29 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2013 1:46 PM by kauairesident RSS

Is Marriott open to suggestions?

jerryhenry Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have been Platinum since 1985, with nearly 3,000 nights, so I know my way around Marriott have stayed extensively in the US, Europe, Asia, Africa and Central and South America – obviously I like them, but there are a few things that would make things better:

Reservations:

Let us know when the hotel was last remodeled – for me this is the number one criteria (cleanliness) and there is no way to know this without showing up, and also, give me a way to request a Concierge Lounge floor room

Rewards: 

I would like to see a higher threshold above Lifetime Platinum – despite my loyalty I get pretty much the same treatment as anyone else – rarely do I get a Concierge Lounge floor room – set up a 3000 night Lifetime status that actually has some tangible, new benefits

Hotels:

• For the love of Pete, put a Concierge Lounge in every Marriott/Renaissance/Gaylord/Autograph/Marriott Resorts/JW/Edition/AC, and keep them open on the weekend (maybe just for Platinum and above) – not doing so is easily the dumbest thing Marriott does – we developed our loyalty because of what we can consistently expect (an ironing board in every room for instance) don’t tear it apart with inconsistency – we are mostly men, and we like our routines, so on the rare occasion we bring our wives or family on a weekend don’t take the Concierge Lounge away
  • Shorten check-in time – years ago you had a system where our room key was presented at arrival – what has happened to that?  Lately we have to get through I guess 20 questions to get a key –
  • Give us a consistent workout room,  minimum standards for all Marriott/Renaissance/Gaylord/Autograph/Marriott Resorts/JW/Edition/AC to include treadmills with media, and free weights, I like steam saunas too
  • Cooler rooms – all year around – every room in the world is too hot and cannot be cooled because of either a central system or limits on how cool the air conditioning will go – also we would like to be able to open a window and get fresh air
  • Add humidification in the winter months -- and two bottles of water in the room please, always!

Restaurants:

• First get all the instant coffee (box coffee) and instant tea (fountain iced tea) out of every Marriott property – shame on you for that – getting a real cup of coffee in every property should be the easiest thing we do --- and make it available by 5:00 am  --
  • Open Concierge Lounges by 6:00 latest, not 6:30
  • If you want us to eat in your restaurants, and I never do, you must make it look, feel and probably-actually-be an independent restaurant loosely attached to the hotel – if you want us in your bars make them cool again, have bands, with female wait staff, make it the place to be

Housekeeping:
Over 30 years I have left hundreds of personal items behind, ties, shoes, etc. – never, not once, have I been contacted by Marriott to say they found it – it would be so easy for housekeeping to scoop these things up and ship them to us (on our cc) – would be a nice added value at no cost to Marriott

I like:

•   The new brands, new designed interiors as an alternative to the traditional classical Marriott
  • Attentive front desk staff
  • Consistently clean, quality

I hate:

• Keys that don’t work
  • Slow check-in
  • Hot stuffy rooms – need 62 degree capability
  • Pathetic restaurants and bars with no one in them

Message was edited by: jerryhenry -- added Housekeeping suggestion

• Re: Is Marriott open to suggestions?
    rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

My guess for the inconsistencies you described (and others) is that many Marriott hotels are privately owned franchises & the Marriott standards are being loosely held & monitored.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

They are good at listening to suggestions as long as it does not cost them any lost revenue!! Marriott Management have had many great suggestions here on Insiders and although they provide this forum that includes the ability to give suggestions, for the last several years I have not seen one of them implemented!!!  Marriott has lost focus on their most loyal customers but will pay a price in the long term!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You can find when the hotel was built and last renovated in the room detail when checking out the rates.  So that issue is not an issue.

Not getting the CL room, are they really that much different when you think about it?  I say no.  Other than a bottle of water which you can grab in the lounge and maybe not having to change floors to get to the CL I rarely find the rooms to much of an upgrade.

I agree as do most others on MI the CL need to be open on weekends for the time we do bring along a spouse or family, it adds a nice touch.  I think the only place I can remember having the lounge open on a weekend was either the Seattle Waterfront or it could have been the Portland City Center.

Dining, the only time I'd even consider eating in a hotel is if the weather was sooooo bad I didn't want to go out in it or nothing was within a five minute drive/walk.

The bar concern you raise IMHO just whining.  Is it really that important to have a full bar with female bartenders......if you want that you might try some other venue besides a hotel!!  I've seen some pretty packed bars with male bartenders making some killer drinks as well as female bartenders doing the exact same thing in Marriott Hotels.  Yes, I did read your review of the Houston Energy Corridor property however; there are some food options right over at HWY 6 which is less than a mile from the hotel.  Oh, and that hotel was built in 2010 making if fairly new.  I've stayed there a time or two and found the bar crowd to be lively and good numbers of folks.

Agreed, it would be nice to have faster check-in and attentive front desk staff at each hotel we stay.  I find some of these front desk folks to actually be less attentive and move even slower when they know someone is annoyed, that's when I grab the front desk manager and politely tell them what the issue is I have and we move onward.

