43 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2015 6:18 PM by clark3 RSS

London Dining Recommendations Please!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Will be in London for 1 night, and would like some dining recommendations!  I'm leaning towards trying a Ramsay restaurant, but am a little skeptical because of the bad press he's gotten lately..

Shopping and transportation tips would be appreciated as well!  We arrive at LHR at 2PM and depart the following day at 12PM.  Will be staying at the Renaissance at LHR.  Thanks! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
Paris La Defense Cedex, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel
Disneyland, France
  • Re: London Dining Recommendations Please!
    erc Platinum

kharada

This is what I've been using as my bible (under London Dining? 9/2/12 started by, who else, jerrycoin pages 1-7 then we took a wild drive up Mt. Washington!)

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/11047?start=0&tstart=0

then I used toptable to book places (uk version of opentable)

London Restaurants | toptable

for the hard to get reservations (like Ramsey's Petrus) I used the concierge service of the Visa premier card

Good luck

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974 Gold

you don't have much time, it probably depends on where you would want to be.

you can't go wrong with a place like petrus, which is close to knightsbridge tube. therefore an easy journey in on the piccadilly line.

from there it is very easy to get to Piccadilly, regent st. Leicester sq, Covent garden to name a few.

Actually re-thinking... Restaurant Gordon Ramsay is just a little more than Petrus and is a 3 Michelin Star location.  Any thoughts on which would be a better option? 

sg1974 Gold

I haven't been. But for your purpose the location is worse. It is quite a walk from sloane square station.

i can only judge from my experience but both me & my wife thought petrus should be 2 stars.

at these levels the quality is pretty similar. I enjoyed petrus more than ducasse that has 3 stars.

also the service in the restaurant was outstanding. The choice is yours.

Thanks sg1974! 

Thinking about changing hotel... maybe something in more central London.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

sg1974 Gold

This would depend on where you went for dinner.

If the option is Petrus then one of the Marriotts on Park Lane would be quite convenient.

For example: http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/travel/longh-grosvenor-house-a-jw-marriott-hotel/

Jerry could probably give some further information about the properties.

I notice that Jean Phillipe will be back on Hell's Kitchen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%27s_Kitchen_(U.S._season_11)

When we visited Petrus he was working there and the service was superb.

We had a good chat to him and met the head chef also, it was a memorable dining experience.

Thank you sg1974.  Would you recommend staying in central London for our scenario, or remaining at LHR Renaissance?  12PM noon departure flight departure time the following day. 

sg1974 Gold

It depends on what you prefer.

From my personal point of view I would probably stay at LHR property.

By doing this you can go to your restaurant of choice, then have a look around the shops and sights and catch a late tube back to the hotel.

Then the next morning the stress is reduced as you are already close to the airport. Wake up have breakfast and then head over to the terminal, no need to worry about if there are any issues with the tube / transport.

I prefer to be closer to the airport in case there are any issues.

I keep repeating to my wife about the importance of being at airports on time.

Recently she was driving her niece to the airport and there was an accident on the M4 (road to heathrow) and she missed her flight.

I think with that lesson she will be a bit more focused now about getting to airports on time!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sg1974,

This is great advice!

Did this recently in Munich, and stayed at the Kapinski Munich Airport prior to an early morning flight.  Had a great dinner, full breakfast and walked to my gate.  It doesn't get any better than that. 

Have booked the same thing for an early morning flight from Rome.  It just makes a lot of sense to arrive at the airport hotel the night before, have dinner, breakfast (Turn the rental car in, if need be) then go to your gate after checking bags!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry, sorry to take this off track for a minute, but can you recommend a good restaurant near the Munich Airport Marriott (or did you dine at the Kempinski)?  We'll get in around 5-6pm, and have decided to spend the night there so that we can begin our "road trip" fresh the next morning.

pluto,

I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at The Kempinski!  But do make a reservation, it is a nice place, and very busy.  I walked around the Munich airport, but could not find a place better that this hotel.

The wonderful breakfast was included in the price of the room and was very special.

Hope you enjoy!

sg1974,

That's an excellent point!  Thanks!  Knowing us, we should probably do that... 

Thanks for the info erc & sg1974! 

I completely missed that thread.  I decided to go with Petrus.  The Mrs. wants to try a Ramsay, and given its good location, it would be the best for our limited time there.  More time to explore the better!   

I actually just booked for Nov at 7:30PM no problem.  Completely forgot about the Visa premier concierge though!  I'll give um a try if I have any difficulties booking our Paris restaurants!

Thanks again!

kh,

This is an interesting "Challenge"!

One great meal, with limited time, in London!

I have not been to Petrus, and I hope it is not a "Big Deal not Worth it", as I have had too many meals at places like that.

However, I can recommend two places that have consistently been memorable and excellent, and they have a "Soul" when it comes to service!

