61 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2013 1:53 AM by kharada46 RSS

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Being Sold

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

According to local media this morning, the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa is being sold.  I hope the new owners retain Marriott as the hotel operator!

Marriott notifies Hawaii labor officials of possible layoffs at Waikoloa resort - Pacific Business News

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Waikoloa Beach, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Waikoloa Beach Marriott Being Sold
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Thanks for posting this, Kyle.  If you hear any further information, please keep us informed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

WOW, no more full service Marriott on "The Big Island" if they don't keep the Marriott name.

Maybe there is another property they are eyeing!

IAHFLYR,

One can only hope for either continued management or a new property!  It was shocking to me to hear about this sale, especially given the high occupancy rates we've been experiencing across the state the past couple of years...  Either way, I hope Marriott maintains a full service presence on the Big Island. 

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I would think that Marriott would want a FSM on the big island.  At one tike they considered timesharing a property next to or near it.  Apparently they changed there mind and so that particular property is not as important to them.

To me, it is in a very good location and actually has a beach, near a shopping center with restaurants and near the Hilton that has a lot to offer.  However, it is a drive to Kona.

Californian,

I couldn't agree with you more.  Despite it's distance from Kona, Waikoloa is a very nice place with good amenities.  And, while I haven't stayed (but would like to stay) and the Waikoloa Marriott, I agree that the Marriott does have a very good location within the overall resort!  It would be a shame for MR members to loose this great redemption option... I think it would be even more detrimental to Marriott to loose it as a redemption option too, as like for airline programs, Hawaii is a key destination for attracting loyalty program members.  It wouldn't make sense for them to weaken their position as opposed to Hilton... But then again, we question a lot of what's been going on lately anyway right?

UPDATE:

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser is now reporting that the sale (and maybe management change) is expected to occur around May 7-15. 

Apparently, the hotel is currently owned by Blackstone Group (Hilton).  I wonder who could possibly be purchasing the property?  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Waikoloa Marriott being sold; workers could lose jobs | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader

I always wonder when this happens too.  I know tourism is up in Hawaii but what about the big island?

I know occupancy rates fluctuated quite a bit for the Big Island, dipping as low as high 60%.  However, as of the first of this month, occupancy is up around 80% and average rates are much higher than they were last year.  Overall, Hawaii has been quite strong last year and will continue to be this year.  So much so that I'm having a hard time getting kama'aina rates at Marriott's Waikiki properties (though Starwood has kama'aina rates available... strange...). 

Hawaii hotels post another strong week for occupancy levels, room rates - Pacific Business News

Thanks for the info.  Hawaii has really done well.  One reason is the amount of violent crime in Mexico.  Tourism there is way down and many of those are going to Hawaii.

If you are from the U.S., why not.  They take our $, the breeze is always cooler to eliminate the Mexico humidity, and the views are spectacular.  We are never going back to Mexico regardless of how safe we are told the resorts are in Cancun, Ixtapa or Puerta Vallarta.  Ixtapa is awesome but not like Hawaii!!!

You can drink the water and eat the food, including salads too not like in Mexico.

Agreed! 

IAHFLYR, I hope you don't have to experience our VOG.  When the trade winds die off and southern winds take over (or no winds at all), then the humidity goes through the roof, the temperature rises, and the islands get covered in a thick, suffocating blanket of volcanic emissions!  It's really horrible and can cause a lot of respiratory issues, especially for those with asthma.  BUT, VOG does make for incredibly vibrant sunsets.  The most red/orange sunsets I've seen were when we were blanketed in VOG.  Everything is always a tradeoff here I guess!   

But, onto another point.  With more and more direct flights to Hawaii, it's getting easier and easier to get here.  I just hope Hawaiian isn't over expanding and compromising its financial stability.  They've been having some incredible rates here and there!  Like about $500 roundtrip HNL-NYC! 

Unfortunately I have experienced the VOG many times and will not be going to Hawaii as often.

Californian, I'm truly sorry you had to endure that.  Unfortunately, last year scientist had said that Hawaii has seen a downward trend in the number of trade wind days we have, and they expect the trend to continue.  They don't know why its happening, but it is... so, that means VOG days will continue to be more, and more common so long as Kilauea continues to erupt.  I have mixed feelings about this because I love to go and watch the volcano, but I really hate the VOG...

kharada, we've experienced the VOG on a trip to Kona a couple of years back, thankfully it was only a day trip during our stay at Ko Olina and it didn't affect Oahu.  It was pretty bad and as you say humid and hot all over the Big Island.

IAHFLYR,

I'm sorry you had to endure that as well!  But at least it was for only a day and didn't impact your entire trip! 

I was on Oahu some years ago and the radio told people to stay inside with the windows closed because of the VOG.  I could not see the mountain that was not that far away.  I cheated and did go out for a short time for each of the 5 days that it lasted.  I lost 5 days out of 12.  It does make me think when reserving a room there at the prices that are charged.

