19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2013 12:55 AM by jerrycoin RSS

SLC, "The Golden Spike"!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The "Golden Spike National Historic Site" is a special experience.  If you enjoy American History, it is most interesting and educational to visit this site about 90 miles from Salt Lake City.

Volunteers have donated many hours to re-create the original locomotives and much of the surroundings of the site. 

The Visitor Center is very interesting and the staff is most cordial.  The history of this event changed America, and it was completed the same year at the Suez Canal.  Dedicated on May 10, 1869, and if you go, this is the best date to join the celebration!  Two events on that day involve the two locomotives and thousands of "History Buff's" have a great time!

A few things that came out of the tour:

Fresh WATER, had a lot to do with the route.  Brigham Young, had been promised the RR through Salt Lake City, but the RR's knew they could never get fresh water for the locomotives South of Salt Lake.  The enormous amounts of daily fresh water for the trains and crew, kept the RR North of the Salt Lake.

On 2,500 ties per mile, on gang could lay two pairs of 30 foot, 560 pound rails a minute.  Spikers drove 10 spikes per rail, three blows per spike!

They connected, after crossing 1776 miles of desert, rivers and mountains to bring the East and West together.

A wonderful experience, if you get the chance, and go in the Summer to see the event "Re-created" with the two locomotives!

IMG_3085.JPG

Take Exit 365 on I-15, and go 30 miles West!

IMG_3086.JPG

The scenery is desolate, that is a picture of Antelope Island, as you drive to PP!

IMG_3089.jpg

Hope you find this interesting!

IMG_3092.JPG

These trains are beautiful!

IMG_3094.JPG

Jupiter and the #119 are so special and memorable!

IMG_3097.JPG

You have to love and appreciate the "Irish" as we approach another St. Pat's Day!

IMG_3099.JPG

Looking East from The Golden Spike!

IMG_3100.JPG

Looking West to California, from the Golden Spike!

IMG_3104.JPG

Enjoy the scenic beauty of this isolated area.  The Salt Lake is visible before the Wasatch Mountains.!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Salt Lake City Airport
Park City, Utah, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Summit Watch
  • Re: SLC, "The Golden Spike"!
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Thanks for the great info & pictures Jerry!  One of the many places I'd like to visit one day!  Besides the historical element, I'm also sort of a rail buff! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kh,

You would enjoy the SLC area!

You could even take a train from California to SLC!  It would be a pretty ride, or Take the California Zephyr

from SF to Chicago if you have the time!

Jerrycoin,

That sounds like an excellent idea!  Cross country by rail is something I've always wanted to do!   

kh,

You will have a great way to see the "Mainland" of America!

I really think it will get better in time!  What a relaxing way to travel.

Jerry,

One can only hope!  I've heard some horror stories of long delays on Amtrak because freight traffic takes precedence.  But one day...  

kh,

Today, everything has a risk, but Amtrak, may be a way to relax and see the country!

curiousone Platinum

If you happen to have SPG points you can trade them for Amtrak points 1:1 for "free" rail travel.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I indeed found it quite interesting.  The completion of this must've been very exciting.  Imagine it's maiden voyage from coast to coast.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

Did you happen to stay at the MVCI Parks City?  Marriott is having a huge sale on MVCI rates during Apr/May.  (As a matter of fact, a stellar $84/night.  As a side, Bailly-Romainvilliers is a stellar 113€/night.)

pluto,

Yes, I stay at Marriott Summit Watch!

It is right on Main Street, and a wonderful property.  Am booked there for Halloween again this year.

Will be posting a review on Park City dining soon!

If you have any questions, please let me know.  BTW, it is about 1/4 the nightly price in the "Off Season"!

Location Brand Hotel
      Park City, Utah, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Summit Watch
        curiousone Platinum

Jerry:

My wife and I will be spending a week at Summit Watch this August. Can you recommend any restaurants?

CuriousOne

curiousone,

Yes!  (Will publish pictures and details this week-end, I am not at my computer, so I can't do pictures, yet!)

Will have more places with photo's again soon.  For memorable dining, and probable about $50 PP, including a glass of nice wine, you may want to consider one of these:

Deer Valley:

Stein Erickson Lodge, This is where the "Stars" stay and is very nice, but not stuffy.  Beautiful setting!

Goldener Hirsch, is Austrian, but don't let that bother you.  The staff is wonderful, and the food has a wonderful variety of game, seafood, veal and beef.  It was voted the best in the area, and is my favorite!

Southeast SLC:

La Caille, toward Snowbird, at Little Cottonwood Road.  This is one of the most famous places in the area, and is beautiful!

Downtown SLC,

The New Yorker, a short walk from Temple Square, or use their free lot!  Fine food, excellent service and very nice.

curiousone, they are two "Fresh Markets" nearby where you can get nice groceries, carry-out food, and snacks!

I did not have a bad meal at any of the fine locations on Main Street, but some of them are way overpriced, so look at a menu first!

Lastly, make sure you call and make a reservation at nice places, some of them are not open year round!

Good luck, and I will have pictures and more choices this week-end!

curiousone Platinum

Jerry:

If I remember correctly you did a previous post on SLC and I picked up the Market Street Grill and the New Yorker restaurants. We will be spending 1 night in SLC on our way back to Phoenix from Park City. Thanks for the Park City references.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Great story and pictures!

Adding this to my To Do list!

Rail travel is my preferred mode of land travel.

Am actually thinking of buying a rail pass which lets you travel the US & Canada by trail for a specific time period.  Unfortunately the prices of pass have gone up since I orginally started thinking about this

GP,

You may want to check out a "Local RR club"! 

The one here in STL owns their own "Pullman" car and it is pulled by AMTRAK, at really fair prices.  They then offer groups a chance to go STL to Chicago for around $200 PP for a week end of shopping.  You can stay right on the train, and it is a lot of fun.

We recently went STL to WDC and it was for one week, and only cost $600.  That was another great bargain, considering we were parked at The WDC train station and could walk to The Capital.

Have you ever taken the Acela?  That is something I have always wanted to do from NYC to WDC!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jerrycoin,

Excellent post and pictures!  I have driven through Utah a number of times and never had the time to stop and visit Promontory Point.  Your brief history rekindles my interest in going back to Utah.

gm1,

It's best to go in the Summer, and take along plenty of water and maybe some things to have a picnic with.  This place is desolate.

Also check and make sure it will be open.

Their normal times to be open are May-October for re-incactments, most of the people there are volunteers.  I could not "Stomach" it when the Ranger said they may have to close early this year because of "Sequester" cutbacks!  With only 6 people on the tour, I felt at that point like a "Mushroom"!  "Kept in the dark, and fed, you know what!"

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jerrycoin,

Thanks for the information.  It appears that Utah is a destination where there are opportunities to make use of the category 1-4 megabonus certificates.  I spend my summers in Colorado and going to the Golden Spike National Historic Site is a good excuse for a road trip.  I will definitely check into the re-enactment schedules and cross my fingers that the Historic Site is not shut down altogether.

gm1,

I don't think it will shut down!

Will now start a post on other sights you may enjoy, and fine dining places in the area.

This is a very "Family friendly" place and has some excellent values for the price!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...