33 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2013 4:43 PM by GemPrincess RSS

How do you Track your Flite Status for Departures?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Since I have a flite out tonight, and it is snowing heavily, I was wondering if it will be delayed or canceled, and want to know before leaving for the airport. Even though the airline says they are posting status, there doesn't seem to be much available.

Looking at websites, I found one called FLIGHTSTATS with realtime status for all airlines and all airports, and it seems to have alot of good information, though I do not know how current it really is.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do

What do you use to track departure flites and plan for a timely trip to the airport?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How do you Track your Flite Status for Departures?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Gem

good question.  I am anxious to hear of any ideas here.  The status I receive from AA via email is almost always 'on time', and only reports delays too late to help.  I think this a planed to avoid flyers changing airlines when given information on delays soon enough to affect a change.  That may be cynical, maybe not.  Mainly what I do is call the airline and speak to someone.  I ask where the plane I will be on is coming from, where it is presently, and sometimes, where it is going after it get's me to my destination.  I can then access whether or not this flight is important enough to the airline as it positions its aircraft inventory.  This may all seem pretty anal to some, but that's what I do. 

good luck today.  where are you flying out of?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

EWR this evening

Will take your suggestion of calling around lunch time to see what is happening.

Thus far I used the FLIGHTSTATUS website to track what has happened earlier in the day.  Thus far it looks like everything to Chicago and Philadelphia is canceled, and lots of delays ranging from 30-150 minutes. Flitghts to some of the smaller airports (Albany, Burlington, Dayton, Richmond, Norfolk) seem to have more cancellations, and some are delayed (Columbus, Cinncinati, Kansas)

All-in-all not a good day to be flying out of the east coast

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Morning GP,

I always use the airlines website and select the flight status tab or icon.  I am a United FF and use their flight status information all the time.

A word of CAUTION, relying on the flight status of a delayed flight could bite you if you wait too long for your timely trip to the airport.  True story, last spring we were to take a flight and it was showing delaying due to a late arriving aircraft.  I started to keep track of that flight to see just how late it was actually going to be so we could plan our trip to the airport in a timely fashion.  Having worked in the aviation industry and having a huge HUB for the airline we were flying in our city I knew they could swap aircraft and our delayed flight would be not so delayed, so we went to the airport and caught a bite to eat.  While sitting at the table looking over the ramp and runway we got an email advising of a gate change for the departure.  I went to the airline app on my phone to check the status of our flight and guess what, a different airplane, different gate and now showing an on time departure.  Had we been driving to the airport we'd have missed the flight, so it is a take your best chances if your airline has HUB operations at your departure point.

Let us know how it turns out and have a safe and wonderful trip.

IAHFLYR

Good advice!

Was just trying to decide whether I go to the airport and do this, or continue working and then go to the airport.

I don't mind waiting at the airport, but am trying to avoid a cancellation, as I either have to take the train home, or stay at the airport.

You can use this link to keep updated on the delays at specific airports for reference and the status of an airport such as if it was to close.  Even though it shows EWR with decreasing departure delays that at times only tells part of the story, as flights are canceled the delays will decrease.

Flight Delay Information - Air Traffic Control System Command Center

Wish there was more help to give you.  I know United will attempt to get flights to key destinations out to avoid canceling, places like their other HUBS, some high yield international destinations as well, so keep your fingers crossed.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Iahflyr and GemPrincess,

Is this mostly a north-northeast most often weather related problem?  I'm not a FF and as such only fly about 6 times/year.  In CA the weather is almost always good and flights are nearly always on time, or off by 15-30 minutes and time made up in the air.  I avoid flying to cold and snowy places in the winter (except SFO to FRA, NUE or ZRH non-stop, which has happily never been a problem) and I avoid airports that have notoriously bad on time records, like ORD.  I am therefore fortunate that I've never felt or had the need to track flights, so I've naught to offer.  Someday I'll probably get burned and it will suddenly matter, so I am at least paying attention.

pluto,

GP issue is the weather in the northeast today is horrible, nothing you'd know about out in lovely CA!!

For me, when I'm flying I want to know the status of the flight being I am using United.  Also I will use the flight status when making connecting flights at one of their HUBS just to make sure we don't spend too much time in the club.  I'm also looking at the aircraft to see if it has changed where there may have been DirecTV but they changed to another and this has no TV nor power in the seats if a long flight to keep the laptop of phone charged.

