58 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2014 4:31 PM by bonzaiflyer RSS

E195 Checks

coloradogirl1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a PP member who stays 200+ nights every year in a Marriott.  I choose to use Marriott because of the E195 ($1000 Marriott Checks for 135000 points). these are no longer offered.  I use those checks to meet my family for vacations.  I will now be shopping for a better deal at another company.  It is STUPID to endanger loyalty, but you have.  There are companies out there that will treasure my 200+ nights per year and treat me better. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: E195 Checks
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

coloradogirl

Your post is important.  May I suggest you send this to customer care as it will have a better chance of being viewed by management.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bonzaiflyer Platinum

I concur.  Going from 135,000 points for $1000 in gift cheques sure beats the now offered 204,000 points for a $1000 gift card.  Can you say big time "program devaluation"?

What kind of medication were the Marriott Rewards program folks using when they thought of this?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

holy moley.........   that is a definate devaluation.   what an insult!!!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

coloradogirl1 and bonzaiflyer, the Elite-only (135,000 points) paper gift checques were discontinued on Dec 31, 2012 because the group we purchase them from retired the product. We will let the community know when a replacement will be available, however any purchased gift checques will be honored until the cert's expire. 

bonzaiflyer Platinum

Funny, I got a quicker response on the Marriott Rewards Facebook page.  That response didn't mention that "group we purchase them from retired the product" but did say "Thanks for the feedback. We will be offering a new Marriott gift card discount for Elite members in the near future".

Let's see if it's worth it, or whether the SPG/Delta crossover is going to win my business.

whistleblower Platinum

I would like to know how soon this new Marriott Gift Card disount will happen!!

I just stumbled across the fact 2 days ago that the 135,000 points for $1000 cheques was not offered anymore.  I am also a Platinum member that has used this option over the years to pay for an extra special Hotel for our family.  I have a trip booked for April to the Aruba Stellaris resort with the Tradewind opton.....and I was planning on this cheque option. I had checked earlier to see if the option of 135,000 points was still available....and at that time it was (but I was not aware that it was disappearing). So to my surprise 2 days ago when I decided I should order the checks.....frustrating!  I called customer service and told her I could not find....am I missing something! She said it was discontinued and my option is to by this gift card in the SkyMall for 202,000 points.  WOW!  I do not see anything special that is offered to elite members.

I did send them a note about my frustration......and their response....

Marriott constantly strives to improve its various customer service departments and programs.  Therefore, please be assured that we have documented your comments for our development team to review.  We truly do appreciate the comments you share.

We appreciate your continued loyalty as a Platinum Elite member.

jtbeadle Platinum

I too have heard there will be a replacement... BUT THE WAY MARRIOTT IS COMMUNICATING WITH ITS MEMBERS VIA FORUMS IS INSULTING. ALSO YOU GET A DIFFERENT ANSWER EACH WEEK. NO ONE HAS ACTUALLY CONFIRMED WHAT AND HOW THE REPLACEMENT WILL WORK! I do not expect the 1000 for 135K but if platinum premier can get 20% off at hotel food outlets I expect at least a 20% discount off 204K points for $1000 gift card. 163K for $1000 would Thats about a 20% increase but I could handle that. I want to reedeem points now but am waiting for the announcement when and how will we get it!!! It is ridiculous that I have to log in here everyday to check for "RUMOR". I want facts clear concise and quickly...

Greetings jtbeadle - when clear an concise facts are available, we will let you know.

And as a friendly reminder for all, please refrain from using all caps. We welcome a difference of opinions but our primary rule when creating a post, or replying to one, is to be relevant and respectful. Just as we would not allow someone to stand in one of our hotel lobbies shouting profanities or engage in other disruptive behavior that upsets guests, we will not allow that type of action here.

jtbeadle Platinum

Thanks for your quick reply. You skirted the one issue that I capitalized for the exact reason I used caps to draw attention to it. How will you let me know? A personal email, A thread I might miss in this forum? A direct communication from you on this forum? I appreciate your comment when facts are clear and concise you will let me know.

All news and announcements are posted within our Exclusive News blog. For updates within your activity feed, you can "follow" the blog or use its RSS feed.

whistleblower Platinum

Is there an easy way to follow the Blog....without having to check everyday??

