20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2015 4:07 AM by kharada46 RSS

Using my points for my daughters honeymoon

wynnker Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I am going to be honest here and get your advise !!!!   My daughter is getting married later in year and I booked her in MY name for a total of 8 days between Singapore and Bali......During Singapore it is the F1 motor racing so she and partner are excited and I was so lucky to get a booking. My question......

Can my daughter get my  lounge access privileges in Singapore ? It sure would be so nice for them .

Same question for Bali , although as it is the Courtyard in Bali are there any advantages .....

I read I can change the name on the booking but as I say I am being honest and do not want to risk losing my booking .....my daughter can use her own credit card for guarantees upon arrival , although I have no issue with using my default card as the one to use .

Finally I would love to upgrade them in Singapore to the best rooms I can , but guess that is not possible     

Any advice in what to do very much appreciated......thanks 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Using my points for my daughters honeymoon
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

wynniker,

Your best best is to call the "Hot Line" or reservation line.  Tell them "Up front", what is going on and request they book the room in both your names and request an upgrade as well.  This is a wedding present, and a great on at that!

When they make the reservation, an upgrade will be asked for, and noted as a wedding gift.  Upon check in, they should give her CL key card, and hopefully an upgrade.

Congratulations and good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

richard37075 Platinum

I would also recommend making it in both names like Jerry said, but one way to guarantee that they will get the amenities during the trip would be for them to enroll in the "Taste for Platinum" a month or so before the big trip.  That way, there is no issue of the hotel not honoring their "promise" since they don't officially have to.

richard37075,

Please forgive me for not knowing but what is "A taste of Platinum"?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jerry,

That is a program when you can be elevated to Platiunum (or Gold, for less nights) byt talking to customer service first.  You are given a trial period in which to stay a particular number of nights(I think it changes but may be around 16 now), and if you meet that challenge number of nights stayed during that 3 month period (plus the partial month you start it), you get to keep the Platinum for the rest of the year, and for the next year.  You are treated and have the status of the level you are trying to do the challenge for, during the period you are trying to acheive it.  If you fail to meet the nights, you are dropped back to the level you were before the challenge.  This is called the "Taste of Gold" or Taste of Platinum" and I believe is designed to try to get people to stay more to meet the challenge, and hopefully make them work harder at keeping that level once they get a "Taste" of the benefits of the higher level.

richard37075 Platinum

richard37075,

Thanks!

Don't think I ever saw this before.

wynnker Platinum

Guess what- surprise surprise - my daughter checked in today after I had taken the time to explain it was her and husband using my points on their honeymoon and those nice Singaporeans said basically get lost ...give us 135 dollars extra night for breakfast and lounge access . I am a platinum member who is now going over to HILTON in future , I know the hotel is within its rights but most normal places  turns a blind eye .......Adios Mr M your new tighter rules are killing you ......

Platinum 28 Reviews

When booking a family member online (after signing in) upon arrival they have always been afforded platinum benefits. (access to lounge etc)

drewtipton Gold

Misterchk - I wish I could say the same thing about the benefits for a family member.

I recently stayed at the Marriott Suites Midtown Atlanta with my parents -- two suites booked, one for them and one for me.  I had confirmed everything over the phone with one of their lovely AYS agents (accessibility for one room, handicapped parking dealt with, breakfast included, etc..).

When we arrived, not only had they given the accessible room to someone else (which was eventually worked out after almost an hour sitting in the lobby!), but they also refused initially to give my parents breakfast vouchers.  After a discussion with the manager on duty (and showing him the email confirmation from the AYS agent), he finally grudgingly gave me the vouchers.  My parents want to stay there again because of convenience, but I'm actively looking for a different property the next time they have to go up to Atlanta.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Whether it is policy or not, I have booked rooms for my adult children in their names and they have always been offered Platinum amenities such as lounge access.  To me, this is one of the benefits of the Marriott Rewards program, whether an official policy or not.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

wynnker,

I highly recommend you get in touch with the hotel GM via e-mail or by calling.  You'll most likely have to contact Marriott Rewards and/or the property itself to get the information, however, this is your best bet at securing an upgrade.  I did this on my recent honeymoon and was able to nab some free Jr Suite upgrades and the hotels even provided bubbly in our room.  Just be sure to explain the situation and be gratuitous about it.  It would also be a good idea to have your daughter bring a small gift for the GM.  I've gotten into the habit of traveling with small gifts from home and give them to staff.  It may not always yield something, but you generally get treated better and may score some extra perks this way.  Either way it's a nice thing to do as well

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews

What kind of gift do you bring, Kharada46?  Good idea.  Can you give a suggestion on what you usually do give?

Much appreciated.

eyesea,

The best "Gift", I have ever given, on International travels is a "US Atlas"!

My State Farm agent gives them to me, (Knowing I give them away), and the recipients are always impressed and appreciative.  Staff at hotels have NO idea of the size/location of cities/and other aspects of The US. 

They meet people from all parts of the US, and with their atlas can easily see where they are from.  It is a magical gift!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Before I met my current wife (a Canadian) I'd never travelled to North America and knew so little about the USA, and cared even less. Now your country absolutely fascinates me. The size of both Canada and USA is amazing, wide roads, huge distances, common language but such different cultures in different states.

Whilst I can easily locate smaller European countries like Lithuania, Macedonia and Andorra on a map, I wouldn't have a clue where to place Wyoming, Nebraska or Rhode Island in the US. Heck, till 5 years ago I thought Vancouver was the capital of Canada and would have placed it near Montreal!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

eyesee,

I'm lucky... I live in Hawaii!  So a simple Hawaii calendar suffices for me!  If warranted, I may bring a little Kona coffee and/or chocolate mac nuts. 

I's suggest bringing something your hometown or state/province is known for.  Its the thought that counts

*lucky1* Silver

I Think you would be able to. I called last year and used my reward points for my daughter when she drove to Alabama. I just called customer service and explained what I wanted to do told them situation and they were more then happy to help me. I am pretty sure she just had to have her own credit card to show for incidentals.I would also think that it's your points she can have same privileges as if you were staying.Hope this helps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...