13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2015 5:06 PM by lexusprincess RSS

Elite Rewards (Where are they?)

jtbeadle Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All -

I am really frustrated and now considering leaving Marriott for SPG or HH. I have PP status which seems useless and Lifetime Platinum Status (new rules) and 500,000 points in my account. I have no incentive to keep earning Marriott Points. If I jump ship to Hilton or Starwood I be a bottom fish for a while but do 70-90 nights a year so soon enough I'll get status with another brand. The removal of the E195 reward of $1,000 gift checks for 135,000 points was a huge reason I stayed in the program. It was an Elite Reward Benefit. Now I cannot find any elite reward benefits and no mention of a coming soon ... I DO NOT EXPECT $1000 for 135K of points again that was a great deal. But the out sourcing to Skymall for the $1,000 gift card is too much at 204K points. As a Platinum Premier I feel that we should get some perks above regular Platinum, Gold, Silver etc... I have yet to see it. Give us a 20-25% point break on Sky Mall Gift card redeems year round. Something to show value to the Top 3% consumers of your brand. So far only the The Seattle Airport Marriott has shown me that they recognize the Plat Prem Status. The Dearborn in Michigan was and I quote... "you are the same as platinum here and we have no additional benefits for you"  Michelle on this site has mentioned that Marriott is cooking up some rewards but without some advertising emails or something to keep us interested and patient I feel many like me will be moving to other brands. inum

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Elite Rewards (Where are they?)
    lmaddox Platinum

Hey Guys,

Just about to head out on a trip to Hawaii to a Marriott hotel.  I am a lifetime Platinum Elite member and just found out the E195 program ($1000 in Marriott dollars for 135,000 has been discontinued).  I want to voice my comments to Marriott that this is a bad decision and make a recommendation to other members here:

I'd ask Marriott to reconsider because:

- As a loyal Marriott Platinume Lifetime member, I expect to be able to stay at Marriott properties with my family where I want to, when I want to, using points.

- I can not use Marriott points at many properties during vacation time (when kids are off of school).  Marriott blocks out point useage, even to Platinum Elites.

- I would use the 135,000 $1000 in points certificates now to get the free room when the points were blacked out.  It is now 202,000 points for a gift certificate, ridiculous.

Marriott, please treat your best customers better than this. 

As a suggestion to all the Marriott folks out there:

- Cancel your Marriott credit card in favor of an AMEX card.  Amex let's you stay at any hotel property using their Membership Rewards program.  There are two ways to use points: 1) use the points as cash and check into any hotel.  or get this 2) use your AMEX points to get a Marriott Gift Card.  $500 gift card is 60,000 points and the card does NOT expire!.  So $1000 in Marriott dollars for 120,000 AMEX points.  Guess what?  I will be cancelling my Marriott Visa cards and putting all my spend with AMEX.

- as another option, switch to Hilton.  They have a credit card deal where after a certain spend you automatically get Diamond Status.

So AMEX offers a better Marriott gift card program than Marriott does.  Really?  Can you believe it...I can't.  I can't post the link but I copied the fine print below.

Marriott $50 TravelCard

6,000 points

Marriott $100 TravelCard

12,000 points

Marriott $250 TravelCard

30,000 points

Marriott $500 TravelCard

60,000 points

Marriott $50 eTravelCard

6,000 points

Marriott $100 eTravelCard

12,000 points

Marriott $250 eTravelCard

30,000 points

Marriott $500 eTravelCard

60,000 points

The Marriott eTravelCard can be used for room accommodations, golf, dining, spa and more and is accepted at over 3700 locations worldwide, including JW Marriott® Hotels, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® Hotels, AC Hotels by Marriott, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, SpringHill Suites®, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®, Gaylord® Hotels, Marriott Vacations Worldwide®.

NEW! Gaylord(R) Hotels have joined the Marriott portfolio of brands to offer you breathtaking family vacation resorts and convention center options. Experience live music, dining, dancing, sporting activities, shopping, golf, movies and more - all in one place. Gaylord Hotels are located in Orlando, Nashville, Dallas, Washington, DC.

Certificates are generally valid for 6 months from the date of issuance. Certificates may be valid for longer than 6 months in accordance with applicable state law.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sacerdos15 Gold 3 Reviews

dear imaddox, you must  be mistaken when you said you tried to use points for a vacation and you could not. marriott says officially that there no black out dates. there are no black out dates they say.then i was only dreaming when i called the courtyad ocean city for using my points and they said there were no rooms.so i tried a whole set of dates in season to see if the "no rooms"was really a blackout.for every date even into the future there were no rooms for points. there are no blackout periods so says marriott and like pinnochio his nose grows longer. why dont they come clean and admit  what everyone knows.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

That is an interesting deal from AMEX.

hopetix Platinum 2 Reviews

Just went to try an get Marriott Gift cards with my AMEX points as I have just enough for $1000 worth. Come to find out in the fine print, these cards ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for Marriott reward points. Was a little more than frustrated by that. What's the point in using a gift card then? They raise the Marriott Gift Cards to 255,000 points AND you cannot earn Marriott reward points with an AMEX Marriott Card. I am going to move to Hilton. This is craziness.

