Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

31 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2017 3:21 PM by drlandrum RSS

Vacations by Marriott: Scam or Worth it?

traveler9907 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Recently gave Vacations by Marriott a try and was rather disappointed:

1)  This is NOT run by Marriott, but rather some third party vendor who branded their site with Marriott

2)  You do NOT earn elite nights or points for your stay (just a 5,000 bonus point award)

3)  Airfare is more expensive that direct bookings, and the lowest fare class is chosen

4)  Customer service is all but non-existent

Share your stories...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
  • Re: Vacations by Marriott: Scam or Worth it?
    miguelgrande Platinum 1 Reviews

I just recently booked a trip to St. Thomas and thought that I would earn points for the stay, which made the increased cost worth it. After I booked it, I then realized that I would not earn points. I don't understand how as a reward member, staying at a Marriott hotel, you don't receive points or credit for the stay. The cost through Marriott was about $350.00 more than through Cheap Carribean. I booked through "Marriott" Vacation because of my affiliation with Marriott. I am a Platinum Premier Elite and thought this would be a great benefit to make the vacation special. Well, the joke is on me. I am interested to see if my status makes any difference to the hotel when I check in.

Also, after booking I sent an email to inquire why the booking of the hotel was not showing up on my rewards account as a future stay. Here is the response, "Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information. We show that you have booked your reservation through Vacations by Marriott. In order to add your Rewards number to your reservation you must contact Vacations by Marriott directly. You can contact Vacations by Marriott at 1-877-483-7275." Seems like good customer service would have been for the person that responded to me in the email, to pick up the phone and call them to check on the rewards number.

I agree, the name Vacations by Marriott implies that Marriott runs it and all of the reward program rules would apply. That is not the case at all. So forget the loyalty and find the best deal. That is what Marriott did!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
      maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

That is interesting.

Every time that I have checked Marriott's prices against the Cheap Caribbean Marriott has always won.  And I have compared quite a few.

Did you check package against package?

I know I got a great deal going to Curacao.  Plus, being an Elite member I received nice benefits when I got there.

Just saying........

Honestly, I will book with Marriott every time that I can because the service is so much better.  I don't want to bother with the third parties.  No service once you book.

g-money Platinum 1 Reviews

Sorry, but I have to vote SCAM.  I trusted Vacations by Marriott that I would be getting some kind of discount "at least 20%".  I also trusted the advertisement that said "5000 bonus points at booking".  During the booking process for a flight and hotel vacation, I kept waiting for some information on the promised discount.  After completing the purchase I saw no information on any discount, and then several days later I checked for my 5000 promised bonus points.  Becoming more suspicous I priced out both the air fare and Marriott website pricing for the hotel room.  I was shocked to see that not only did I get no discount whatsoever, I was actually penalized about $60 for the courtesty of using Vacations by Marriott service.  After researching my missing bonus I finally found some fine print that stated I would not get any regular Marriott points for my trip, and the 5000 bonus points would arrive supposedly 4-6 weeks after the conclusion of my vaction, not at the time of booking as promised by the website.  According to my information I would have simply got more Marriott points, and got them on time, if I had just booked the room myself through the normal website.  Bottom line, don't get duped by the Vacations by Marriott promises like I did, price out your trip first using normal channels, and don't trust Vacations by Marriott to do what they promise on the website, or even to do the right thing, which is not use misleading advertising to sell you a vacation. 

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thanks for the information and sorry what you went through.  I will follow your advice.

Thanks for the heads-up.  After reading about your experience I will be wary.  Thank you.

jfp48 Member

Here is the fine print under the FAQs.

You get 5000 points and that is it. If your vacation is worth more than that don’t bother. I lost 7 nights, plus over 20,000 points by using Vacations By Marriott. I thought it was a legitimate Marriott deal, not a third party.

Kid and Family Friendly Vacation Packages and Deals

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

I know if you go through Cheap Caribbean or Priceline you do not get your benefits to my knowledge.  At least that is what I found out the last time I made an inquiry.  Just wanted to see.

When I booked Curacao I got a quote for Marriott Elite or Marriott Rewards for one price.  I then checked a couple of days later and the price for the room went down by 20 a night.  That was for a room with two queen beds.

When I got there, being Gold Elite, I got bumped to a better room.  Next room up.  Garden room which was beautiful and near one of the spas which to me was much nicer than being on the ocean or near the pool with all the noise.

I also received an amount off of every spa service that I wanted to use.  No breakfast because it was a resort.  But, outstanding service like I was royalty.  There was a couple other things but I can't remember.

Everything at the resort was excellent.  The price outstanding. 

I would give this resort five stars. 

I have traveled plenty and since I have been Marriott Gold I want to make sure I stay that way.

Christine

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

Forgot about my original response and what I was going to say!  Duh!

I went to the Key West Resort last year.  I booked and I thought I booked through Marriott.  But, I was never sure.  I was almost positive when I made the booking that it said I would get credit in their fabulous restaurant each night or day for lunch.  When I got there they had no idea of what I was talking about.  They charged me for weekend breakfast but they gave me free breakfast during the week.  Had to pay for parking which was annoying but they did upgrade my room to a spectacular room viewing the quiet pool an gulf.  Unreal.  Plus, the room was fantastic as well as the resort.

I learned my lesson to make sure that I go to the proper site.  Print out what it says I am getting and make sure I read the reservation when it comes back.  Also, check on a daily basis to see if the room comes down in price.  Cancel the reservation and make a new one.

Always check.  I think and if anyone can answer there is another site out there that does make it appear as if it is the official Marriott site.

I am not like most vacationers.  I go for the deals not the location unless the location meets my needs.

Price is my mantra.  I get really good deals on the site. 

