0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2012 12:28 PM by sdfundad RSS

Maui - Do and Don't Do

sdfundad Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Got back from using Marriott points at Wailea Marriott.  Amazing property!  It was undergoing a rennovation of its restaurants so there were not a lot of options to eat, but the spa, pools and view are world class.

My wife and I went snorkeling on a catamaran trip that left close to the hotel.  It ended up being an amazing whale encounter.  A humpback whale and its calf came within 5 feet of the boat.  Truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.  I recommend this trip if you are there in January like we were.

We wasted an entire day doing the "drive to Hana".  While it was incredibly scenic, it was not relaxing or overly exciting.  It is stressful navigating the hundreds of turns on the road, and it is hard to go at your own speed because the line of cars starts to back up either in front of you or behind you.  It rains most of the time on that side of the island, so it was cool and damp and we sat in wet clothes the whole day.

The luau at the hotel is mediocre.  Great show, food was just alright.  They actually ran out of the roasted pig.

We drove to Kannapaali (not sure I spelled that right) and went to the Sheraton by Black Rock.  We rented snorkel gear for $10 or so and walked right into the ocean to see some amazing reefs.

All in all an incredible trip.  I recommend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...