As jasper eludes, they seem to have lost focus in a number of areas and that is a shame.  I for one an looking at other brands before booking a Marriott property and my nights are a few from a thousand lifetime, not three times that amount a as others have accumulated.

Bush Flyer --- thank you for the thoughtful response -- I will check those ‘details’ next time when  book in an unfamiliar place –

I guess you are right about my comments on the hotel bars; and I am generally not looking for more than a beer after a long day, but it is more inviting when there are a lot of people around.

My analysis was purposely oblique about how to fix it, but live music and friendly/interesting wait staff can help to make the scene (and men are fine of course as long as they aren't acting like women which is too often the case).

But on the Energy Corridor; except for local chain-type and low-end restaurants, I was directed each night 10 miles from the hotel to the closest good restaurant, and certainly there is nothing to walk to, no village; it is surrounded by interstate and car dealerships which is fine for a night’s sleep, but not a place to spend a little time.

Many thanks again -

Oh that Bush hurts.....it is always Intercontinental Airport Houston (IAH) even though the Bush is after George Herbert Walker Bush!

Did the hotel no direct you to Pasta Lomonte, an old family owned place and one of my favorite local joints even though I am way 45 miles from it'?  That or Lupe Tortilla is above average Mexican food and both at HWY 6.

No they didn't -- but sounds like they should have -- anyway, I  will go back to staying at the JW across from the Galleria -- I have been staying there for 20 years -- great restaraunts abound in the neighborhood -

Both Bush's looking pretty to good to me about now

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

OK..having lived in Houston three separate times during my career with Exxon, Lupe Tortillas is my favorite Mexican Restaurant in Houston...But if you get there too late, you will have a long wait to get ins!!!

We were sooooo happy about six years aog to finally get one up here in The Woodlands where we live....but you're so right, early or get your rita to go! 

Way too small a world, I see you are in the Lake Mary area, my brother-in-law just move into some condo on the lake and great places to dine around there as well I found.

Boy -- could not find 'Details' link when booking; just booked a number of west coast hotels

Try this link, I even selected probably one of your favorite properties:

https://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi

On the view rates page take the top rate of $259, read across and directly beneath the "King or 2 Queen" you should find "room details".

Click that and it will open a window and on the right side of the page beneath the hotel name you will see "Hotel Highlights":

Hope this is what you were seeking with property age and renovation date.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

IAH -- thanks for pointing out that feature/info on the renovation date, etc.  I've looked at the room details link hundreds of times and never noticed the built/renovated date there.  That's good info to know.

bchaloux Platinum

So they love us Platinum regulars during the week when we are traveling on business, want us to stay weekends to fill empty rooms, then essentially give us nothing, nothing other than 500 points or a bottle of water. No CL, no coffee, no paper, nothing in NYC (Marriott East). On weekends, let's face it--we are just another customer. Oh yes, free wifi. Big deal...I get that as well as coffee at the Starbucks a half block away.  Open up the CL and put a pot of coffee up there--is that such a huge cost. Next time I'll spend the weekend at the Doubletree on the same block, pay less for a better room and get a cookie.

Come on Marriott...show us a little something on weekends...

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Hard to tell Jerry since we are users of the product, and some might say, we are not the primary focus of their marketing strategy, jiust more frequent stayers.  Agree with others-- increased costs are generally not favored by the corporation no matter what the merit of an idea.

Excellent post BTW

Kind of like accountants are running things not hospitality pros -- notice no where in this thread or any comments has the word price been used -- give us the product/services we want, charge what you will!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Please dont malign the accountants, I am a card carrying CPA, and I am proud of that, and I have been a CFO and would never do what Marriott is doing, try blaming it on those MBA's who have little to no real world experience (apologies to those MBA's who do ahve real world experience)!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

JerryHenry: You post makes some great points, not to dissimilar from one I started about keeping the noise level up. IF Marriott management actually read what we, some of the most loyal Marriott rewards members took the time to write, they might be making different decisions. Michele and community manager have from time to time responded saying they raise these issue to senior management people, who either dont care or dont react. I have had this exact experience in the pre internet age with Starwood (then known as Sheraton), and for the last 15 years, they have received $0 of my business and since I have people who work for me and for which I can direct travel and where they stay, they have actually lost all of the revenue on those stays as well. 

Since Marriott management doesnt care what we think (as evidenced by the inaction and continuing deterioration if benefits), they are at risk from losing me and my colleagues, probably to Hyatt.

I personally spend over $100,000 per year on travel (air, hotel, rental cars, restaurants), domestic and International and direct another few hundred thousand of travel. SO, all in, if Marriott management wont listen, my dollars will be walking away drip by drip, and I will use my points up as they continue to get devalued, but nonetheless, they can and will be used.

I hope you find paradise in the bar and in the marriotts you stay at. You loyalty is admirable. Thanks for your excellent post.

