5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 12:25 PM by californian Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Be careful on car rental pricing too.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Pick up at Fort Meyers airport on Apr 1 5pm and drop off at Mobile on Apr 27 at 5pm - cost $3090.06  (I had a reservation made a long time ago for $977.40)

Pick up at Fort Meyers airport on Apr 1 at 5pm and drop off at Orlando Airport at 5pm - cost $138.26

and while there pick up car and drop off at Mobile on Apr 27 at 5pm  - cost $451.04

Totaling $589.30.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS PRICE DIFFERENCE.  $589.30 vs $3090.06

For this saving, I will take the time to return and pick up at the Orlando airport.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Be careful on car rental pricing too.
    7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Just out of curiosity, how did you figure that out? I'll be renting a car on the west coast (Seattle to San Francisco) in September, so I might need to try looking for something similar.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I was picking up at pt A and driving to pt B and then to pt C to drop off.  I wanted to pick up at A and drop off at C but the cost was over $2000 more.  Since, I was going to be in Orlando anyway, and not wanting to pay that, I played around with returning and picking up in Orlando and got lucky.  It means taking time to drive to the airport and paying the tolls but for over $2000 in savings, I will do it.  Just like people are playing around with Marriott prices by adding days and deleting some too.

You could play around with dropping off at Portland and picking up there.  I assume that many do one ways between those cities.  I am doing a 2 day rental from Seattle and dropping off in Portland for about $100 this summer.

They make us work for better deals.  Good luck.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

cali -- I completely agree that rental car prices are more volatile and unpredictable and subject to change more than any other aspect of travel.  I'm glad you persisted and got a much better rate.  much, much better!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hey california, it is Ft. Myers!   Great tip to check different locations.  Did you try Tampa or even an off airport site in the northern Orlando area (past Disney).  Where are you staying in the Ft. Myers area?

In the FWIW department, I have picked a car in Ft. Myers and then driving to Orlando to see family thus dropping it off at MCO, the rate was like $300 more than if I had taken it back to Ft. Myers, yet the airline ticket leaving from Orlando made up that difference, never mind the three hour BORING drive from Ft. Myers to Orlando.

I just checked for an Orlando pickup on Apr 1 and drop off in Mobile on Apr 27 and the price was $2255.74 better than $3090 but not as good as I got.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links