14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 10:23 AM by vacation RSS

Platinum Premier - why?

seattlite Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Welcome to 2013.  Another year of week in and out stays in a hotel room.  Another year of being a MR Platinum Premier member.

As I reflect on my status, only given to the top 3% of Platinum members, I ask myself why.  Why would Marriott send me a bathroom tote as a gift?  Surely someone at Marriott must realize that I already have the travel accessories category figured out, given that I stayed over 160 nights at their hotel chain last year.  I appreciate the sentiment of a gift, but the gift itself doesn't seem to fit.  I suppose it might make more sense than a solar-powered USB charger.  Gosh, was that two years ago?  Oh yeah, last year there was an online subscription to the WSJ.

Why am I writing all this?  Am I just another ungrateful traveler and rewards snob?  Maybe I am, but maybe there's a point to this rant.

Marriott needs to put something, anything in writing that guarantees Platinum Premier members something more than everyone else.  Sure, PP gets folks to the front of the line for upgrades (if they're available), but where is the REAL bonus?  Why not offer some innovative features like what Starwood's tiered SPG program created?  Platinum level is 50 nights, but you keep earning more GUARANTEED benefits by achieving 75 nights and 100 nights.

Dare I say it, why even have a PP tier when members who achieve that level of status may or may not actually benefit?  Hilton Honors doesn't have any problem only offering 3 tiers and still has loyalty a plenty.  When Delta implemented Diamond status three years ago, they also rewarded members with some tangible benefits (arguably diminished over time, but we're not talking about bathroom totes made in China).

C'mon Marriott Rewards.  Reward me as a Platinum Premier.  Quit toying with my fierce loyalty.  This year I only plan to stay the minimum nights required to hit all the promotions (what's that, 75 nights?).  Wouldn't you rather entice me to keep staying 160 a year?  Maybe not.

Sincerely,

Steve

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Premier - why?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Steve,

Great point!

This is so "Timely", I just sent Jasper a note on The CNBC post about my "Demotion" from PP to P, and my appeal (To now result}, because the "Computer" said I was not in the top 3%, with 110+ nights?

Wow, I guess we are living with "Hal, in 2001 A Space Odyssey"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Welcome to the program of reduced expectations.  We stay, they reduce the benefits, any questions?

vacation Platinum

Steve The worst thing that they have done is to increase the gift cheques to 204,000 points they have just taken away any bonuses that you have earned

seattlite Platinum

Even at 135,000 points each (I purchased at a "discount" two years ago), it's too much.  Should be 100k points for $1,000 Marriott bucks.

dd992emo Platinum

OK...your first mistake was "reflecting on your status". Really?

seattlite Platinum

yes.  why wouldn't you reflect on your status if you lived half your year in a hotel?  perhaps the status should mean something ...something more than a travel tote and no written promises of more points, better treatment, etc.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Masculine tote at that. Thanks, but the tote was intended for ya menfolk.

bclinton26 Platinum 2 Reviews

Totally in agreement with your assessment. 3%? May as well be the 47%. There's nothing different or special at check in. Tonight I was offered a bottle of water. At one hotel in NC, though, one of my colleagues (3-percenter) received a small bottle of wine and a mixed nut bowl at checkin every week

There should be a different menu of choice at check in, for the three-percenters (3Ps); recognizing that we all may have different needs.As a result, Marriott may want to poll its 3-Ps to get a sense overall of what would be preferred

Come on Marriott - Lets' show some leadership.

With bated breath.....B

seattlite Platinum

Well put BC26.  A different menu option at check-in is a great idea for a way to reward the P. Premier bunch.  Or, how about bringing back the buy one, get one weekend night certificates for all Premiers?

Whatever the case, Marriott please step up and show some support for your most frequent customers.  We've supported you through many years both good and bad.  I haven't double-checked, but I'd estimate my personal hotel room charges at around $150,000.  What's that worth?

Platinum 28 Reviews

Amen travelling brothers.

I checked in at the Atlanta Marriott from a delayed flight, missing a connection, and my status received NO SMILE, NO SPECIAL TREATMENT AND NO UPGRADE.  In fact my room was falling apart (not to  mention the noise of the elevators).

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

This is not just happening in Atlanta.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Sea and Bc: your points are well taken. I am not in your league, more like 100 nites/yr, but the pooints you made parallel those in a thread I stared and othersI have commented on. Marriott will wake up one day, and its big spenders will be big spending elsewhere, as the deafening silence from simple requests go ignored and unanswered. I was, like you, staying many nights in marriott properties during rhe dark days of 2008/2010, and continued them to this day (I am in UK now, staying at a Marriott property this week). I guess that no matter what we say or do, the only thing that will get the Marriott higher up's attention is when we all cancel our stays and start going elsewhere, because in volume, they will notice we are gone and then scramble to figure out how to get us back. They will have violated the old rule: you only get once chance to make a good first impression. When the revenue disappears, they will take notice.

vacation Platinum

Let's face it the new management at Marriott does not read these posts.They have over a hundred posts to the upping of Marriott cheques to 204,000 points and not one is positive but nothing has been done.I have sent e-mails to corporate and received auto-response from them.What we have to do is complain to every manager[even though it's not their fault] about this and ask them to relay our concerns to corporate.When they feel the loss of potential stays they hopefully will wake up

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...