10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2016 10:48 AM by brightlybob RSS

When will Marriott consider to put out a Marriott rewards credit card for european residents?

jaf Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As a loyal Marriott customer for many years I am getting tired of not getting similar benefits as US residents, as they get 15 free nights by getting the Marriott rewards premier credit card, plus other amenities... I hope this will be solved shortly as Marriott is a global player, and I am certain is looking at this situation, that puts europeans at a a big disadvantage to get gold or platinum statust as to their US counterparts. Hope Marriott hears this and ries to look up for some sort of solution to balance this disadvantage.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When will Marriott consider to put out a Marriott rewards credit card for european residents?
    decko70 Platinum

couldnt agree more

I live in Ireland - and i cannot get one - yet UK residents can

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When will Marriott consider to put out a Marriott rewards credit card for european residents?
    mllemaupin Gold

As a Gold member, I couldn't agree more. They take our money, so we ought to be allowed some benefits.

joriz Platinum

I really don't see why Marriott  doesn't consider this easy opportunity to draw new customers by increasing popularity of their benefits program.

Currently I only stay with Marriott for business trips as my employer prefers Marriott.

For private trips I prefer the Hilton or Sheraton which offers approximately the same value / quality without the need of a "Gold" status.

Being allowed a Marriott VISA card holder would change that; it would allow me to become Platinum in time and then the scales tip in favor of Marriott.

I am trying to convince my (14.000 people large) employer to switch prefered hotel chain to Hilton or Sheraton.

In other words; me, my organization and lots of other Europeans would probably be spending significantly more time & money when given equal benefit opportunities as are offered to US residents.

Seems a no-brainer to me, so don't understand why Marriott is not going for the low hanging fruit here...

rehansen Gold

As I understand it, Visa Inc. has acquired Visa Europe and becomes one company.

Maybe then THIS DISCRIMINATION will end.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Don't hold your breath, lads! Setting up a loyalty credit card is an expensive game, the bank has to reach a deal with the associated company, then seek regulatory approval and market the card. The up front costs are huge, but the USA is a massive economy with high credit card acceptance so after the setup costs are met the bank can then sell to 300 million willing customers. Those initial setup costs are similar in each country so in Britain after all the effort and expense their potential market is only 50 million. The holding of multiple cards, whilst common in the USA & UK, is far less popular in Europe. It's a free market in the remainder of Europe but as yet no bank sees sufficient interest to justify the setup costs.

Of course, it could be possible in the Eurozone to set up a single banking system, but that's not happened. A single currency is very different from a single banking system. Currently every country regulates its own banking industry, setting out the rules for loans, credit cards, mortgages, current (checking) accounts etc, etc. They do so because ultimately almost every government assumes some responsibility to guarantee depositors in the event of bank failure and therefore has "skin in the game". So until the Germans/French/Portugese etc, etc are prepared to have their banks regulated by a board that sits in Brussels there'll be no possibility of a Europewide credit card. And I can't see banking union occurring until Brussels accepts the price of banking union falling on the EUs shoulders, rather than, as currently, on each member state.

The EU of ever closer union is currently taking a breather, troubles in Portugal, Ireland and Greece 5 years ago that developed into a full-blown crisis in Greece last year have rather deflated the federalist balloon. The German politicians already resent their funding to the Greek state, its difficult to see them hand over their banks to an EU regulatory framework and then stand, as by far the most powerful economy in the Eurozone they surely must, guarantor to the entire Eurozones banking system. Remember, poorly regulated banking almost bankrupted both the USA and the UK in 2008 and actually did bankrupt Iceland. Is Germany really confident about Italian banking regulation? Greek? Spanish?

This is what must happen to bring forward an EU loyalty credit card of any denomination, hotel or airline. We'll be waiting a long time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...