Pluto,

Living on the east coast (now NYC, previously WDC & BOW), and originally from the midwest (DTW), I am realy not able to avoid cold or snowy

Consider yourself lucky if your flite delays are 15-30 minutes made up by inflite time, as this never happens in the NYC airspace where flite are slotted in priority order - 2 for JFK, 1 for LGA, 1 for EWR, 1 for PHL.  Whenever there is a blip, be it weather, traffic, security, it just ripples through all these airports (and probably to any of the destination airports for these 4).

This is just a fact of life, living on the east coast, and was even worse when I lived in Boston as there are the Summer Nor'easters with rain and flooding, and the Winter Nor'easters with snow and flooding.

Only other really bad place to fly in/out of is surprising Indianapolis.  I had more flite cancellations due to thunderstorms and winds than any other airport in my 1 year of travel there.

IAHFLYR

Awesome Link!

Very helpful.

Seems my flite has been cancelled though the airline did not send an email about this.

When I check my reservation, which I normally would not do as I have already printed the boarding pass, it does say CANCELLED, but this was never communicated to me by the airline.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

It is a very helpful link!

Sorry to hear of the cancellation.  Did they book you on another flight tomorrow or is that too late?

Glad you found the link helpful.  There are a few more that track flights such as Flightaware, but from time to time they have errors.

http://flightaware.com/

Then there is Flightradar24 which is just about the same, I've toyed around on flightaware much more so can't offer any advice on this one.

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

IAHFLYR

Even the cancellation I can deal with, if I am not at the airport, and then need to try to find somewhere to stay along with the hordes of people there (2,000 on the phone in queue for the refund, and who knows how many others trying to rebook)

The only flite with availability (checking today and tomorrow) is at 2:30 today, and only a waitlist.  I don't think in this weather I could get there even if I tried, and even then I probably will not get out.

Just rescheduling to next weekend.

Just had the ticket refunded.  Took 30 minutes on the phone.

In times like this the only possibilty of rebooking is to be the 1st one calling in to the platinum line.

Nothing else works.

You couldn't rebook or refund on the airline website?  I haven't talked with any airline on the phone in over a year I don't believe, done all my cancelling or changing of flights online, refund online and submit customer satifaction or lack of online.

I tried rebooking, but searching today there was only the 2:30pm standby, and nothing else for today, Sat or Sun.

So, then I tried to do refund, but the entire screen locked on me after entering the ticket number....Maybe the system is overloaded???

Finally I just called.

Turns out the ticket refund is done one way (with ticket number), and the premium seats another (receipt number).

So maybe this locked the system as I was trying to process both against the ticket number....who knew it was so complicated!

Whoops, I missed these 2 sites in reading through the thread.

Am moving them down to the last email so we have a nice listing of websites of non-airline sources of flite status.

gem

where are you heading?  Regarding EWR, it seems that this airport runs better than LGA oftentimes.

shoeman1000

Traveling back to MI for my Dad's b-day which unfortunately I will now have to miss.  Well I guess I can extend the celebration by showing up next week instead after everyone else has left.

EWR is one of the toughest airports in the NYC area to deal with, as it has the lowest priority in the NYC air traffic after Kennedy's 2 slots and LGA's 1 slot though they are the most convenient for me in ground transporation as I can get to NJT from home or office easily.  I can do LGA or JFK by transferring to the LIRR and using their air links, but it adds alot of commute time on.  Or I can PHL by transferring from NJT to SEP.

Prior to living here, I use to fly in on a weekly basis for many years.  The minute a weather system moved in the entire team (many from CA, UK and South Africa) was immediately online checking which airports were still up and running, hence which one we would use.  A couple of times as we watched them close - JFK, then LGA, then EWR, and we need to be at a midwest client, we would just start driving west, figuring we would drive if we had, and try the airports along the way.  We ended up flying out of Pittsburgh once, and you should have seen the drop charge on the car.  I think it was about $700+

After seeing your comment on EWR being last in the NYC area airport for priority thought you might find this link interesting:

TMU: Traffic Management Resources | VATSIM NYARTCC

They have all the major airports listed with different arrival/departure rates by runway and impacts of other airports in the area.  Not sure if it would be of any use other than geewhiz stuff but there is a plethora of information on that site to look over so who knows what you might find if you dig some.