Gordon Ramsay's,

68 Royal Hospital Road

London, SW3 4HP

tel: 020-7352-4441

www.gordonramsay.com

This place is the "Real deal" and the small location boasts "A friendly staff from all over the world"!

IMG_1399.JPG

Jean-Claude, is an "Ultimate", host at GR's!

You may want to email, or call him (Remember the time difference), explain you special situation and ask him to have you picked up at the hotel and returned after dinner.  They usually have contracted drivers that are way better and less expensive than London Taxi's!

PTDC0001.JPG

PTDC0002.JPG

KH,  here is the last dish I had at GR at is was very special.  He signed a menu for me, and I am sure that Jean-Claude would arrange one for you!  He would probably remember me, if so, please use my name!IMG_1712.jpg

As a "Back-up", consider The Ritz!

It is one of the most beautiful dining rooms in the world, and very comfortable with fantastic service!

Enjoy!

Location Brand Hotel
      London, United Kingdom

Jerry,

As always, thanks for the wonderful pictures and info!  I'm honestly having a hard time deciding whether which to go to, GR or Petrus.  As sg1974 has said, Petrus has a better location, which might be important.  In the short time that we have, I want to squeeze in as many sights as possible!  The plan is to check-in and dump the bags as the hotel, and head straight for central London for shopping and/or sightseeing, the off to dinner, more sightseeing if it isn't too late, then back to the hotel! 

This London stop is actually unplanned... we were originally supposed to go FCO - JFK, then hop across the US back home, but AA changed the flight time to an obscenely (for a vacation, in my opinion) departure time... add to that their new 777-300ER flying out of LHR and the decision was easy to change to an FCO-LHR-LAX-HNL flight!  But that gave us an overnight layover in London, so I want to try to maximize our time on the ground since my wife-to-be has never been there!  We'll definitely have to go back one day to get the full experience  

sg1974 Gold

The choices are simple really: you go to a restaurant like Gordon Ramsay and that will be it for the night.

or you go to another quality restaurant that will also be memorable but give you time for a bit of sightseeing as well.

i Don't think the 3 star restaurant really fits into your schedule this time as it would take up all your time also you would have to be more dressed up (tie & jacket).

as you said yourself you will be back & on that trip you can visit the Gordon Ramsay restaurant.

This is very true.  I currently have a reservation set at Petrus for 7:30PM, so we'll likely keep it there.  Even though Jerry's menu intrigues me more!  Lobster with laro??

Next time... haha

richard37075 Platinum

My wife and I will in London for 4 nights in May, and we thought that Maze Grill had a menu a bit more fitting to our tastes.  And compared to some of the other Gordon Ramsay restaurants, the menu was surprisingly affordable.  I'm sure it's not to the same service standard as Petrus and Gordon Ramsay, but you might want to check it out.  We have a reservation for lunch on Sunday when we arrive, but even at dinner the set menu has 2 options for 21£ or 3 options for 24 £. 

sg1974 Gold

I haven't been to maze grill but visited maze which was very good.

http://www.gordonramsay.com/maze/menus/

Another good option is pollen street social

http://www.pollenstreetsocial.com/menu/set-menu/

jason atherton was previously at maze.

Thanks sg1974!  My wife-to-be has her heart set on a Gordon Ramsay, so it'll have to be one of his restaurants.  Maze looks good, but the menu sounds somewhat like Pacific Rim cuisine!  Save for a few European ingredients/influences.  I'd prefer to experience more continental type cuisine

Thanks for the tip richard37075!  I'll look into it! 

richard37075 Platinum

No problem at all.  If we come across any other fantastic locations in May, we will certainly posts some reviews/suggestions on here at that time.

Not to steer the conversation away from London, but does anyone know where I can find good traditional French food in Paris at reasonable prices?  How about it jerrycoin

Dishes like Pate en Croute and Blanquette de Veau come to mind!  Jerry, I have your recommendation for sole meuniere noted

A great creperie recommendation would also be appreciated!

kh,

Your best "Crepes", you can find along Rue St. Germaine (Left Bank) just walking along the rue!  Very inexpensive and order them as you walk and enjoy this historic area.

Now if you want value, these two places are outstanding and one was voted the best value in all of Paris.  These two will provide you with great meals at under $20 PP.  Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to dine, as they are not "Fast Food"!

IMG_1641.JPG

KIF_0993.JPG

This "Colorful" place in Monmartre, was voted the "Best value in Paris".  Small, but very special!  Close to the "Dali" Museum!

This is the other place that is close to AdT, and across from Guy Savoy's (Guy's is very expensive) place.

IMG_2304.JPG

Very French, very good, inexpensive, and English friendly!  A short walk from The Renaissance AdT!

kh,  please let me know if you desire certain types of food, will have some suggestions on other places as well!

Location Brand Hotel
      Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel

Thanks for the great tips as always Jerry!  Good to know they're english friendly! 