Terms and Conditions:

• Marriott TravelCards may be used at over 3,700 hotels within the Marriott® portfolio of brands, including participating hotel outlets: retail, spa, golf and food and beverage. 
      • Card is a prepaid card, not a credit card, and is property of and issued by MI Fulfillment Services, LLC 
      • There is no expiration date for card.  Each transaction will be debited against card balance; if transaction exceeds balance, user must pay the difference 
      • Card is not redeemable for cash and change will not be returned except when otherwise required by applicable law 
      • Card becomes inactive upon use of all card value 
      • Card cannot be applied to group, special corporate/negotiated, catering, associate or other discounted/non-commissionable rates 
      • Card cannot be used when reservation is booked by a travel agent or other third-party 
      • Card cannot be used to secure or confirm a reservation 
      • Marriott Rewards® points cannot be earned with the use of this card 
      • Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.> 
      • To check card balance and complete terms and conditions go to gifts.marriott.com or call 800.442.6132. Account balance information outside the U.S. and Canada: Use the AT&T® access number for the country code you are calling in conjunction with 800.442.6132.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

hopefix,

Thanks for pointing this out!

Had no idea, and I am sure other MRI didn't either!

jtbeadle Platinum

the silence on this thread is scary

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

there have been many threads on the lack of happiness by major MR members, me included. I guess we are tired of complaining since noone at Marriott bothers to acknowledge, respond and they will win because they wear us out with their ability to ignore us into oblivion. I am about 40 nites short of lifetime Plat, so once that's done and I dont need to re qualify every year, I will be exploring other options, like *wood, Hilton, etc. I travel allot on buisness, so if Mariott wants to ignore me, so be it, but as I have written before, loyalty is a 2 way steet, and I keep getting run over on the one way we put out to them.

johntravels Platinum

THE GIFT CARDS JUST WENT UP TOO! 255,000 for $1000, 130,000 for $500! this just keeps getting worse!

jtbeadle Platinum

I called the rewards number and the agent basically told me that SKYMALL sets the redemption value. I think the Group that Marriott purchased from that retired the product was themselves. My guess is Marriott has outsourced all of the reward redemption to Skymall or Popular with the exception of Hotel Stays and mileage transfers. There will be no discounts for Platinum members on anything. (my guess)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Considering weighing in on this discussion: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/13766

There's no harm in trying.  And, while I realize a lot of folks are frustrated with Marriott, my feeling is that - if they hear a message consistently, they'll think up a creative solution.  It's a (very) large institution - and, alas, it's far too easy to lose sight of a small number of exceptional customers... And that's a shame.

chase Platinum 14 Reviews

I also wanted to add a comment about the additional increase to 255,000 points for $1,000.  Our points are now reduced in value, without notice, by almost 50%.  I was originally told that the 135,000 point gift was not selected very often and that is why it was removed.  I went online to purchase 2 x $1,000 gift cards this afternoon and found the additional increase.  When I talked to the rewards people on the phone, they were not aware of the change, but eventually found out it was changed earlier in the week.  They said they have no control on the redemption levels.  It is bad enough to have the increase in redemption, but to not be informed of the change is very disappointing.  I guess they only want us to use our points directly for hotel stays.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I'm also a bit frustrated that the point structure for the gift cards have been raised.  Occasionally I would order gift cards to use for leisure stays instead of cashing in points for hotel stays so that the nights stayed would count towards Elite status renewal.  Now because of higher cost of points for gift cards it only makes sense to use points toward hotel stays only.  I also noticed that some of the Ritz Carleton Gift Cards require less points, but they can only be used at Ritz Carleton properties.

Value     Ritz Carleton      Marriott

$50          15,000 points     17,500 points

$100          27,500 points     30,000 points

$200          55,000 points     60,000 points

If Marriott is unable to offer a better gift card redemption program for it's Elite members then they should allow Reward Nights count towards Elite Status renewal.

lexusprincess Gold

I am only a gold elite.  When I first made Silver, I started getting welcome packages with a bottle of water, maybe a cookie, but it was a nice touch.   By the time I made gold, welcome gifts seem to be part of the past all in a few months time.  I would just like a bottle of water at times.  If you push the point, at the desk,  you may be given a bottle of water.  Is Marriott trying to tell us, unless we are platinum, they do not care about our business?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...