eb5147 - I haven't seen that. Do you mean there's somehow a delay in the password being entered as you type it, so that when you hit enter, the password is incomplete?

Andy, many times it depends on your internet speed--at times in a hotel with crawling upload and download it assumes you've finished when the password is only partially entered and then returns an "Incorrect password" page.  Here at home running an average of 40 meps I do not see the problem.

Sorry I missed this.  My e-mail was messed up.

Yes, that's what I meant.  It's been doing okay lately, though.

I just realized that since we got back from vacation, a HS internet connection was added and we've been signing up for that daily.

We're still on the case, and so far the usage of unsupported internet browsers seems to be the culprit.

For the best Insiders experience, we recommend viewing the community with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 and the most current version of one of the following browsers:

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 7*, 8, and 9
    • Apple Safari 4 and 5
    • Mobile Safari** (for iPad)
    • Mozilla Firefox†
    • Google Chrome†

Here's the full FAQ in Community Help and Support.

Which browser versions work best with the new Insiders site?

I am using Explorer 9 and have the latest update.  Am having soooo many problems.

hi Andy,

I use Firefox. My college doesn't like us using explorer, and since my netbook is a PC unlike my home Mac, I can't use Safari.  And I don't want to get into Chrome.  I've heard of too many problems.

I haven't been fully in my office yet or had time to try the photo thingie since I'm just back from spring vacation.

Thanks for keeping on trying!
      ProfChiara

uclalum Gold 2 Reviews

WHat is the asterisk for next to IE 7?  Running ie 10 and cannot post. Need to use my iPad for each post

I have had the same problem with my home computer and some at Marriott's.  This site in incompatible with IE10.  Andy said a fix is coming soon with an update.

I have hardly been posting.  I have to use Chrome to do so and I really don't like Chrome.

rwesrussell Platinum 5 Reviews

Under most newer versions of Internet Explorer you can choose to have a site run in "Compatibility Mode".  It's usually a menu selection off of the Tools menu tree.

Add *.marriott.com to the Compatibility View domain listing and see if that helps with site functions.

Tried it and no luck.

Hmmm...sorry, that fixes issues for me sometimes.

Are you running Windows 8 or 7??

Do  you get an icon in the address bar that looks like a torn piece of paper?

Windows 7.  Don't see paper in tool bar.

It appears it could be an issue with the scripting tool kit the MRI developers are using.

I'm a geek (and proud of it) so I browsed the source code of one of the MRI pages where you post content and found they use Jive as the framework for the MRI site.

I also found a link on the Jive site that cites compatibility issues between Jive and IE10 in Windows 8.

It's at:  Compatibility Issues for Internet Explorer 10 i... | Jive Community  if you are a geek like me and enjoy reading developers chat.

They suggest:

• If I hit F12 and select Browser Mode:IE9 then I can work around it.

So according to that, if you have a problem, try hitting F12 then select IE9 (at the very top of the window that opens up) and see if that helps.

Other than that, who knows.

thanks.

Didn't work.  Among other things, when I hit the reply button, nothing happens.  When I look at the page, I don't see the Activity button to the left of my user name.

We thought, it was associated with IE10 but it appears IE 9 too.  If this is the case, nothing was done on my computer, it just stopped working.

NathalieF

Good news and OK news and Bad news....

Good news:  I was able to replicate the problem in IE10 on my Windows8 machine.  It showed up in both the Metro version and the Desktop version.  I saw the same things you cited:  the "Points" bar didn't show up and when I clicked on the Reply button nothing happened.

OK news:  I'm typing this from IE10 (Desktop Edition) on the same box after setting both the Browser Mode to "IE8" and the Document Mode to "IE8 Standards".  It reloaded the page and I was able to see my Points Total and type this reply.

Bad news:  Very painful workaround.  I still conjecture that it's the Jive libraries that they haven't updated with the patch for IE10.

Sorry I don't have "Great News" but it does work with IE10 with some bubblegum and duct tape.

uclalum Gold 2 Reviews

OMG!  It worked.  Using your work-around, for the first time EVER, I am actually posting using my Win 8/IE10 Desktop setup.  GREAT JOB RWESRUSSEL!!!!  Thank you!!!

Glad it worked -- the geek in me wouldn't let it go until I figured out why it was broken.  Safe travels.

So it is a Marriott issue.  Thanks.  I think as much as I dislike Chrome, I will stick with for a while and just be less active till the fix which is supposed to be in about a week.  There are so many work arounds in using the site that it is getting old.  The Marriott site is bad too.  They made many things worse with the last major update but don't seem to care.

Appears to be an issue with the pages -- probably not too hard to fix with a patch from Jive...but, being a software developer in the previous century, I understand that it takes time to roll out fixes.

I'll stick with Mozilla on my Linux box for most of my Marriott surfing where I can control the page rendering to a finer degree.  I do use Chrome on my Win7 box and don't have many issues with it.

Safe travels

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I too have experienced similar issues a couple of times over the past few days on my Mac.  The site also doesn't play well with Safari in iOS.  I didn't have a computer last week Friday for most of the day.  The site was extremely glitchy and caused a lot of issues with iOS's text input and predictive text systems.  I did also notice that the site has a tendency to behave strangely and fail to like, post, etc. and Prof has mentioned when connection speeds become too low. 

Right, the connection speeds are the other common factor. I feel like the IT support agent that asks if your printer is plugged in when I mentioning browser compatibility

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

LOL, thanks Andy!  It's ok, IT isn't your job title! 

By the way, I would love if MRI would work just as good on iOS as it does in Mac OS and Windows  

After months of not being able to access MIs for IE10, it is now working.  Someone got on my computer while using Chrome and tried to take it over.  I am not sure if I got it completely back.  They actually changed some of my settings.  Firefox would not let me access the site from alerts.  I was dead in the water.  This is nice after so many painful times trying to get in.  Thanks.

californian

It does feel nice when things run smoothly after having a hassle for a while, doesn't it?

Glad yours is doing okay now, too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...