22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2013 12:07 PM by musictomyears RSS

Renaissance Dallas -- North Stemmons Freeway

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We're making a weekend trip soon to Dallas and were planning to stay at this hotel as we have several times before.  I noticed on the hotel website that there is no longer any complimentary parking so I called the hotel.  According to the front desk clerk, they are doing a huge ball room addition which is taking up a big chunk of the parking lot, consequently all of the parking now is valet for $22/day.  I could live with that, but then I asked if they still offer breakfast coupons on weekend for platinum.  They no longer do that.  So, it's back to the drawing board for another hotel.  Too bad...this hotel has always treated me well, and was definitely in my top five.  And so it goes.......

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dallas, Texas, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Dallas Hotel
  • Re: Renaissance Dallas -- North Stemmons Freeway
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

And so it goes... Hearing more and more of these stories.  Did my whining, as you know.  Time to take a deep breath and adapt.  I'm only still smiling because I'm still traveling, and although Marriott (and others) may no longer be smiling down upon me with that "You're special to us" smile, The Big G up there still is, so it's all good.  I hope that there are still some remaining old school treasures out there, and that you find one of them.  (Similar story was told on another thread here today about no more free hot buffet breakfasts at the Marriott C-E.  Change has come.) 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We decided to stay at the Marriott Suites Market Center which is right across the street from the Renaissance.  No charge for parking and we'll cross the breakfast bridge when we get there.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Husker

I was going to recommend the Marriott Suites.  I've stayed there before and it's ok.  It's a zoo when there is a Market going on, so you might check on that.  Are you using points?  Are you visiting your daughter?  do you need to be downtown?  The reason I ask is that the Marriott in Plano at Legacy really treats me well.  It's pricey, but not bad on points....  It's just waaaaaay out north.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

HI Husker!

WE have stayed at the Renaissance in Richardson many times, and it is a fantastic hotel. Every single time we have requested a suite, they have happily accommodated us, as platinum members. They have a beautiful indoor pool with Jacuzzi, and a very nice Conceirge lounge, with food into the night and great employees. It is about a 20 minute drive to downtown Dallas, but the dart train stops right at the hotel if you don't want to drive. I don't know what your plans are, but the Eismann center is next door, and they have shows of all kinds coming through all of the time. I am pretty sure the parking is free.

OTherwise, the Renaissance in Dallas looks very nice, too. My kids love it's sleek architecture whenever we drive by it...my three year old can identify it!   but I have never stayed there, so I cannot comment on it.

GOod luck in your search, and enjoy your time in Dallas!

Lakeshore

Hey lakeshore -- thanks for that recommendation, but we wanted to be close to Love Field.  We've always had a great time visiting Dallas.  Thanks.

Hey shoeman, visiting son whose wife is going to have grandchild number two this coming week.  We wanted to be somewhat close to Love Field.  I will keep the Plano Marriott on the radar for future reference.  Thanks.

Forgot to add, we did stay at tthe Marriott Market hotel a few years ago and it worked for us.

What kind of market do they have in that area?  The farmers market is downtown by I-30, right?

Shoeman, scratch that last comment of mine.  My wife looked at the Plano marriott website and that's where we're staying.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Can I mention your name at check-in?

You will love the area.  You can walk to a slew of restaurants, if you would like, I could recommend some.  the weather should be great also.  Mentioning me name will not help, but you may get lucky nonetheless.  I lived about a mile from there went to that area for dinner quite a bit.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Allow me to convey an early congratulations to you, Grandma and Grandpa Nuhusker.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

YEs, congratulations to you and your family! What a joyful occasion to be traveling!

thank you very much.  we now have one grandson and one granddaughter.  The third one is due in Sept.  Busy year.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

They're having a lot of specials in the D-FW area right now.

Lines were drawn through the regular rates on the left in the e-mail, but nearly everything in the D-FW area was on special, even the Worthington in FW was only $159 / night if available.

Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria

14901 Dallas Parkway
        Dallas, TX 75254
        $109 / night

$87 / night

Dallas Marriott Suites Market Center

2493 North Stemmons Freeway
        Dallas, TX 75207
        $99 / night

$79 / night

Dallas/Plano Marriott at Legacy Town Center

7121 Bishop Road
        Plano, TX 75024
        $129 / night

$103 / night

Market Hall is the one across from the Renaissance on Stemmons and across the highway from the Marriott Market Hall Suites.  Mostly, it's for clothes designers to show to wholesale dealers, I think, but maybe other things.

I like the U-turn lanes that you can turn into without going to the lights and waiting at a lot of the interstate intersections in Dallas.  Other places have them, too, of course, but not all cities.

There's a Denny's (if you like Denny's) a few blocks north of Market Hall and to the right that we like to zip to when staying in that area and they have the 20% discount from 4 - 10 p.m. with AARP card.   

eb-- thanks for that info.  I didn't get that email I don't guess, but maybe I'm not signed up to get those.  Who knows?? But those are some great rates.  It was very disappointing to learn that the Renaissance no longer offers breakfast coupons on weekends for platinum members.  I do remember it now that you've described the Market Hall.  Pretty much just across the parking lot to the north of the Renaissance.  I have eaten at Denny's occasionally...not very many in the midwest, at least in my area.  As for AARP, well I ditched them a couple of years ago and joined Generation America.

Do they have discounts, too.  I'm against what AARP stands for any more and the fact that they have so much strength just by talking for us.  The rates have really gone up from what they used to be, too, but my husband's company bought the memberships for all their older employees last year.  It's time for renewal and we're still contemplating what to do about it.

I hadn't heard of Gen. America.

Don't know about the discounts...I use AAA when on pleasure trips and government when traveling for business. 

you have the Market Hall where clothing, shoes, and the like are shown.  several companies have permanent showrooms there and it is a zoo when it's Market Week.  Then, there is the other trade center where hard lines, furniture, jewelry, etc are housed.  It also is crazy during their Market weeks.  In my other life, I spent a lot of time in the Market center in my permanent showroom......  those were the go-go days of Dallas and the entire Southwest.   Oil Boom days......in the 70 and 80's

Husker

free parking is available, either on the street in front of the hotel, or in a lot on the back side of the hotel.

One thing to be aware of is that the CS  doesn't always reflect what's really going on at the site. 

I've been told that the CY we stay at has no breakfast for the corp. rate we get, but then at the site, they do have it.  I've been told the lowest rate was something higher than was in the travel coupon books, but got the coupon rate when I got there without booking through reservations.  Sometimes, you just have to check with the hotels.

I've gotten better long-term stay rates through the hotel mgr. than I could have gotten through reservations.

I've gotten parking fees taken off at the hotel when the reservations added them automatically, not knowing that the city parking lot is usually free after 5 p.m. Fridays until 8 a.m. Monday.  They just can't have all the particulars.

Congratulations on the happy occasions.

musictomyears Platinum 6 Reviews

Love the location for shopping, eating and site seeing.  This a unique Marriott but we always enjoyed the breakfast buffet, the beds are crisp and clean, pool is on top of the roof, the work out area is also up on the top floor.

As Platinum Reward Members, we always received a free upgrade to a suite, if it was available.  So much to see and do in this area!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...