1 2 3 7 Previous Next 101 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2013 9:12 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Is this anyway to treat a great customer?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This Thursday I'm taking my wife and teenage daughter to NYC for a long weekend at the New York East Side Marriott. I'm using Rewards for two of the three nights and when I got the Virtual Concierge email a few days ago I stated that as a Platinum member that I'd like to request an upgraded room with a king and rollaway. Here is the response I got back from the property a few minutes ago:

"There is a cost of $40.00 plus tax per night for the rollaway. We look forward to your arrival."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
  • 1. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    erc Platinum

Ouch. It appears they trained at the Marriott Vacation Club Academy of Warmth. Oh well, chalk up another 'Death by a thousand cuts' tactic as we morph into the Spirit Air of hotels (rollaway beds used to be comped for Platinums, back in the day). Everyone better book those five nights for four on points, while it still exists.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    drchucklesboomboom Platinum 13 Reviews

I remember when rollaways used to be considered an amenity, instead of a moneymaker. Maybe they will have someone walking the halls with a basket of peanuts for sale soon?

• 3. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This seems to be a slap in the face, no matter what the policy may be!  I think this nickel and dimeing is going to be the problem of the future, just like it is with the airlines.

• 4. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    sg1974 Gold

Awfully expensive for a rollaway. It does state the cost of $40 on the website under the the superior larger guest room 1 king

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycea-new-york-marriott-east-side/

are you able to book the room with 2 doubles instead?

i spend plenty of time looking at all these policies as we have a young daughter & I hate to pay for rollaway beds.

it is frustrating as every hotel has a different policy.

• 5. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?

Even though it states that I would hope that there is some leeway for Platinum members, and apparently there is not.  Have you called the hotel to inquire?

• 6. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

The reservation is for two doubles but reading the reviews I see the rooms can be tight and so I sought an upgrade even before checking in with the hopes that the reply would be " we would be more than happy to fulfill your request, we appreciate your business and your continued patronage is important to us. If there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please, just ask".

Ain't that way.

• 7. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?

Call them and see if there's wiggle room in that policy.

• 8. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

has the exact same experience at the "Autograpgh collection - Carelton" in NYC. $40 for a roll away, NO way! I too am Plat, and I was paying rates they published for the room. Had to practically beg for an upgrade (given that this was the friday of a big snowstorm in NYC and all of the airports were closed, the rail lines were closing -i.e., Amtrak, and caleccaltions were rolling in so fast they almost couldnt keep up) they begrudgingly gave me an upgrade, so my wife and daughter took the bed, my son took the non fold out couch (yes, a couch that doesnt fold out, what a joke) and I took the chair and propped my feet up on the coffee table. Oh, and asking for extra blankets and pillows, good luck, took four phone calls. I am convinced that Marriott management has decided to take a page from the airlines and even for the best, most heavy spending customers, to ask them for money at every turn. Great for them, bad for us as consumers. I will NEVER go back to the Carleton - no CL, no comp Bfast on weekends, a room and thats about it. So, MikeGinFL, sorry to tell you that what you are getting is Marriott's current state of play, we are lemmings, and we just keep following, at least that is how I see the view they have of us. Hey Bill Marriott - do you know your corporate successors are maing your good name bad?

• 9. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    sg1974 Gold

yes disappointing reply from the hotel.

as anadyr says why not give them a call.

That may just be the standard reply they would send, no harm in asking.

• 10. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    sg1974 Gold

just shows silly short sighted decisions like that will cost them in the long run, i wouldn't be back either.

• 11. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Am I the only one that sees this as a request similar to an upgrade? If you want it guaranteed, you pay for it. (Not sure they would comp it at check in, but just saying the OP wanted the roll away guaranteed before arrival.)

I think its a fair question to ask. "No" was a fair response. As I said in the other thread where you mentioned this, these may be rented on demand by the property. By holding one for you, they are missing revenue elsewhere. I thought you said in the other thread that they were happy to fulfill your response and that the rollaway was $40.00/night. I got the impression they were giving you the upgrade.

I take this as: If I want a oceanfront room, reserve it. If you want to hope for one-go for the upgrade.

• 12. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I am with you.  If you want something guaranteed, you pay for it.

I stayed at the Marriott Niagara Falls and wanted a falls view.  I could have paid for a non-view and hoped to get upgraded.  I knew that I might not get it, so I paid for it because I wanted it.  The idea is that they sell all the rooms that they can for the best prices and if they have unsold view rooms, they offer them as upgrades.  When they give us an upgrade, etc, it is not taking away revenue.

• 13. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?

The other thing, and not an excuse, but I just checked a forthcoming rez and I've been upgraded to a Times Quare View Room already, at the Marquis.  This sometimes happens, but not always.  So, at least once this year they seem to be upgrading Lifers.

• 14. Re: Is this anyway to treat a great customer?
    tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Sometimes I will see this 1-2 days in advance. (Usually the day before to a Concierge level)

1 2 3 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...