1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 24, 2013 3:43 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

Italy Spring 2014 - need some travel tips

surfwatcherb Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Calling seasoned travelers of Italy.  My husband and are planning a 2-3wk trip to Italy next spring and We hope to start out with a week in Rome  and then thinking 5 days in the tuscany region and are debating renting a car vs train travels through the towns.  Any answers to the following would be most helpful:

1 rental car  vs train travel and if rental car, which company has the best value?

2 what towns in the Tuscany region to visit and why and also where to stay.  For this portion of our trip we are not limiting ourselves to Marriott and in fact would like to stay at small hotels or B&b's to get a flavor of the area

3 does anyone have an itinerary they would like to share, starting in Rome ending in Venice through Florence?

4 Have you stayed at the Marriott resort in Tuscany and used that as a base to explore the region?

We appreciate any advice you can give us.  We are so looking forward to this trip next spring.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Tuscany, Italy
  • Re: Italy Spring 2014 - need some travel tips
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

Look through this message.  I posted my Italy itinerary in it.  You'll need to scroll through the entire thread to see all of my locations.  I started in Venice and ended in Rome.  23 days if I recall correctly.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/50537#50537

I think a car is best to get around Tuscany and Umbria.  Obviously, you won't want one in Rome, Florence, or Venice. You will need an IDP in Italy.

I always use Kemwel.com or Autoeurope.com, sister companies who are brokers.  Seem to get the best deal thought them.  The rental car company has typically been Europcar.

Have fun!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...