12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2013 8:15 PM by jerrycoin RSS

First Time Paris This Summer

las1953 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

As of now planning on staying at marriott champs élysées on points for eight nights.

also plan on excursions to  Normandy, Givenchy, Versailles.  We would appreciate comments and recommendations

on following:

1)  Is this a good choice for hotel for location, accommodations?

2) is breakfast included, and if not, where can one get reasonably priced breakfast or is their upgrade charge at hotel?

3) what excursion companies do you recommend for above sites?

4) Do we have enough days to enjoy sights of Paris and excursion sights?

5) Any restaurant recommendations and do we need advance reservations?

Appreciate your guidance

LAS

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France
Champs-Elysees, Paris, France
Paris, France
  • Re: First Time Paris This Summer
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Holland & Paris 022.jpgMarriott is near ArcHolland & Paris 039.jpgHolland & Paris 034.jpg

Have stayed at Marriott on Champs 'elesees, near the Arc, across street from Luis Vutton. Great breakfast buffet but expensive unless you're staying on Platinum points and it's probably free then. Don't drink coffee in lounge at night (15 E/cup).  Great shopping at Au Printemps Mall - 15 minute train ride from hotel -Concierge desk can provide directions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Paris, France
    jerryhenry Platinum 3 Reviews

You have selected one of the more glamorous Marriott Hotels -- I have stayed several times -- only thing especially in Summer is it is crowded outside -- I now stay at Rive Gauch, not too far but of the beaten path, tree lined street, etc. anyway, nothing wrong with your selection -- you are in the middle of eveything -- I think 8 days is enough to do waht you want to do -- but you will come back to Paris many times

If you're arriving Charles de Gaul Airport, you can take train into Paris  and you can exit very near the Marriott Hotel on Champs Elysees. You will have to make a couple of changes along the way, but the airport station can provide a map of train schedule and routes. I believe you will take train in direction of La Defense.

*BEWARE of gypsies - especially posing as police,or some officials requesting to see your pass port ! Do not take your wallet out to show them I.D.; they especially work the area around the fine shops along Avenue Montaigne and Avenue George (south of Champs Elysees).

Another area of interest might be the area known as Montmartre - lots of artist selling wares here, along with Sacre Coeur ("Sacred Heart) cathedral - nice view of city from here. Take metro there. Long walk up hill after exit train, though.

Best museums are Louvre, not too from Notre Dame, along River Seine, and also the smaller Musee D'Orsay, across river from Louvre.

Fred

Fred

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hello las,

I can recommend Paris Vision for tours to Bruges and the Loire Valley.  It's been about 5 years since I've used them, and so the price has probably gone up quite a bit, but they were very good.  The tour guides were excellent.  It's located near the corner of Rue de Rivoli and Rue d'Alger (not far from the Renaissance Vendome) and in front of Jardin du Tuileries.  You'll never see all of Paris in one visit, so forget about that, but as Jerryhenry says, you will want to come back many times.  A day excursion might be a pleasant way to break up the time spent in the city.

I enjoyed Place des Vosges in the 4th Arr. (where Victor Hugo's mansion is).  Also Jardin du Luxembourg, and there are a number of churches worth a visit in the 5th (left bank) if you have the time after visiting the main attractions.  Saint-Séverin, Saint Germain des Pres, and Saint Sulpice are all très belle.

If you purchase the paris-visite pass for the metro, the funiculaire (tram) up to Sacre Coeur is included in the price.  We climbed it once.  Whew!

The Marriott Champs-Elysees is an exquisite hotel (and I'm with Fred, that lobby coffee is spendy, but the lobby is so beautiful), but a very recent report here on Insiders suggests that the free breakfast for golds and plats has been reduced to a cold continental buffet, hot items are available for 8€/person.

If you visit Versailles, be sure to save your legs for a visit out into the gardens and parks and maybe Marie Antoinettes residence.  Very beautiful and very large.  Trams are available for getting around the park, also electric carts (spendy but perhaps worth it, depending...) and bicycles and boats are available to rent down by the lake.

Others here can recommend some great dining options.

Enjoy Paris!

Bruges and one of the castles, Chambord that we visited on a day trip.

DSC00921 f.jpg

DSC00886 auto.jpg

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Pluto,

Great pictures and information!

Have never been to Bruges, but have been to Chambord.  The Loire Valley Chateaus are wonderful!

Brugges 001.jpgIf you get to visit Brugges there are several good hotels there, and a restaurant I would recommend is De Pottekijker on Hoek Ezelstraat. Caution:  If you go in the summer and it's hot, do not open the windows of your room very wide - mosquitoes will snack on you all night long!

Fred

ohmark Platinum

The CE is a good choice assuming your preference is a large deluxe business Marriott close to tourist attractions, but in a very commercial area.  Of course it's all personal preference, but IMHO the Renaissance Vendome is the perfect property for a leisure trip to Paris, assuming one likes a smaller boutique type stylish property with a great tourist location, and less commercial surroundings.  However, some of the rooms at the Vendome are very small, so elite status or paying for an upgrade is advisable.  Also much praise from Marriott fans for the newer Ren Arc de Triomphe.  I've also stayed at and like the Ren Parc Trocadero, near to the Eiffel Tower, where the property has been recently renovated and the restaurant is run by a Parisian celebrity chef.  All the properties I've mentioned provide a very nice comped breakfast for plats and golds.  Whichever these property you stay at, it would be hard to go wrong.  Enjoy Paris.

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

We find that the open bus city tours are worth the time as they give you a good feel for the city and how it is layed out.  If you are interested in the Impressionists be sure to visit the museum in the old train station, can't remember the name, they specialize in Impressionists.

I agree about the hop on/off busses, Jep.  If it's high tourist season, it can be difficult to get a seat up top, where the view is best, but perseverance pays off.

You're thinking of Musée d'Orsay, I believe.  Wonderful place.

rhoke813 Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi las,

We were just there this weekend and also stayed on points and paid additional for a larger CE view upgrade. I really struggled between this hotel and Ren Vendome and after 2 nights here really wish we had stayed at Vendome although I never did check it out. The "larger" room I thought I had booked was TINY! In no universe was that room 450-500 sq feet. 300 at best and that likely includes the bathtub. The tile in the room was dingy and the door looked like it had been gnawed on my my dog! I am a platinum member and went to the desk and said I wasn't thrilled with the room, on the website it shows that larger CE room as being the one with the different levels and stairs. That actually is a junior suite which she upgraded me to but I felt it was misleading on the website. The breakfast was just OK, after having been spoiled at the Renaissance St Pancras in London it was a real letdown. And hot breakfast is an additional 8 euros which jerrycoin and others on here have been comped in the past. ON the plus side, the concierge Omar was fantastic with his restaurant recommendations and the location was very good. We never used public transportation once outside of the cab from Gare du Nord and again to CDG. We walked everywhere. It did get VERY loud and noisy at night. Check out my review on Trip Advisor for more detailed info or feel free to send me a message.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

rhoke813,

This is "Sad news"!

I am sorry for writing and recommending a place that sounds so different that I remember.

Is this a sign of "The new Marriott"?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...