2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 12:14 PM by anadyr RSS

Kindness 2.0: turning the other cheek.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I posted this a while ago, before I left Insiders but it speaks to kindness and forgiveness as well.

Some years ago I met a former adversary, a retired KGB general, who was then en route to becoming a US citizen.  We were hired as instructors by a government agency to work with new recruits.  As I shook his hand for the first time, he said, "Roger, nice to see you again!"  Of course we had never met before so it was a Russian joke of sorts.  No one laughed, He and I have become good friends over the years. We seldom discuss the "good old days," since there were none.

I and others wrote letters to the State Department to prevent the deportation of his lovely wife, then dealing with cancer, to Russia where she would be a "guest" of the prison system since in a twist of fate, he was declared a traitor to mother Russia!

I could have refused and he himself never asked for help, being a stoic and proud man.  I did it for his wife and for him.  She died in the US, not in her homeland.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Kindness 2.0: turning the other cheek.
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Hmmm.  My ex-husband behaved dispicably toward me long ago and for many years.  He was also dispicable towards our daughters and allowed his wife to really do a number on them.  I am not alone in this assessment.  Now he's out of work and unhappily married.  Recently I've found myself surreptitiously trying to help him find employment.  I figure everyone needs a job, and he's my daughters father.  I still occasionally feel mad about it all.  Not where I'm concerned, but insofar as what my girls had to suffer.  So I don't know if that's forgiveness or not.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Kindness 2.0: turning the other cheek.
      Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I'd say it's just doing the right thing, Pluto, and good for you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...