This last time on Maui, my eyes were burning and it made me feel tired.  NO fun.

Yeah, generally when there's a forecast for heavy VOG, they advise people to remain indoors and in AC if possible.  But, most typically don't heed this unless they know they react badly to the VOG.  No biggy for most so long as you don't do more physical activities.  At the very least, it is quite uncomfortable though.  As you have said, burning eyes and a feeling of fatigue are quite common.  Definitely no fun! 

Californian,

The VOG has returned!  This morning started clear and ended quite hazy.  No new news on the Waikoloa Marriott, BUT... the Modern Honolulu, formerly the Waikiki Edition, is having labor issues.  The union voted to authorize a strike today!  Karma?  Perhaps... I'm still disappointed the owners of this property has such unrealistic expectations and forcibly ousted Marriott as property manager... Excuse being Marriott wasn't doing enough to promote the property... as if the property gets any advertisements now! 

Are you referring to the Waikoloa Marriott where Marriott is being ousted?

Californian & Pluto77,

No, no news on the Waikoloa.  I was referring to the former Waikiki Edition.  The owners initiated a "coup" and ousted Marriott management illegally because the hotel didn't turn a profit it's first year and felt that Marriott hasn't done enough to promote the property, though the new managers (Aqua Hotels & Resorts Hawaii) have maintained the status quo in terms of promotion.  I just thought it was ironic that they're now having labor issues. 

I've still got my fingers crossed for the Waikoloa Marriott!!  

I will let you folks know if I see see any updates!

So the property is definitely leaving the Marriott stable?  If so, who is the new management?

Hi Pluto77,

Sorry, I didn't see this post!  Probably due to all the site issues lately...

Anyway, I haven't heard any new news yet, but I did find a more detailed article from Kona based West Hawaii Today newspaper. 

Waikoloa Marriott could be sold soon | West Hawaii Today, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

The article says Marriott is unable to determine whether or not it will continue to manage the property at this time.  At any rate, I'll be sure to post any information I come across!

Thanks for the link to the article.  I don't see why anyone would want to make a future reservation at this property until some things are settled and annoucements made.  I wouldn't consider a stay until that happens.

Yup, this is very true.  Which is why Marriott probably hasn't said anything themselves.  Then again, if loyalty doesn't matter any more, then why not?  The only people a sale with management change would affect would be us.  Those that don't participate in such programs won't care, as there should be minimal disruption to day-to-day business...

Good point.  I assume that the amount that Marriott would make would be increased by future reservations.  We would loose since we would not get our benefits.

Sadly... hopefully Marriott will remain property manager.  I don't see why they wouldn't want to retain a beautiful, full service property in a popular market that's been performing well (as a whole, not sure about the property itself). 

It has been a while since I was there but it needed renovations then.  Marriott gives the owners a list of things that need to be done to carry the Marriott name.  Perhaps the new owner is debating if they want Marriott enough to spend more money.

I've only stayed at the Hilton in Waikoloa, but oyster.com's evaluation of the Waikoloa Marriott show very nice rooms. 

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa Photos, Big Island, Hawaii | Oyster.com -- Hotel Reviews and Photos

Perhaps the renovations have been done.  I do remember one problem that I had was the maid washed the glasses in the room as opposed to replacing them with sanitized ones.  I had to complain several times and they finally brought some clean glasses but put them with the dirty ones for me to sort through.  I am particular as to having the glasses sanitized, especially between guests.

That's awful!  I would have done the same thing!  I'm always hesitant to use the glasses out of fear that something like that may happen.  How can you tell?

I mixed something in the glass and after they cleaned, I saw streaks left on the glass.  Disgusting!  I was just at a SHS and they had the glasses in sealed plastic.  I like this.

Ah, I see... That is disgusting!!  Glasses sealed in plastic would be nice...

I haven't spent much time in Hawaii, so I'll admit that I don't have a clue when it comes to Hawaiian accomodations, but from all I've seen, I get the distinct impression that many of the hotels are old and tired looking. Is that true?  On the big island, both Waikoloa and Kamehameha  look rather dated.  Makes it hard to get excited about paying upwards of $300/night for a room during peak season.

As I remember the hotel was  older and a Hawaiian style.  It needed attention.

Pluto77,

Unfortunately, this is definitely true.  There are the exceptions, like the beautifully renovated (and historic) Royal Hawaiian Hotel (aka the Pink Palace of the Pacific), the Sheraton Waikiki, and even the Kahala Hotel, but most other hotels are very dated and some try to push the "Hawaiian theme" too much, and just make it cheesy.  Some industry people have said that the condition of the properties and the prices being charged for them are hurting the industry, especially for wealthier travelers, etc.  Even the JW Marriott Ihilani, while a beautiful and serene property that just came off a wonderful renovation, could have been updated even better.  I do really like the rooms, but it just feels like they could have done more, especially to the public space...

