6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2013 4:13 PM by joe.isenberg RSS

Catagory 1-4 hotel in NYC

slh531977 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I need a hotel that is cat 1-4 in NYC to stay at. Any ideas on the best one for ease of public transportation. Plan on Visiting manhattan and touring the city thru public transportation. Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: Catagory 1-4 hotel in NYC
    artisttraveler Gold 17 Reviews

I realize this doesn't fully answer your question but will share our experience re Cat 4 possibilities. The Renaissance Elizabeth near EWR is very nice and has shuttle service to EWR airport. From there you can get to a NYC-bound train although a little cumbersome. They may be willing to get you to the train station directly. The Marriott Teaneck is also very nice but i don't think there are any public transport options from there. I don't recommend the Springhill at EWR. I don't have any experience with the Queens/LI hotels so cannot address that. If you follow up with Renaissance, call and ask for Monika V., one of the managers. She is a delight to work with and will tell you what they can do.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

slh531977 Silver 17 Reviews

Thanks a bunch, I will check those out.

Any experience with this one?

Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I think there has been a very good write-up on this property but I can't find it. I believe it was from tjcnewyork, who does not post here anymore.

From an access standpoint, the 7 line to NYC from this hotel is an easy ride to Grand Central or Times Square. I have used it to get to CitiField from Grand Central and back again multiple times when visiting NYC. If you are going to use public transit, Grand Central is an easy transfer to get you to any parts of Manhattan you desire. In addition, it is an easy walk from Grand Central or Times Square to many other sites you might want to see. I am sure there will be a lot of help provided from Insiders if there is something specific you want to find out about!

Happy Travels!

artisttraveler Gold 17 Reviews

Sorry, no experience with FI, LIC. If you can get train or subway nearby - might work out. Also, see TripAdvisor to see what others say. Oops! - Just checked the web site:  train/subway

is 1 mile away.

Let me add: I'm assuming you have a Cat 4 certificate to use and are trying to save money. I'm sure you have noticed that the Manhattan hotels tend to be Cat 7 and 8. Staying out in NJ is going to be inconvenient for seeing NYC at best. If you can swing it, I would suggest you stay in one of the Marriott in-city properties - it's so much easier to get around, and quicker, too, when you are near a subway station. We have stayed at many of the mid-town properties and can recommend pretty much any of them - perhaps making your choice on which one has the best rate for the time you will be there. (Don't forget to look for Seniior or other discounts that may apply to you.) Properties we have enjoyed:

Marriott Marquis

Marriott East Side (ask for a backside quiet room if street noise bothers you)

Renaissance Times Square

Courtyard Times Square South

Residence Inn Times Square - breakfast room always crowded

Renaissance 57 (tends to have street noise)

We have also stayed at Fairfield Inn NY Brooklyn (I think it's a 5 or 6) but is several blocks from a subway to get you into Manhattan. Plus some of the surrounding area not so good.
    Other properties are likely good but don't have personal experience.

gracern Silver

Hello, slh... I'm from New Jersey and quite familiar with traveling in and out of NYC. I don't think you will find anything in the category you are looking for unless you are willing to stay on the Jersey side (or Queens by the airport) - neither of which is as good as staying in Manhattan itself! However, I do understand about looking for the lower categories as a vsit to NYC usually means spending a truckload of money! Also, I hope you are planning your trip way in advance and not during the summer. Summertime is the busiest time in NYC and hotels tend to raise their already sky-high prices even more at that time. From my experience, the least expensive Marriott property to stay in is the Fairfield Inn brand. There are two that are conveniently located - one is right next to the Port Authority bus terminal and the other is around 36th or 37th Street midway between 5th and 6th Avenues. These hotels are in Manhattan itself so getting around by bus or subway is very easy. What I do have to say is that the rooms are postage stamp size. In Manhattan, space is a premium! Another good thing about the FI is that they offer a free hot breakfast. The one on 36th (or 37th, I can't remember now) street even gave me 500 bonus points for staying there a couple of weeks ago! There is also a Marriott property in Jersey City along Washington Street which is right next to the PATH train station. This is a very convenient location since you can just get on the PATH train (it's literally next door to the Marriott) and it'll take you to 33rd Street in midtown NYC and/or to the World Trade Center site. This is the best property to stay in if you choose to stay in NJ because of the convenient commute, not to mention the area itself is safe and there are restaurants, a nice park, the waterfront with a view of the NY skyline, and also a big shopping mall across the street. If you have any other questions I can help with, feel free to respond!

Good luck on your search.

joe.isenberg Member 2 Reviews

Try the Hotel Edison! It;s off Broadway with a theatre across the street, has 38 floors and a great eatery.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...