20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 7:36 PM by anadyr RSS

Teeth Grtting and other issues?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Yep, time to grit our collective teeth and restate the obvious!  No, I guess we're not in Kansas anymore Toto, unless you are in Kansas (and sorry for maligning just one state when Ohio is still on my most malign-able state list). 

We're in near free-fall in the value of loyalty programs among various hotels, not just Marriott.  Of course, there are good things to be said for these programs, but on the whole, the idea of rewarding loyal customers for their loyalty is not quite as ironclad as it used to be.  Maybe because they don't care, I don't know.  Maybe they care, but are testing us to see if we notice?  Maybe none of the above?

We are handcuffed to many of these programs--we've invested a lot in them and for them, with the hope that they'll pay us back.  Hopefully they will, but that hope seems to be getting less and less certain.

Marriott still gets my vote as a great company. I'm in my 30th year as an MR member. I have been given many things over the years for my loyalty and am grateful for them all. I've made lifetime Platinum and am pleased with that.  But Marriott Rewards, like the proverbial hangnail, is still a tad irritating (but not fatal) and the changes made to the program are worrisome.

If you agree, let me know. If you disagree, ditto. I'll leave the light on for ya! (oops, wrong chain, sorry)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Teeth Grtting and other issues?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I believe current Marriott management has changed its focus on their loyal customers that was so important to J. W. Marriott in the past. Their short term change to increase profits marginally will impact them negatively in the longer term, in my humble opinion. It will be very difficult and take a long time for them to gain back the loyalty they have worked so hard for over many years. Right now they are focusing on customers in the developing countries (like China) with the hope that those revenues will be more important and more than offset any loss of revenues from their current elite members. In this regard, I am confused why many Insiders seem to continue to express their 100% Loyalty to Marriott, even considering these dramatic negative changes that have occurred over the last year or so. It will be interesting to see if this loyalty will remain if Marriott continues to downgrade benefits and disregard their most loyal customers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

It must be thus.  And sadly it is.  We as members have limited power if any to change the direction of the program.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I agree.  I've only been a member for the past 3 years, but have seen the value plummet greatly in that time.  It's to the point that I can no longer use my Visa ecertificate for a quick "staycation" on my home island of Oahu.  The change has also jeopardized future travel plans, since most of  the locations I'm looking into visiting a couple years in the future have seen great changes in categories over the past two years.  It makes me questions whether or not it's worth it to remain steadfastly loyal to Marriott.  I'm an infrequent traveller (mostly for leisure, rarely for business at my current company), so the loyalty question becomes all the more serious for me. 

Seems as if there are many unintended consequences in making changes to the program and you've pointed one out very well, thanks.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"It's to the point that I can no longer use my Visa ecertificate for a quick "staycation" on my home island of Oahu."

Well that sure sucks!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Always a good read, Anadyr, and I do apologize, but that's all I've got for ya, as I've done said my peace.

Worriesome or "wearisome?"  I for one am "weary."  It's all going to cost me more, but I guess I'll have to figure it out, and figure it out I will, even if it means traveling less.  I hate it that many of my loved ones live so far away (for example sister in Sydney, cousins in Abu Dhabi), but am ever so grateful for their hospitality right about now!

Dear Pluto, well said and thanks.  Of course it is wearisome too, but what can we do. We are but players, they are the directors, and producers in this drama.  Alas poor Marriott, I knew him well.

They make drugs for people who worry too much.

erc Platinum

I'm worried my drugs will stop working.     
          It's over Johnny. IT'S OVER! - YouTube

erc, there's a fix for that too.

and a good movie by the way.

dejamo Platinum

Dearest erc (kel)...................

Hurry up and get some good ones that will stay with you long enough to air guitar yourself into oblivion with the new Jimi Hendrix album............

Just saying..............

Yep.............you guessed correctly...................(at another Hilton!)

(cant wait to see ol al pop in soon and give his 2 cents!)

erc Platinum

My ol' pal, dejamo  - brother from another mother

Animals Hyena

I was wondering when your happy face would chime in!  I think Big Al is designing a bridge, he's been pretty low key of late. Now word is that Conrad and Paris had a bit of a devaluation also, so we may be bragging about being the tallest dwarf in the room. But it's good to know you're out there, still pulling for us. Best wishes, erc (written in a Purple Haze )

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

I needed that "Laugh" tonight, thanks!

Where is the picture of "Mr. Hyde"!

dejamo Platinum

Yep............I be around.....pushin...pullin and a proddin !

Here's one of my favorite "Happy Faces"!

WHAT A WAY TO GO.jpg

Also saw this one on the Tobin James Winery page--great photo and great comment too.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I am weary too.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Today, I had to put my "Cool-aid" down for a glass of great wine!

We are going down a "Dead in street" with this MRI program at this point.

I have learned with people and programs, "If you have to worry about them, you don't need them"!

I am worried about this program, but not the great people I have been introduced to!

Will have more, but "I am not counting on The Marriott light being on"!

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

This seems to be a common thread running through many of the posts of the "old farts" amongst us. Trend, or just a blip?

Oh, and don't be surprised if this post is moderated to keep it in the Disney Zone. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...