291129_2798840131724_1789058554_o.jpg

335471_2798839931719_1543565005_o.jpg

I must say, Disney did a pretty good job of capturing an island feel without making it too cheesy, though it's still a bit touristy...  

327730_3032219446061_434336482_o.jpg

415576_3031955159454_26197280_o.jpg

405603_3031946959249_623412806_n.jpg

325005_3032260647091_717404627_o.jpg

but their bed isn't all that comfortable... hard to beat a Marriott bed!

I always enjoy pictures.  I find the Marriott bed nice but in my opinion, the Westin bed is the best.

You know what they say!  A picture is worth a thousand words! 

I've heard great things about the Westin Heavenly bed, but haven't tried one for myself yet... one of these days! 

The first time I stayed at a Westin for 5 days and slept on the Heavenly bed, I went home and bought one.

Wow, I'll definitely have to check it out now!  Too bad my local Nordstrom doesn't have one on hand that I could at least test! 

Since you might just do this, I will give you the details of what I did.  The Nordstroms near me didn't stock the bed, they had to order one and it took over 4 weeks.  I didn't want to wait.  I found that Westin puts a private label on it's mattresses and realized that I just might be able to get the same one without the name.  I checked to find out which of the regular mattresses they used.  I checked it out and it felt the same or close enough that I didn't notice the difference.  I purchased that one for considerable less money and had it delivered almost immediately.

Alright guys & gals, the sale date has passed and now we know the Waikoloa Beach Marriott's fate...

She will remain a Marriott!!  To my surprise, Outrigger Hotels & Resorts sold both the Waikoloa Beach Marriott AND the Wailea Marriott to the Blackstone Group.  Both properties will remain Marriotts, though Blackstone has stated they will begin renovations at both properties soon. 

Outrigger Enterprises Names Buyer For Its Waikoloa Beach And Wailea Resort Properties

WOW, that is a surprise.  A renovation, wonder what they may be changing or simply updating things?

Sure is!  I never expected to see Wailea being sold... I actually thought it was a Marriott owned property.  But I'm glad it'll remain Marriott and will be renovated... I'm glad both properties will remain Marriott and see some TLC!  I am interested to see what changes will be made too though

I remember when Marriott was taking over but not all the details.  I know that it had been an Outrigger and then was using the Marriott name but still an Outrigger.  Maybe that continued till now.

Seems like the owned/still own more than a few properties that they operated under Marriott.  I now know of Waikoloa, Wailea, and CY Waikiki.  All 3 have been sold off this year though. 

Good info.  Thanks, Kyle.  I think I'll wait to read some reviews that are posted post-renovation.

Sounds like a great idea Pluto!  I'll continue to post updates if I see any as well

kharada46 do you happen to have any updates on the CY they are opening on the North Shore?

David,

Unfortunately, the latest news is the hotel is being scaled back.  From a nice 4-story, 222 room property, to a smaller, more generic looking 144 story property.  Plans are progressing, but behind.  Groundbreaking was to occur the first half of 2013, but only now is the development site being cleared of the existing buildings.

http://www.khon2.com/2013/05/03/scaled-back-plans-unveiled-for-new-laie-hotel/

This site should be updated on the progress:

http://envisionlaie.com

FYI, Laie's largest landowner is the Mormon Church, and this new CY is intended to be not only a hotel for people that want to stay on that side of the island, but will also serve as a place that students at BYUH can intern at. 

Thanks for the update Kyle and the update link.  Having interns at  hotel is sometimes a much better thing.  I know the many times I've stayed at the https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/rswap-courtyard-fort-myers-at-i-75-and-gulf-coast-town-center/ the interns from Florida Gulf Coast University and they are always great to deal with as well as letting you know if they are not sure of the policy, but will always find an answer. 

That's great to hear!  Hopefully it all works out for the best sooner rather than later.  This property was announced a very long time ago!  It keeps getting delayed, but such are things in Hawaii... especially in more rural areas where residents tend to be much more vocal against change

Vocal against change, now you're starting to sound like a bunch of union aviation employees rather than a beautiful state!!!! hahaha

Hawaii is famous for opposition to change!  The most upsetting one was when Hawaii Superferry was forced to cease operations and liquidated thanks to law suits by environmentalist groups that claimed it would cause enormous harm to the environment and to anit-development groups on Maui and Kauai.  The funny thing was the surfers on Kauai that were most opposed to the Superferry couldn't even pronounce the island's name properly. 

Hawaii Superferry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I regret not being able to take a ride... what a wonderful way to travel to the inter-island!  No need to even rent a car!

That is most interesting reading, I had no idea the Superferry even existed.  You're such a great wealth of knowledge, thanks for sharing it all.

Sure is!  I hope we will one day get a Superferry back! 

I always like learning, though some call me a nerd... haha. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...