5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 1:17 AM by jerrycoin RSS

The Minor Leagues Gave Me the American Pasttime

parrottrl Member
Currently Being Moderated

Once upon a time in Macon, Georgia, the Braves played at Luther Williams Field. No, not the Major League team that's been firmly ensconced in Atlanta for my lifetime at least, but the minor league team. Not long before the team moved north to Rome (also Georgia), my father and uncle took me to see my first, and so far only, minor league game. The day was blisteringly hot and Macon is perilously near the state's gnat-line, but our seats were in the shaded part of the stands.

For background, all my life, my family has loved baseball with a weird, almost religious fervor that they reserve for...nothing else. It's uncanny. It's also something that somehow got skipped in my part of our genetic code. I could love watching the game with my grandfather, for instance, but I could not find my love of the game itself. But that day in Macon, I did feel something, possibly brought on by the unique gusto with which minor league players play the game. Perhaps heat exhaustion. Nevertheless, despite having watched many Braves games in Atlanta, I found myself drawn to the action on the field like I never had been before. To the abandon. To the drama. To the pathos of a team soon bound for another city, far from their fans and familiar Luther Williams.

I learned to appreciate the beauty and spirit of baseball that day, if only for a little while.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Macon, Georgia, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Macon West
  • Re: The Minor Leagues Gave Me the American Pasttime
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

parrottri,

That is a wonderful story!

I happen to love Macon, and have worked at the large exhibition hall along I-75.  There are a couple of Marriott's there, and the "Georgia hospitality" is wonderful!

I try not to take the I-75 bypass, but enjoy actually driving thru the city.

South Georgia, is very special, and the "High School Football Games" are some of the best in the country!  ( ie, Valdosta, and all!}

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Macon, Georgia, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Macon West
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Baseball is a game played slowly, with great moments and great interludes when almost nothing is happening.  I've loved the game a long time.

anadyr,

The late Jack Buck, said broadcasting a baseball game was the most difficult for an announcer!  To much "Dead time", but he was one of the best!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Good old Joe, what a guy.   Now with stats people, moving graphics, multiple cameras, and a color guy, the main announcer only has to call balls and strikes.

anadyr,

Yes so true!

We are getting a bridge built here over the Mississippi that will be dedicated to Stan Musial!

Well deserved and should be a very special bridge.

Have you ever heard of anyone saying anything "Negative" about "Stan the Man"?

Wille Mays, Wille McCovey, Hank Aaron, go down the list of "Non-controversial" true stars!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...