32 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 5:32 PM by nuhusker RSS

A Walk (or Run) Down Memory Lane

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A memory is defined as a person, thing, happening, or act remembered.  When I read about the Marriott Rewards Insiders 42 Contest/Sweepstakes, I was overcome with memories involving baseball flashing before my eyes.  Some of them even brought happy tears to my eyes.  I’ve been a baseball fan my entire life so some of these memories are getting vague, while some of them are very clear.  I have not tried to list these in chronological order, they are just in the order I thought about them.

I REMEMBER...

Wearing a baseball cap rather than a bow when I was young (I guess that was because they had to use scotch tape to get a bow to stick!)

photo.JPG

My dad falling asleep as he listened to the Cardinals on the radio

Touring major league baseball stadiums as we travel around the country

My dad eating peanuts at every game he went to and my brother and I continuing the tradition

Crying when fans yelled at my dad when he was umpiring

Always sitting on the first base side

Remembering how angry my mom was when she found out my dad had allowed my brother to try chewing tobacco (first and last time)

Attending a presentation by Brooks Robinson’s wife while I was in high school.  I don’t remember what she spoke about, but she was wearing a gorgeous pink dress.

My brother saving me a miniature replica of Ray Winder Field when a new field was built in North Little Rock.  Ray Winder Field opened in 1932 and was home to minor league baseball until 2006.  My dad played for the Traveler's at Ray Winder Field.

rwfield.JPG

Working in the ice cream and souvenir stand at Ray Winder Field

Waiting for foul balls to come over the roof of Ray Winder Field

Desperately wanting to win the pony they gave away during a promotion at Ray Winder Field

Watching my brother and his friends spend hours playing pick-up baseball games on the easement next to our house.  My dad finally told them they had to play whiffle ball because they broke too many windows

catcher.JPG

boys.JPG

When my brother discovered the value of the baseball cards my mom had thrown away

Getting hit in the forehead by a pitch when no one noticed I was standing right behind the catcher

Loving to be called a birddog puppy  (scouts are called birddogs)

My dad letting me use his stopwatch to time the runners going to first

Striking up a conversation with a Razorback fan on a street corner in Houston who was looking for somewhere to eat and he hired my husband to take pictures of the ball games the next 2 days when he found out my husband is a sports photographer

Tearing my knee open on a nail when I was climbing into the press box at a Razorback baseball game and the trainer spraying it with some kind of pain killer

Going to Pine Bluff, AR with my dad when he was scouting American Legion ball and stopping for pineapple milkshakes on our way home

Gazing at the San Diego Padres stadium out the window of our room in the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter

paddres.JPG

Watching the Hogs win the regional baseball tournament last spring

CWS.JPG

Trying to talk my dad into letting me take him to the World Series when the Mets were playing

Discovering that my dad had a contract with Louisville Slugger and being able to buy a bat the length and weight that he used

bat.JPG

My trip down Memory Lane has reminded me of all the reasons I LOVE BASEBALL.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A Walk (or Run) Down Memory Lane
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

razorbackfan, these are very special memories you have.  I really enjoyed reading about them.  thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Neat memories

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

That's great...all of it..thanks RBF.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Razorbackfan,

Such neat reminiscing.  Very delightful.  It has sparked some memories of my own.  Thanks for that.

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

RBF, nice post.  Thanks for adding the pictures!  With that view of Petco park, you don't even need to buy a ticket!

Tom

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Wonderful report, and memories for you!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

razor:

Another nice story. Gotta love those memories. They sure do bring us back to a place we enjoyed and miss...but, that's part of growing up I guess!

I read the line about the baseball cards and I remember when all the kids used to save, trade and 'flip' for better cards. Above my desk on the book case I have a shelf of almost 30 years of unopened Topps complete baseball card sets sitting there. I can't believe I still have them....and that I haven't opened them!

Save them they are priceless

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Razorbackfan,

As a "foreigner", from reading your post I learned a lot about baseball and its place in American culture and folklore. Many thanks

A

PS But be a little careful: one day I might be tempted to try to do the same thing - only based on cricket:-)

Arkwright,

Please do!  Cricket seems so similar to baseball.  Actually (and here's where I show my ignorance), when I saw it played on my favorite TV show, Downton Abbey, I became fascinated by it.  I would love to watch a live cricket game someday.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto,

I think you'll find that cricket is much too unrefined for the sophisticated American palate......lol  just kidding, Ark.

Only if Arkwright is the batter!

I say, old bean, that was a bit below the belt, what!!