I also use Interval plenty.  But, that is because I have a timeshare.

ninabrackeen Platinum 23 Reviews

I booked a vacations by Marriott to NOLA and was disappointed my stay did not qualify for points or nights. Then, d=today I received 10,000 bonus points from Vacations by Marriott. I am totally happy with that.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This post is interesting and I will be warned to be careful if I do decide to book a vacation.  I also thought that Marriott was doing this.

ninabrackeen Platinum 23 Reviews

How do these people get way with using the marriott name? Our trip to NOLA worked out, but I would not book with this group again.

samm8910 Platinum 5 Reviews

We did a 7 night stay in Costa Rica through Marriott vacations in June and for the 6 of us it was a great bargain. The combination of airfare and hotel was cheaper than pricing them separately. We had great rooms at a great resort. This was our second Marriott vacation, the first was to Curacao and we were quite pleased with that one as well. I would recommend this option for both pricing and convenience. Plus the 5000 points for doing it online was nice. We did not get the nights for the stay, but we used a Marriott card to purchase and got extra points that way. We were recognized by the hotel as Platinum members and got upgrades to our rooms.

foodiecan Member

Nice Post. Every one love such kind of facilities given by Marriot.

Thanks

For Wedding Wishes

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

All these guys are is a booking service. You can book all of this yourself and save. But if you don't want to book it yourself and don't mind paying a bit for someone else to book for you, then this might be good for you.

Idahohand Gold

Stay as far away from Marriott Vacation Club as possible. I have been an extremely loyal Marriott hotel customer for more than 30 years and made the mistake of "purchasing" from the MVC organization. It is a money pit. You are much better putting the same amount of money in a savings account and using it to go where you want instead of trying to navigate their extremely complex and confusing "usage options". Worst decision of my life...I will do all I can to convince every other person on the planet to never give MVC a penny of their money.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Yikes, Idahohand, that sounds frustrating! If you would like to speak with a member of Customer Service about your experience, you can shoot me a DM with your rewards number and contact info.

Thanks, CariJ, for responding to idahohand.  I have had some really bad experiences also with the MVC where I'm a Premier Plus points owner.  Most of those have been with overly aggressive (rude) sales associates which I took to MVC executive management and got resolution.  However, I have found it to be a good investment overall.  Hopefully, he/she will get in touch with you. 

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

I guess I am lucky.  I have had Marriott Vacation Club since 2002.  I have NEVER come across a rude salesperson.  I have gotten so many vacations through them and tons of bargains through Interval.  The properties are spectacular and well kept.  The units are kept well.  No complaints here.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Keep in mind that they are nothing but a travel agency. Not sure why Marriott wanted to "brand" them.

vonnecat Gold

Wow.  I wish I had read the posts about Vacations By Marriott a day earlier.  I booked a 6 night trip to Puerto Vallarta through them last night, and had no idea until after the fact that it was operated by a 3rd party company, and that I wouldn't be receiving MR points or Elite Night credits for my stay.

I read the FAQ for Vacations By Marriott, after I noticed that my reservation was not showing up on my Marriott.com account.  I am extremely disappointed with how misleading this process is for Marriott.  Not what I would expect from a company I've grown to respect over the past 10 years of being loyal to them, in both business and pleasure travel.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey vonnecat, thank you for sharing this piece of feedback with the Insiders fam. I am going to pass this on to our team. If I can help you with anything in regards to your reservation, feel free to shoot me a direct message with your Rewards number.

Also, I wanted to welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insider forum! This is a forum for sharing experiences, perspectives, photos, and questions with a roster of experience travelers. Be sure to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to enhance your Insiders experience.

You're always welcome to reach out to me (CariJ) lindseyh, or joshm with any questions or concerns about anything Marriott Rewards or the Insiders site. We make up the moderation team for the forum and are here for support.

vonnecat Gold

Update: I ended 2015 with 49 nights... just 1 shy of Gold.  Since I never received any night credits for my 6 night stay at the Casa Magna in Puerto Vallarto, I am starting 2016 in Silver status again.  Very disappointed. 

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Call Marriott customer service.  At 49 nights, they might just extend your gold status for another year. 

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

You cannot book through a third party and receive points.  Marriott has to pay them commissions I am sure of some sort so they can't give it all away.  I ALWAYS go through my marriott.com.  I am assured of getting my points and perks.  Not only that, you get best pricing.  They have a price match guarantee.

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

I too would ask them about gold if you are a good customer.

drlandrum Silver

I never saw this post, or I would NEVER have booked "Vacations by Marriott..."

jfp48 Member

Here is the fine print under the FAQs.

You get 5000 points and that is it. If your vacation is worth more than that don’t bother. I lost 7 nights, plus over 20,000 points by using Vacations By Marriott. I thought it was a legitimate Marriott deal, not a third party.

Kid and Family Friendly Vacation Packages and Deals

frequenttravelernc Member

I recently made a reservation using the Marriott website.  The site asked if I wanted a rental car as part of the package and I said yes.  What I didn't know is that my reservation was then made by Vacations by Marriott.  This meant that I was unable to get a receipt from the hotel upon checkout.  I've had to make numerous calls and wait on hold just to get an explanation of why I couldn't get a receipt.  Also, I was charged at the rental car agency for the same rental car that was part of the package.  I'm still trying to get my refund from Vacations by Marriott for the rental car.  This has been a major hassle to deal with. 

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

I also took a vacation from the main website.  Marriott.com.  I book Curacao for a week and we paid  1000.00 each and that included airfare.  Not bad as far as I was concerned.  The Marriott property is gorgeous there and right on the beach.  Fantastic place.  No complaints again and so much easier than taking all that time trying to book on your own.  No rip off for me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links