11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2013 4:27 PM by tomd68 RSS

Using points to maintain my platinum status

cliftoncnyc1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I was offered a promotion in which if I redeemed 40K points, I could maintain my platinum status as long as it was done by the 1st of April. I am trying to take advantage of this promotion, but I can't find it in the system, Please help.Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Using points to maintain my platinum status
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Interesting...I'm not familiar with this type of offer. I hope someone chimes in with some help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jessejames Platinum 1 Reviews

I have never heard of that kind of promotion.  The only close items I have heard is an email encouraging you to stay more nights and they would add bonus nights to qualify you to the next tier.  However, that was a few years ago.  That's usually in December, as nights reset/rollover in January.

lalo Platinum 1 Reviews

I received same promotion and after a few hours i could not find again, if you get any ansewer pls let me know

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

It's an e-mail from Marriott Rewards, addressed to the recipient with an offer to purchase back your status for *** amount of points.  If you didn't meet your required night stays in order to maintain your status, this is an offer where you can buy back your status.  Not sure what you mean by not being able to find it in the system?  Since it's an e-mail, it should be in your inbox.  Hope this helps

fhllast4ever Platinum

Just call Marriott  Rewards and tell them you want to buy back your platinum status.

wheatleyjp Gold

I've gotten this before... but here is the thing... why would you?

There is a huge difference between being GOLD and SILVER, but the difference between PLATINUM and GOLD is very slim. If you don't renew your platinum, you are only going to fall one level for a year. They don't take you clear to the bottom all at once. Once at Gold, they will continue to offer you point if you dont reach the level, but it is less than platinum. I think it was 20K last time for me.

Bottom Line, unless you just LOVE that bag of chips when you show up at a hotel, or think you can recoup the 40K in stays (which, by the way, would require about $160,000 to refill the points through the bonus differential--it being 50% vs 25% at Gold)  it is not worth it to waste your points for PLATINUM--check out the GOLD again... free upgrades, bonuses, etc.

lalo Platinum

Thank you , you are right, there is no difference between platinum or golg category.

chrispark Platinum

In general you are right.

What you want is Suite upgrades Platinum and Gold could be huge different especially in Asia-Pacific countries.

Also, we have to aware that there are many new gold and platinum members by Taste of Gold/Platinum program last year.

However, if you do not need Suite upgarde you might be right.

Being a Gold member should give you access to the Club Lounge. For most people free breakfast and club access should be good enough.

Hope this helps "lalo"'s decision.

My point is there will much more gold and platinum members this and next years.

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

Chris, do the lower tier hotels have anything to offer in the way of upgrades?  I'm staying in a Fairfield Inn for a week and will ask, but is it even worth asking? 

How about upgrades if you're staying on points?  I'd expect that since you're staying for "free" anyway, they'd be less likely to provide upgrades. 

chrispark Platinum

Tom, I stay at JW Marriott or Full service Marriott most of time. 80% of my stays are in Europe, Asia-Pacific countries.

So I am not the expert for lower tier hotels in North America.

However, I had a couple of stays For lower tier hotels 5-6 years ago.

They gave me upgrades and treated me very well.

Even some of staff members told me I was the first Platinum member.

(I stayed at lower tier hotels when there were no full service ones meaning the towns were kind of small or in the middle of nowhere)

Anway, Tom if you travel with your wife or somebody important....and upgrade is really important contact the hotel in advance politely.

It will give you the maximum possibility.

Marriott treats Award night stay pretty well. If you stay at certain for the first time by using the points I am not quite sure.

But you have stayed there before as Gold/Platinum before and stay with points...most of times you will get the same response.

Hope this helps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...