By the way, have you ever tried Taillevent's brasserie?  I'm tempted by their old school French dishes and great praise, but their prices are mighty steep, especially since we plan on dining at La Tour d'Argent (on your recommendation of course!) and one of Guy Suvoy's cheaper (but certainly not cost effective) restaurants. 

kh,

Not that impressed with Taillevents (Will have picture later)!  It too is an easy walk from AdT!

Guy Savoy's would not be so expensive if I had not ordered "Black Truffle Soup", which is one of their specialties.  He actually came to our table and was really very nice. (Will have pictures of his place as well, I am not on my computer)

kh, do you like steak?  Don't forget Relias du Venice.  It is a short walk from AdT, (Actually across from the RER station a few blocks away)  This place is fun and not expensive, with very good steak.  (That is the only thing they serve!)

I can't remember, but where are you staying?  I am concerned if you are at The Marriott C-E, based upon recent reports!

Thanks Jerry! 

I'm actually going to be at the Ren. La Defense, but we'll likely be trekking into Paris every day anyhow

kh,

That is one of my favorite places to stay in Paris!  It is really nice, especially on Week-ends!  It is also a very good value.

Try to get a corner room on the 10th floor.

You can save yourself a lot of money if you get the rail pass at CDG, and take the RER (One stop/change).

You will be able to easily take the RER/Metro to Versailles, The Louvre, Euro Disney, and a whole lot more!

They should give you coupons to use at the very nice California Grill for a Buffet Breakfast.

If you can, go back and see pictures of this location, and what others and I have had to say about our stays, as well as Paris in general!

You are in for a great time!

Location Brand Hotel
              Paris La Defense Cedex, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel

Thanks Jerry!

I actually talked to the GM, and they set us up with a Jr. Suite!  Not too sure what kind of room that actually is, but I'll take it!   

Do you have any dining recommendations for the general area?  Lunch & dinner.  I know there's a big mall with a few options nearby. 

kh,

If the weather is bad, or you are tired, dining at the hotel is excellent.

Go next door to The huge mall to buy wine!  Bottles will be much cheaper than glasses at the hotel!

There is a nice "Food Court" for snacks or light meals.

You will want to take advantage of The Metro to dine, and that is what I tended to do.

You are maybe 15 minutes away from great spots!  The yellow line ends at la Defense, so you can't get lost!

Will have more for you later!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

We had a corner suite with a view of the arch and it was very, very nice.  There was a living area with sofa and chair, a desk, and two bathrooms.  The staff at this hotel was amazing from the front desk to the concierge, room service and housekeeping.  Top notch.  We spent time in the Colonial Bar one late afternoon and dined in the Brasserie Renaissance restaurant on site as well.  The food and service was excellent in both venues.

pluto,

That was like my experiences at La Defense as well!

It is especially nice for people who don't travel a lot, and want comfort, but are comfortable with a small commute!

Thanks pluto77 & jerry!  That's really good to know! 

kh,

You are so welcome!

You will enjoy taking the Metro to "Town"!

You need to let us know what places you desire to visit, so we can help with directions!

Louvre, Monmartre, Versailles, Normandy, Pigalle, Moulin Rouge?

You name it and someone here will "Cover you"!

Jerry,

Thank you!  We'll probably hit a couple of sites, but what's equally as important (or even more important) is culinary experiences and just enjoying Paris!   

We have 5 nights, arriving at 9AM the first day and leaving for our stay at Disney Paris early in the morning on the last day.  Any suggestions? 

kh,

Yes,

Let me keep Paris in on category, and concentrate on Euro-Disney:

A small town that was recommended to me close to Euro-Disney (I can't recall the name tonight was wonderful)  Here are some photo's of this wonderful and inexpensive place to dine:

FH050033.jpg

This was a very nice place, and priced very reasonable.  Just a few miles from Euro-Disney.

FH050034.jpg

This place is across the street and a wonderful place for pastry!

kh, enjoy (I will get the name of the town to you when I get to my maps)

Location Brand Hotel
                            Disneyland, France

Thanks Jerry! 

When In Disney, we'll probably just stay in property, but that town is intriguing... Perhaps we should venture out a little, but we just have 2 nights there, with an early AM departure on day 3. 

Any suggestions/must do's for a leisurely Paris trip with given out time frame?   

kh,

You can take the train into Paris very easily.  it is about a 30 minute ride on a great train!

IMG_0553.JPG

These double decker trains are very nice!

clark3 Platinum

Recently got back from Europe, stayed at St Pancras Renaissance for 4 nights  besides an excellent CL, we dined at Maze (it was small plate, good but not blow away) and The Delaunay (pretheatre to see Gypsy at the Savoy)--this place reminded to a small degree of places in Vienna.  The concierge at the Renaissance was very helpful getting reservations, tickets etc.--clark3

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...