8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2013 12:57 PM by pluto77 RSS

How exactly is this not a clearly defined "bait & switch"?

sweet1231 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

So, last year or two elites have really taken it on the chin as far as benefits go. EEOs were a specific issue for me but not the only loss.

But after registering AND COMPLETING my spring 2013 mega bonus promotion (6 stays for 3 free cat 1-4 nights) Marriott has decided to move all of the hotels that I've used these certs at in the past up to a Cat 5. wth?

I called to attempt to switch to the other version of the megabonus (that others in my office HAVE been granted)that allows cat 1-5 redemption only to be told that it (a)isn't allowed and (b) I wouldn't want to switch even if it was allowed because I could only earn 2 - cat 5 nights - which will be news to my co-workers. That was on two separate calls to the MR Gold line.

Because of the timing and misinformation via the Gold line,how is this not a classic bait and switch? I'm aware that I can book these until midMay but that wasn't what I signed up for and Marriott knows that.

Has Marriott lost its moral compass and looking at only the line? If so, I'm glad I shifted the bulk of my stays to spg and hyatt, but always wanted to keep MR in my lineup.Can  here actually help with these issues or is this board simply for ranting?

thanks for taking the time to read and allowing me to get this off my chest

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How exactly is this not a clearly defined "bait & switch"?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Dear Sweet,

You are not alone in your disappointment that Marriott has chosen to raise the categories of a large percentage of it's inventory, the greatest being in the area of Cat. 4 to Cat 5 and Cat. 5 to Cat. 6.  Many have lamented this decision.  The good news (if one can call it that) is that so long as you book your Cat. 4 certificates prior to May 16th (for hotels that will be moving up to Cat. 5), they will be honored after May 16th.  I have four to use up (fortunately they don't expire until near the end of the year), and have already booked one for September at a Cat. 4 property (Marriott Burbank) that will be increased to a Cat. 5 in May.  I also plan on using two at Marriott Oakland in July (also moving to Cat. 5) for a SF weekend.  Just make sure that after you book your stays, do not make any changes to the reservation (even to add extra towels), or else you'll lose out.

Second, did I understand you correctly to say that some of your co-workers are enrolled in a megabonus promotion that awards Cat. 5 certificates?  Because with the category increases, they should now be offering cat. 5 megabonus promotions to everyone!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

pluto

Yes, some folks got 'upgraded' to Cat. 1-5 certificates during megabonus - depended on when, and who you asked

sweet1231 Gold

Well, that seems fair. <sarcasm off> Ridiculous for an international company.

I am absolutely delighted to report that Marriott Rewards Support switched me from the Cat. 1-4 megabonus promo to the Cat. 1-5 megabonus promo.  Because of that, Marriott just won 4 paid stays from me, which otherwise would have been 0.  The rep. on the phone said that marketing selects who gets what, and that she'd have to get special dispensation from her manager to change me (she referred to it as a one time exception.)  After she switched me, I explained to her that with the Category increases, without being changed to the different bonus promo, and because I am a leisure client, Marriott had lost 6 paid stays from me, because the Cat. 1-4 promo is now worthless to me.  Now however, they've gained 4 (you can only do 4 stays earning 2 certs with the Cat. 1-5 promo.)

Thankful that someone at Marriott saw the light for a small win/win.  This is the face of Marriott that originally won my loyalty, and I was glad to catch a glimpse of it again.

sweet1231 Gold 25 Reviews

Yes, co-workers have been switched to the more rewarding cat 1-5 certs. PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG - Marriott  change the rules of their program anytime and their guests will decide if it's still the right program for them. But to release a promotion (with such specific redemption rules) and then change - not the rules - but the actual categories of redemption is nearly fraudulent.

I can appreciate the ability to book the 1-4s into May but when you spend 200+ nights a year on the road, booking 4-6-8 months out (esp with no changes allowed) is just unacceptable.

Sweet,

I'm not happy about booking these Cat. 4's way in advance either.  I was just letting you know your options.  It's the same with booking on points.  Right now, I'm having to do research that I don't have time for to get a Cat. 8 hotel booked for Spring 2014 (to a destination I've never been) before the hotel cat. increases to 9 on May 16th.  And once I book it, I will not be able to change it, so I'd better do it carefully and thoughtfully (again, timing for this is really bad).

I know that may have sounded like petty whining, which wasn't my intent.  Just empathizing, as well as stating an unfortunate fact about one of the ways that Marriott's increases have negatively affected their loyalists.

I will try to get my enrollment switched to the Cat. 5 megabonus.  If I can't, the fact is that Marriott will lose at least some of my business anyway, because I have absolutely no incentive to participate in a program that awards Cat. 4 certs.  And maybe that's okay with Marriott.  I'm just saying...

erc Platinum

1) No, can't help, in same boat with water flowing in. If empathy is desired, take any of the articles to the right column, More Like This, and dig in.

2) Ranting is allowed, but not exclusive use. Travel ideas, savings, photos, room advice, transportation techniques etc etc pop up everyday.

Welcome aboard

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...