Why thank you Stelzer!

Notice no where in this thread or any comments has the word price been used -- if they give us the product/services we want, they can charge what they want!

erc Platinum

Highlighting among ourselves Marriott's lack of sensitivity toward our loyalty provides an empathetic forum of sound logic and legitimate beefs; suggesting anything to Marriott these days, regardless of merit, seems to be an exercise in futility.

With April Fools just a couple of weeks off, I channeled Dave Barry (as in tongue in cheek) who sat inside a Marriott boardroom and observed Marriott executive's reaction to jerryhenry's   post (representative of many of our posts - so please, don't anyone get their knickers in a twist, besides I needed the therapeutic release). Here's what he heard (see how many responses you can recognize from this very forum);

Remodeling - see IAHFLYR  answer, it's on the infamous Marriott.com grid - enter at your own risk

Higher threshold - ask Platinum Premiers how that's working out for them - although we don't do tangible and new benefits, if you wish, you can join anadyr 's rare earth material club, Rhodium Rocks

Concierge Lounge in every property - this is the first we have heard of this, we'll take it under consideration, although like the Bogos, we're pretty sure few elites even know of these, much less use them

Shorten check-in time - this has some potential, we could get more revenue by checking in more guests, thank you

Consistent workout room - actually, we were thinking of removing them, so be grateful with what you've got

Cooler rooms - we've got Ian Schrager, what more could you ask for?

Two bottles of water - as Arhh-nold would say, "Haw, that's a good one"

Coffee - please see our coffee strategy as it relates to Courtyard, can you say Beeestro?
    CLs opening earlier - this makes too much sense to implement

Restaurants - we will have more walk in business, we're giving away free wi-fi in the lobby

The new brands - great, try some out and forget about all of the above

Attentive staff- yes, it comes from listening to the responses of our 20 question check in

Consistent, clean, quality - yes, we are. Senior would be proud of us.

Keys that don't work - our original keymaker stop making them, we're still working out the bugs, bear with us

Slow check in - it use to be fast, but then we had staff standing around, so we laid them off

Hot stuffy rooms - if you'd use our restaurants more, this wouldn't be an issue,besides our surveys show that most customers prefer stuffy rooms

Pathetic restaurants and empty bars- between free wi-fi and high priced coffee, this will soon trend in our direction

jasper - you've nailed us, but how does being right and sitting on a couple mill of devalued points make you feel?

stelzer001 - you are what we like to call a whale; we've lost many whales, see dejamo, jkernitzki, pingreeman et al.  Hey, have you guys seen our quarterly earnings results? Our cabal of hoteliers have a cozy arrangement (it started with roomkey.com); for every stelzer we lose to hyatt, we pick up a Shamu from Hilton.

ERC - if you whine once more about our misleading pricing, we are going to write a special software program that raises your rates $2 everytime you click (we're already making low rates disappear) - so watch it!

Ok gang, we greatly appreciate your efforts and loyalty and it was a pleasure interacting with you. We must now attend the opening of our 150th new Chinese hotel (can you say four million Chinese  rewards members?), but trust us, we take your input seriously. We sit on your suggestions for months and then proceed as policy dictates - hey, have we mentioned our quarterly earnings, whew, sweet! We are so very fortunate to have a customer base as loyal as you .

The Mgmt.

I took most of your post for what it's worth.  But, for me, I am most disgusted with the emphasis Marriott puts on places like China and the Arabian countries.  I don't get why we continue to do business with people who don't like us.

Hopefully to get some of their money -- we need it --

The Thursday before the Superbowl I was in the Baton Rouge Marriott, going down the elevator for a run, wearing shorts, sneakers, my only NE tee-shirt -- elevator stops, in walks -- yup, Bo Pelini

I hear you about the money.  I don't do business or anything else with countries that don't like me or mine.

BTW:  if you get BTN the red and white spring game will be televised this coming April.

ERC -- you are a piece of work -- very funny -- thanks!

superchief1 Platinum

I have come to the conclusion that Marriott is making the same mistake as many other international corporations: focusing on attracting new, young customers at the expense of current 'mature' loyal ones. They must not be paying attention to marketing research that shows that baby boomers account for almost 50% of total expenditures. Instead, they focus on the younger generations (example: turning Courtyard into Aloft). Their ad agencies, consultants, and marketing team members are more excited to pursue consumers they can relate to, but don't realize that we 'experienced' travelers are the opinion leaders for the novice business travelers. Regardless of age, most business travelers will be more attracted to quiet, reliable properties who value their customers. The comfort and quality of the rooms are more important than the public areas. We will pay a small premium for being respected. 

kauairesident Platinum 1 Reviews

If they won't open the lounges on weekend they could at least offer some incentives to use their dining facilities.  Some do but a very inconsistant policy.  At a very recent stay at Newport Beach, Fashion Island I was offered coupons for the breackfast buffet for both weekend mornings.

As a PP also had an upgrade to a suite with a fantastic view.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...