IAHFLYR

Very impressive site!

I think the 4 sites you have recommended are probably the most useful sites I have ever seen for commercial air flites!

Flight Delay Information - Air Traffic Control System Command Center

TMU: Traffic Management Resources | VATSIM NYARTCC

http://flightaware.com/

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

Booking marking them for future use, along with the one I discovered today, till I figure out how to best make use of them.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do

Excellent...glad to help.  I actually still find the UA flight status if you're using any UA flight to be spot on, even with diversions and such.  The data is transferred directly from the airplane computers, so when the door is closed it shows it's left the gate taxing to runwy, the moment it is airborne if you check it almost immediately afterwards you get the flight is in the air with an updated arrival time and that is updated constantly based upon the route of flight the pilots load in their flight management computer, and it is good for all UA flights and UA Express flights.  When you select "where is this flight currently" it will bring up a map including weather to show you the location however; the exact location is delayed slightly as it is on other sites for security purposes.

United Airlines

When you select "where is this flight currently" it will bring up a map including weather to show you the location however; the exact location is delayed slightly as it is on other sites for security purposes.

United Airlines

Actually the UA status was correct, but only visible in my reservation which normall I don't look at after printing boarding passes the day before.

I did not receive an email even though I have signed up for email notifications, nor was the cancellation listed on the FLIGHTSTATUS website.  They seemed pretty good about what has already happened, and the current hour, but there were no updates for flites later in the day.  I think they may be more of a retrospective analysis of history by calculating ontime ratings, etc.

I am wondering if I have signed up correctly for notification?

Gem

sorry about you missing your fathers b-day.... 

Thanx shoeman1000

I just had to give him the bad news with promises of next weekend.

I will miss the dinner, but will take him out to one of his favorite restaurants, so he gets to have 2 bday celebrations this way!

shawndavis859 Platinum 5 Reviews

I use a smartphone app called FlightAware. As mentioned previously, I have seen it have errors, but recently its been very solid.

Once you enter your flight info, you can get status. But, even more importantly, you can hit the "Track inbound flights" button and it will tell you where your actual aircraft is and what its status is.

For example, I was taking Delta 990 from mco to cvg. checking the inbound flights, I can see that the aircraft is currently flight 1158 enroute from slc to mco and where it is in that flight.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi all,

I hate Smartphones and sold my Samsung Galaxy back because my arthritic hands can't take it. So I always take my netbook with me to the airport. Most of the time I fly from Boston, 4 hours from where I live.  The day before I sign up for Delta's travel alerts for each flight AND I check the site for the previous day's flights (since my flights go to Europe and most of them return there) the day of the flight before I head to Boston.  Once in Boston, I go to the SkyClub (THE major benefit of the Amex Reserve Skymiles card since it is practically the same annual fee as a SkyClub membership) and check with the agents.  Most of them know me by now.  Often what is posted on the boards does not reflect real time changes, so I often also call my Elite line for updates.  If it looks like things are getting weird, I go back to the SkyClub agent and ask for the real info.  This helped enormously over a year ago when I was scheduled to travel to Toulouse for fall break (only a 5 day trip).  The flight kept getting put further and further back, so at 10pm I went to my most trusted agent and asked her what the deal was. She made a few calls and said there was a possibility for leaving after midnight (but then I would have missed my connections in Amsterdam) but added that what she heard from the crew was that the flight was going to be cancelled.  (It was -- 3 hours later.)  But what that did was give me time to get back on a bus from Boston then drive from Portland to Waterville and actually get a few hours sleep.  Before she told me that she checked to see if she could get me on any other connections on other airlines that could get me to Toulouse -- and the earliest would have been 2 days before I would have had to return. I was given a full refund because the plane was broken.

So use ALL methods at your disposal, and usually the human (though not the gate variety) ones are the best and most reliable.

ProfChiara

I also have a Samsung, the Convoy!

Got rid of my blackberry as it was too difficult to operate.

Had to get out my magnifying glass to see the little keys and type.

Nor did I like the $80/mon phone bill.

Now I pay $20/month, and the extra $720 can go towards traveling.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...