7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2013 9:28 PM by anadyr RSS

Retaining Platinum Elite Status

ravin Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'm a member of Marriott rewards since 2004-2005 and have been a platinum or gold elite member since then. I understand that it takes 75 nights for platinum level.I checked that I stayed for more than 75 nights between Dec-2011 and Nov 2012...and was expecting to see my Platinum level renewed. I was disappointed to see the communication that I've been downgraded to Gold level instead of Platinum level because I stayed for 69 or 70 nights (don't remember exactly) in calendar 2012. I was not aware that the period for qualification start from Jan 1 - Dec 31. I thought it was rolling 12 months and not the calendar year. On that note...most of the folks in this forum would agree that its very difficult to time the business trips to meet the qualifying nights exactly within a calendar year, even though everybody including me genuinely tries to achieve the same.

I also have nights from 2011 that can be rolled over to 2012 to be counted for the status qualification. I hope MR customer service takes a note of this post and given its close to 75 nights, reaches out to me to let me know that my Platinum level is reinstated...

I saw quite a few posts that are related/on this same topic and looks like they have been able to retain their status. I'm not sure what is the best way to approach this with the MR customer service...any help suggestions is appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Retaining Platinum Elite Status
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

It is a calendar year -- most credit cards do the same thing.  Your expiration date as Platinum is different (likewise with the airlines) so that they can both catch up with getting you your new cards and also deciding whether or not to allow someone to keep status. You can probably buy back your status for 40,000 points if you want to.  I was downgraded to Gold (with fewer nights than you!) but decided since I am staying less frequently at Marriott and they are both offering fewer amenities and charging with higher categories for redemption that I will simply stay where I want.  Depending on what happens at my favorite hotel next week, the Athens Ledra, which has always gone over the top to treat me well, I may change my earnings to Delta miles instead. I only say the part with regard to the international hotel because of recent discussion of changes at the Paris CE hotel.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

For most yes it is a calendar year, but there are exceptions:   National/Alamo is 14 months (or longer depending on when the Elite status is reached), IHG is 2 years if there's a record of a stay, and Hilton is two years (at least it has been for me).  But calendar years are the norm.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

anadyr

2 years to make the nights needed to maintain status level?  how does that work?  if you need 60 nights for diamond, do you have two years to get those nights?  I must be missing something.

You drop one level in the second year, dorry should have clarified that.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

got it.  same as Marriott then.  everyone here seems to be saying they were dropped one level also when they didn't make it (after a 1 year freebie).

Every few years I have asked to be comped into Hilton and IHG, with success (most of the time)

Yes true that

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...