7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 3:35 PM by californian RSS

Delta Frequent Flyer Program

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

great article in USA Today regarding Delta's FF Program.   In another form of DEVALUATION, the writer found that virtually none of the random flights checked had ANY seats available at the lowest price (25,000 miles).  Many needed 40k or even 50k for the cheapest award.  One interesting quote (or lack thereof) was when Delta was asked if, in fact, every flight initially has at least ONE seat available at the lowest award level.  Delta spokesman refused to answer.............

It's an interesting article, give it a read if you have the chance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Delta Frequent Flyer Program
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

similar problem with US air tough to find the cheaper points tickets. That is how they still show lower point options but unless you want to fly in January tough to get

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

shoe:

It was a good read. I don't fly Delta anymore because (even though I had elite status) there was always a problem booking award tix AND never could get an upgrade on a paid flight (their 'upgrade' list always has about 30 names on it).

So, I switched to USAir a couple of years ago. Last year, I always got upgraded (even to Aruba). But now with the merger with American...I am sure the upgrade list and the award usage will become more like Delta .

Seems as though everyone is going the same devaluation route in one form or another.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Part of the problem rest with the airlines offering points

for everything which of course they get paid for by vendors. At some point a hotel chain and an airline will step out of the pack and offer far better loyalty benefits. People will change to that option. I read that article  on Delta and many were angry just as we have now on this site . Everyone looking for a better alternative . What's tough if you want a hotel chain that has a lot of hotels and an airline that flys  to a lot of places the choices are getting fewer. I think as an example Capitol One stepped out with a different approach and I bet  someone will in the hotel business

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I have a Delta American Express card and one of the really cool benefits is that you can pay part miles and part credit card.  I can cash in 10,000 miles and take $100 off the fare or use even more miles to lower the ticket price.  Here is a link to the Pay with Miles option:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/use-miles/pay-with-miles.html

Using the Pay with Miles option I don't really see a devaulation.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Shoeman,

Thanks for pointing this out!

Read the story, and it is a sad one.

I will say that Delta has been good to me and recently worked with AMEX to get me a very good Business Class deal to Rome.

These days, I must confess, it is difficult to really know what a "Good deal" is!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

You nailed it!  Just as Hotels have 'rack' rates that no one pays, Airlines have so many different rates for the same plane going to the same place, using the same airspace, that it is impossible to know if you got a good deal or not.  In the end, if you like your seat, and the $$ amount seems fair, then you got a good deal.  Otherwise, we can drive ourselves nuts looking for the 'ultimate' rate........

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

At one time I had status with Delta.  That was a while ago and now I have 22 miles left.  Delta has had the reputation for having the stingiest FF program in the business and I don't find this anything new.  A while back, I meet a 100K Delta man in Hawaii who told me that he had been trying to get seats for his family to go to Hawaii for several years and they were not available.  He finally used anytime miles and told me that he would never fly Delta again.

I had been trying to get 25,000 seats to Jackson and all that was shown was 40,000 and 50,000.  One day, I found them and was in the process of ticketing and the system went down during my transaction.  I called Delta and it had gone through and the agent told me that they could not believe that I got a 25,000 one.  I have paid 40,000 for my next and last flight with them

Unfortunately, I have seen this with US Air.  Their program has everything that I don't like about Delta and I may be stuck with it due to the merger.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...