If you go on like this, I shall be obliged to rise to the challenge - a response that I've studiously avoided for most of my life:-)

A

Just watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel  on the tele, and there was a great scene where the retired judge takes on some street urchins in a jolly game of Cricket.  Fascinating, even though he died a fe days later (but not from the match )

In fact, what the hell..................

Here is a poem, written in the late 19th century, that expresses the close connection (in the minds of our Victorian imperial administrators, educationalists and politicians) between the game of cricket, Britain imperial power, and the moral precepts that were advanced as the justification for "empire". The first verse described the final moments of a schoolboy cricket match, the second a battle in some far-flung part of the then Empire,and the third the moral imperatives that (supposedly) guided the use of imperial power. "Play up, play up and play the game" - the standards learned on the cricket field would guide behaviour through life.

There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night --
            Ten to make and the match to win --
            A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
            An hour to play and the last man in.
            And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
            Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
            But his Captain's hand on his shoulder smote
            "Play up! play up! and play the game!"

The sand of the desert is sodden red, --
            Red with the wreck of a square that broke; --
            The Gatling's jammed and the colonel dead,
            And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
            The river of death has brimmed his banks,
            And England's far, and Honour a name,
            But the voice of schoolboy rallies the ranks,

This is the word that year by year
            While in her place the School is set
            Every one of her sons must hear,
            And none that hears it dare forget.
            This they all with a joyful mind
            Bear through life like a torch in flame,
            And falling fling to the host behind --

Better than the "World Turned Upside Down" from Conwallis's band at Yorktown

Now Anadyr, old chap, you must understand that such unfortunate events had long been expunged from the memories of the British upper middle classes:-) Just a little, local accident!

A

As I recall the textbooks said, "In 1789 the Crown disembarassed itself from a minor colony" or something along those lines.

Wonderful word............."disembarassed".

I think Mr Lincoln would have approved ......and that would be praise indeed. .

A

Yes it ranks with disestablishmentarianism as one of my favorites.  Cheers!

And on that note.............time for a glass or two.

Best for now,

A

Very nice, Arkwright.  My next google search journey will take me to information on the possibilities of seeing a live cricket game whence I visit the UK next spring.

I'm enjoying this thread, and hope Razorbackfan will see the banter as a high compliment to her fine quality post.

Precisely - though I'm not too sure what Arne Sorensen etc would make of it!

Depending on when you are over here, I'd suggest either going to Lord's (actually not named after the spectators, but a guy called Thomas Lord, a pure-bred entrepreneur if ever there was one, who owned the eponymous cricket ground in London) or to Oxford or Cambridge - each of which have immaculate grounds.

A

Thanks, Ark.  I'll check it all out.  Excited about the prospect (even though it is a bit unrefined for the sophisticated American palate ( Pained, you platinum you...)

amyjp Gold 25 Reviews

Well you provoked my baseball memories. I will need to jot them down as we'll. Thanks!

juniperpt Silver 25 Reviews

A great set of memories that helped bring back some of mine as a young boy. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, juniperpt.  Welcome to Marriott Insiders.  I'm very glad that my entry helped you remember some of your baseball memories.  Baseball has been an important part of my life since I was a baby.  I was hoping to get more votes, but that's the way the ball bounces. 

You had my vote, rbfan.  Sorry you didn't win.  Thanks for sharing such enjoyable memories with us.

Thank you for your vote, pluto.  To be honest, I had decided not to enter any more contests, but this one intrigued me.  I also need points for our summer trip, so I thought it would be a good way to earn 1000 for entering.  I was excited to learn I was a finalist because that meant 7000 more points.  My husband had to remind me not to get my hopes up this time, so I am being gracious in defeat.

I'm glad you got some points.  The post provided enjoyment to many, and an opportunity for you to journal, if you will, important memories.  The contest also provoked some important childhood memories for me as well (revolving around a beloved step-grandmother, who was a veritable almanac on all things Dodgers), and I had decided I wanted to at least write about it for my own benefit, but was unable to make the time.  I still plan on doing the exercise however, because it's important to me.

In the end, you're a winner after all, and always gracious, which goes without saying.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

rbfan -- keep the stories and pictures coming our way.  That's one of the best reasons for me to check in on Insiders every day.  And, I also really enjoyed your story.  I think I cast the first vote in the contest and that was for your story.  So keep us in the loop on what's up in Dingerville (that was the name of the ficticious, at least I think it was, town set up by the LSU baseball fans every year at CWS in Omaha. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...