36 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2013 2:20 PM by anadyr RSS

A day in the life of a beach

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Walking the beach on different days and at different times yields color, tide, and illumination changes.  Here's a collage of the photos from this week

Happy Ides of March!

Beach March 2013.jpg

Extra points for naming the plants!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Carmel by the Sea, CA, USA
  • Re: A day in the life of a beach
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

would these points be de-valued as well???  nice pics!  thanks for posting.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We have twenty categories of points for answers so yes they would be worth-less!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I spy seaweed.

How did you collage these?  I have some from January I be happy to share if you please.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

When you can, could you post a picture of "The Sardine Factory"!

I hope it is as good as it was decades ago!

I failed to get a picture of the place, and it was one of my favorites in the area!

Thanks!

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the comment and the question:

I've got to be careful about posting photos from copyrighted sources but here's their website which has a virtual tour and other photos.

I (along with others) reviewed them for Zagat in 2012 and was happy but not overwhelmed.  Based on a recent dinner I said they were still good, but not innovative enough, for my tastes. Others did not agree and they got fairly good review scores as you can see,

The bar is still great, the parking is free as always, but the prices are a tad high for what you get,  Bert C. and his staff are wonderful hosts, salt of the earth, but the place needs a [physical and culinary makeover IMHO.

BTW, I'd suggest Passionfish in Pacific Grove, reasonable prices but excellent perhaps the best in fresh seafood, and wines that are marked up less than 15 dollars a bottle, as opposed to doubling or tripling the price at other locations.

I've been hearing good things about Passionfish for quite a while now.  We must try it.  You didn't say if you minded if I posted some more snaps here... well, you had your chance .

Pacific Grove

IMAG1046.jpgIMAG1051.jpg

IMAG1057.jpg

IMAG1063.jpg

IMAG1066.jpg

IMAG1068.jpg

Hi Pluto

Looks very familiar.  Thanks for the photos.  We have to make do with the scenery don't we?  Have you ever been there before dawn when the squid boats are out? They have high intensity lights they shine directly in the water on either side of the boats to draw the future calmaris to the surface.  A scene right out of Doc Rickett's and Cannery Row!

Speaking of which

"Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream. Cannery Row is the gathered and the scattered, tin and iron and rust and splintered wood, chipped pavement and weedy lots and junk heaps, sardine canneries of corrugated iron, honky tonks, restaurants, and ***** houses, and little crowded groceries, and laboratories and flophouses."

Perhaps the best opening line in 20th century literature.

Indeed, Steinbeck said it best.  I'll have to check out the Calamari boats once I'm retired - and every day will thus be a Saturday - as presently, getting up before dawn on a non-work day just seems  - so wrong.  (But the pre-dawn lights shining into the water sounds rather interesting).

Cannery Row is so touristy...

A blast from the past.  The gals in our motorcycle group (now defunct) at Cannery Row during MotoGP weekend in 2004.  I still can't believe Jodi (front row) wore that thing!  I'm behind her looking like my usual conservative self... although we did puff on little cigars that evening  (scandalous!)

DSC00057.JPG

Touristy Cannery Row, shut down for Superbike weekend.

Cannery Row.jpg

Corkscrew at Laguna Seca

DSC00065.JPG

You've got the knack! For both fun and photography.  A good friend keep promising he'll get me into the Lab for Pacific Biological but to date he has not been able to deliver.

Neat photos, thanks

anadyr,

Thanks for your information!

Sounds like they may need to call "Restaurant Impossible"!

Understand about the photo policy.  I have not been there since 1975, so a lot can change, but I am glad they are at least still open!

Jerry, it is in the capable hands of Bert Cutino and Ted Balesteri and there's a new chef with new ideas I hear.  Like The French Laundry in Yountville CA, it is a definite stop on the California restaurant tour.

anadyr,

Is the "French Laundry" still rated the finest place to dine in The US?

Have not been there, but sure read a lot about it!

What Marriott property would you recommend one to stay in for dinner there?

Jerry

Depends, there are competing places that Zagat rates high was well (check out the Zagat.com website for more information.  I think NYC might be the best place to dine in the US, according to the ratings of some of the places, but somehow a 300 meal for two is not within my budget unless someone else is paying!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Very nice!! 

Thanks very much!

My turn now pluto77!

Oahu

31407_1482883033619_7956462_n.jpg

31407_1482883233624_6592442_n.jpg

39352_1546484183608_8013082_n.jpg

205455_1029221092354_8393_n.jpg

39478_1548880803522_3595270_n.jpg

38728_1548872203307_5700312_n.jpg

306184_3829890147330_1489484785_n.jpg

kh,

Very nice!

Thanks Jerry!  Incentive to come to Hawaii?  

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Wow.  Now THAT"S a BEACH!  beautiful....

kh,

Been to your lovely state 6 times and always enjoyed it!

Like Honolulu the best!

Can't wait to comeback, now that I now someone on the island, you!

jerrycoin,

haha, thanks!  Let me know when you do! 

blava007 Platinum

kharada46  Great photos of the beautiful 50th state ... Hawaii.

Beautiful, Kyle. So much warmth of color. The last one reminds me of waking up to the sunrise in the East China Sea. Too long ago.  What is the animal in the photograph after the one of the turtle?

Nice work.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Pluto!  The one after the turtle was just rock formations   We only really have turtle and monk seals on the beach, though I have yet to see a seal on the beach! 

I see.  It almost looks like it could be a manta ray or perhaps the flipper of a whale.  Again, great stuff.

pluto77, I have yet to catch a picture of a whale!  Unfortunately, the last time I went on a whale watching cruise, all I had was a super slow, old point-and-shoot camera.  Must try again!  Still gotta try to catch a picture of a monk seal on the beach too!  Seems like every time I go to the beach, they're never there, but they are there the day before and/or the day after! 

But, thanks again!   

We have plenty in Monterey if you're here to watch

I'd love to come to Monterey to not only see sea life at the aquarium and in the wild, but for the awesome seafood as well!   

Come on down!

Wish I could!  I'll be at LAX for 2-3 days on my way back from Europe in November, but that's about it!  It's on my list for sure though!   

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Wow, amazing pictures---I like the second one from the bottom the best!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...