2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 3:21 PM by anadyr RSS

Legendary Baseball Parks?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK I grew up in Pittsburgh so I am predjudiced.  But Forbes Field, the former home of the Pittsburgh Pirates was a great place to watch the national pastime.

Here are some facts about the ballpark, which opened in 1909.:

On August 5, 1921, Forbes Field was the site of the first live radio broadcast of a Major League Baseball game in the United States. The play-by-play action between the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Philadelphia Phillies was done by an announcer from station KDKA.  He was sitting in a box seat next to the first-base dugout.

On May 25, 1935, Babe Ruth hit the last homerun of his Major League career there.The blast cleared the right-field wall, then cleared the screen and finally cleared the doubledeck grandstands. The historic shot (a first of that distance in Forbes Field) was approximately eighty-six feet high and at least three-hundred feet away from home plate.

The first ballpark elevator was installed here, and during the 1950s, the first outfield wall "crash pads" were installed.

Most of the game-action scenes from the 1951 film Angels in the Outfield were filmed at the stadium

More than four-thousand Major League ballgames were played at Forbes Field.  No pitcher ever threw a  no hitter there.

Center field's deepest point was an ivy covered brick wall that measured 435 feet away from home plate.

Right field, Clemente's territory, was 408 feet away.

The most common building material used was wood!

Maxium capacity was 44,000 diehard Pirate fans.

Bob Prince, the longtime announcer loved the place, we can all recall his coments when the Buccos were behind by two: "We need a bloop and a blast!" When the {irates were behind by three, Prince would say, "We need a bleeder, a bloop and a blast!"

So, who else has a favorite baseball park--not one of these artifical turn, domed, equal putfied things, but a real park where you mighe get a splinter on a bleacher seat or beaned by a four ball in the upper deck.  At Forbes Field there were so many poles that we always assumed we'd be seated behind one, and that made for a great day at the park.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
  • Re: Legendary Baseball Parks?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

My favorite ball park is/was Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha.  Rosenblatt has been the site of the College World Series since 1950.  Many of the famous names we have all seen and admired in the majors made an appearance at the CWS, and some of them were drafted by MLB while playing at the CWS.  I took leave during the CWS and from 1982 to 1994, I attended every CWS game.  Although the stadium changed, the playoff format changed, and ticket prices and seating design changed over the years, the CWS still remains my all time favorite sporting event...well except for Husker football of course.  I recall buying a book of 10 general admission tickets for $5.00 (half price since I was an AKSARBEN member), so 50 cents a game, and as a GI I could take a guest in on the same ticket.  I'd show up around 2 pm and take a seat on the bleachers immediately adjacent to first base.  I'd watch batting/fielding practice for two hours scouting out all the big names and then I'd stay for the 4pm and 7pm games getting home around 11pm every night of the CWS.  I won't bore you with all the big names I saw pass thru Rosenblatt, but suffice it to say that many are HOF'ers.  But then some are dopers too.  Rosenblatt closed in 2010 and was demolished the following year.  There's a new stadium now in Omaha for CWS, but I, and my family, will always have fond memories, and a bunch of autographed baseballs, from Rosenblatt.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Legendary Baseball Parks?
      Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Neat memories Husker.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...