20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 1:35 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Spirit to Serve  -  Insiders style

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was just thinking how important it would be to tell Every one of you Insiders who make real contributions about places and properties how appreciated you are.  Yeah, I like the banter back and forth about this or that, how we can improve, what we need to eliminate....  But what really turns me on is the post with great info on a property I either don't know about, or a country not yet on my radar, or a helpful hint on where to stay or what to do in somewhere I have either never been to or only scratched the surface of.   Thanks to All.  THAT is the real value of this community and we should NEVER forget it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Spirit to Serve  -  Insiders style
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Me too shoeman1000!

Am really only here for the travel talk! 

but occassionally get sucked into all this P&P, Benefits stuff!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Thanks, Shoeman -- that's why I am here too. I try to do my part as far as I can, but I have learned so much from others.  And we have created a virtual community.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

So true, so true. We have a lot to share and hopefully we help others too.

and its really helping me to hear other peoples's stories.

I have forgotten so much, till I read other posts, and it jogs my memory.

Its helping me to get organized, and also think about what I really want to do next listening to everyone else's experiences.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

shoeman,

Could not have said it better, myself!

It is the absolute truth, and the hope that we can both learn and share with others!

I am so sick and tired of the "Big deals not worth it"!

Along this line, I am wondering about Marriott's "Tallest hotel in the World"! (Dubai?)  Don't think it is for me, I have a problem with heights.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

shoeman,

You hit the nail on the head with this one.  This site is like a Who's Who of travel locations and tips, and how to get the most out of those trips!  I spend an increasing amount of time here researching locations before we go there.  I am limited in my travel now, and want to make each and every trip count, the best I can.  Thanks to you and all the others who give us so much!!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I couldn't agree more. The most enjoyment I get from this site is from the discussions surrounding places talked about and responses to places posters ask about. It gives us real insight from those who 'lived it' and I like that perspective. We may like and not like what Marriott has done and will do to our Rewards program, but I'll still enjoy the real travel posts......even if they are about non-Marriott properties!

Happy Travels!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Here, here.  Well said by Shoeman and everyone.  Travel stories and info are our truest passion!

Having just come back from Dubai (and I stayed at my cousins villa, which trumps even the Burj Al Arab in my humble opinion), I must say that if I were to stay at a Marriott in Dubai, the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai (the now tallest hotel in the world) would be my first choice.  The architecture is quite beautiful (and there is a lot of stunning as well as bizarre architecture in the UAE to be sure - to wit the Burj Khalifa - truly stunning).  Also, Marriott or not, everything in Dubai is over the top, as far as that goes.  When you have more money than you know what to do with (UAE) - or sense for that matter , well, that's just how they roll.  It's the UAE.  Gotta see it to believe it.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I see it everytime I pump gas.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Husker, we have people who do that for us (Not really but when in Oregon or New Jersey we actually do).  My lowrider Yugo takes only cheap gas so I am fine

Husker,

I as well.  I started to write more, but I'd best leave it at that.

My 2008 basic version Ford Focus does too. (And I love that little car, even in Maine winters.)

So, did you take any pictures of the Marriott in Dubai to share with us???

GemP,

I did not.  In fact, I'm pretty disappointed with my photos, which I will nonetheless publish soon.  In my opinion, the JW Marquis is one of the nicest looking Marriotts there, including the RC's, and is definitely the most well located (as well as new, of course).

Here's a photo of the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai from an Emirate news website.

JW Marriott Marquis Dubai.jpg

At $400-$600/night for the least expensive room, I could only ever stay here on points.   Room prices go down in the summer, but it's hotter than hades, 130+F, which you will probably never find published, but that's the hidden truth, coupled with the fact that while the climate is for the most part arid, it can get downright humid near the water, so a quite miserable combination.  But the winter weather (and the accompanying high prices that come with it) is wonderful if you can swing it.

Hi Pluto,

Can you give me an idea if I should ever go there (presumably only on Delta miles)?  Dubai is a modern creation, isn't it?  Is there anything that would interest a historian other than the modern architecture?  As I age, I need to choose more carefully.

ProfChiara

Hi Professor,

Well, right.  It is a very modern creation.  Of course the tribes of Abu Dhabi and Dubai, etc. have been around for perhaps thousands of years.  The UAE geopolitical entity itself however is quite new, less than 50 years old (1971 I believe).  They have only been drilling for oil for less than 60 years.  Prior to the oil, again as little as 50 years ago, there were no cars, no skyscrapers, no roads, no electricity, etc., no hospitals, no schools, etc., only lots of sand (still lots of sand), which makes it difficult to wrap one's head around the unbelievably massive amount of development (ie. buildings, skyscrapers, malls, resorts, highways, etc. you name it) in such a very short period of time.  It just seems like a physical impossibility, yet there it is, as a result of endless amounts of both domestic wealth and imported labor (professional, skilled and unskilled).  The Emiratis are (were) nomadic and lived lives that revolved around basic subsistence, which consisted of fish, dates and camel milk.  They raised and utilized camels, and depended on pearling for trade (other than what I described, they had to trade for practically everything that they needed, although houses and tents were created from date palm fronds and goat hair), until the Japanese began culturing pearls, knocking the demand for the natural pearls to the ground.  That, the Depression and the World Wars ruined the pearling industry and trade for them.  Archaeological findings date people in the region as far back as 3-5 millenia BC or earlier.  Islam came to the region not long after Muhammed naturally, but I have no knowledge of the history of the region during the middle ages, which I know is your area of expertise.  I purchased and have been reading the book Rags to Riches, but it mostly discussed the UAE's history in terms of only the past 150 years, though briefly touches on activity since the 1600's, including the involvement of both Portugese and British control and influence.

So the short answer is that I'm not really sure.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Wow, that is an impressive place, to say the least.  And I thought 110 was hot.  I'm definitely not interested in anything except a winter trip, for sure.

Oh, how about that.  I did take a snap of the JW.  Didn't realize it until just now.  Notice the Burj Khalifa off to the left of it.

IMAG1269.jpg

Thanx Pluto for the photo.  I have always wanted to stay at this property, and so have been reduced to vicarious travel through the pictures and stories of others.  Also, when you are visiting with folks, its hard to stay in a hotel without offending them.  I remember my first Thai trip when we were staying with friends, but I wanted to try the Bangkok Oriental that I had heard so much about.  Since my flite arrived at 2am, I finally got away with it on the pretense that I didn't want to wake my friends up in the middle of the night, and treatig them for burnch when they came to pick us us, not to mention an easier drive then going all the way to the airport.  Driving in Bangkok is challenging, as none of the lanes are marked, you just have to memorize which are bus lanes, which are for rush hour, etc.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'll second that, Shoe.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...