3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2013 11:21 PM by nhtraveler RSS

Devoted to our cars?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This article reminds me of cars past, not necessarily my first, with which I bonded (or used Bondo on) over time and hated to part with.  

I previously mentioned my 1963 Ford Galaxie convertible that lost to a big rig on the PA Turnpike (I have photos somewhere just can't find them), and it was a special car, almost a member of my circle of friends and family too.

Any special vehicles in your past?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Devoted to our cars?
    pevers Platinum 2 Reviews

My first car was a 1963 Volvo 122S that I bought used after high school graduation. I loved that creature.

Like most Volvos of the era, it had a long truck like direct linkage shifter, a heavy duty spring clutch, dual carburetors which would be out of alignment within minutes after being tuned,  But the car was a fun drive - at least for me. Given the size of the area under the hood, every part of the 1.8 litre engine was easily accessible, allowing a poor college student the ability to learn how to fix most things.Though it used premium gas, the fuel cost was affordable - another plus for an impoverished student.

A couple of years ago, I almost bought a toy, a 1965 122S, but wiser heads prevailed - that an a couple of kids in college.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

My Dad loved his boxlike Volvo a lot, and the finish never faded even in the Florida sun.  He did have a lot of mechanical problems though and went through two clutches while he had it!

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Yes, 1963 was a good year for cars. My first car was my parent's 1963 Buick LeSabre - what a car -- 401 cubic inch engine and a Dynaflow transmission. I recently saw one for sale, and, after sitting in it, couldn't believe what a long hood it had! I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and didn't purchase it. It led to my life-long appreciation of Buicks - I'm now on my 6th! I almost bought a supercharged Riviera from the 1990's  as a "toy" but after reading that they do better on premium gas, decided against it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...