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I have said it before and I will say it again. I will be lifetime Platinum by year end 2013. That is all that is keeping me staying at Marriott properties for now. The slow as Molasses in January comment is spot on. The platinum benny's have been severly eroded in the last few years, and now not having a response to the 135K points for $1,000 gift checks for 92 days and counting isnt a way to treat your best and most profitable customers. Michele had responded to one post that she was making management aware of the issues raised in this forum. Well, all you are hearing is allot of frustration with the way we are being communicated with. We really want to be loyal to Marriott, really want to stay at properties we like, but I do have a choice, I can use *wood as the other major chain in my Company program, they have a good set of properties and are pretty much everywhere I go. So, Community Manager, maybe its time for answers to questions, if there are changes coming, we would like to know about them, and not be kept in the dark. 92 days to let us know if a benny might come back, in some way, in some shape, in some form, is long enough to figure it out. We are making travel plans for the summer, and the lack of the Benny will come back to be an issue if we dont hear it soon, as you see we do have a choice in travel, and we will exercise it, just not at Marriotts.

mbeman Platinum

I sent an e-mail to Marriottrewards@marriott.com with the same concerns that everyone has posted here and we received no response.  I will be a lifetime platinum this year and have been at platinum status for the last 12 years.  Here is my e-mail:

Dear Marriott Rewards,

It is very disappointing that there are no special rewards for platinum elites this year. We just went online to order the $1,000 cheque certificates to use on an upcoming special trip to Spain that we have been planning for over a year, only to find we are now just like everyone else. We will reach your lifetime award this year and what is the incentive to remain loyal to Marriott? When I called the rewards line, the only suggestion your employee gave me was to go through skymall and shop on line by using 205,000 points to get $1000 gift card. Gee thanks for all your help?

After the disappointment I decided to go on the discussion page to see what other platinum elites are saying. After reading several comments; it appears you have disappointed a great deal of your top 3% customers. Several people commented on your lack of rewards and removal of the gift cheques for elites. Others are looking at HH and SPG to see what benefits they offer.

We have been loyal to Marriott for over 12 years. Our brother is also platinum elite (emiratus status) and we have encouraged many to join Marriott. We are even premier timeshare owners and have talked other family members into buying. Please bring back the $1000 Marriott cheque certificates and special rewards for your platinum elites. 

I’m sorry to say after 12 great years…it may be time for us to do a little homework and compare your rewards program with the others. 

Don't expect a reply, and if you do get one, it will be a form letter

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

the discontinuation of this item was discussed extensively back in DEC.  you may recall that the offer ALWAYS showed that it ended on Dec 31.  Marriott continued the offer year after year for several years but it always was an annual offer.  Since there was never a guarantee that the offer would continue to the next year i would always order as many as I had points to redeem.  Very few people ever took advantage of this offer BTW.  I wish they still offered it but as with any offer that shows an expiration date for the offer you must assume it will actually expire.

sksasek Platinum

Dear florida travels-How do you know that very few people took advantage of this reward?  Is it that there are very few Platinum Elite?  If that is the case, why discontinue?  All the members we know-more than 30 or so-are very upset.  What they do not know about is this forum, and those that know don't care enough post, they have just moved on-most to Starwood and the Westin brand.

Is there an easy way to follow the Blog....without having to check everyday??

Sure, allow me to explain further. While you're signed in, if you click the link to the Exclusive News & Promotions blog, you'll see a big blue "Follow" button in the right column. Alternatively you can track update from the blog within your Communications page. Here's an FAQ which may help further: What’s the difference between tracking and following content?

ppmcgloth Platinum

This is demonstrative of the typical Marriott mentality in recent times.  Rather than address its own horrendous behavior - rather than address its own outrageous devaluation of rewards to its loyal customers - Marriott chooses to attack one of the loyal customers for yelling about the harm they are suffering.  Are you serious?  As we live day-in and day-out, paying hundreds of dollars per night, thousands of dollars per month - to stay in Marriott hotels across the US.  Here we are trying to work while you are jackhammering in the room above us - trying to relax in the pool that is closed for repairs - spending hours dealing with incorrect charges every month - dealing with heating/cooling problems 1 of 5 rooms we stay - eating the same nasty, overpriced room service every night.  Then we find out that the "points" we have accumulated have been devalued by 50%.  And you dare take the time to tell one of us to stop yelling!!!!   How dare you.  We should all be yelling.  What you have done here is simply wrong...........It is no way to treat loyal customers

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Sounds like a classic case of  "you snooze - you lose".

bonzaiflyer Platinum

So, looks like Marriott is moving as fast a molasses in January in Alaska on this.  Still nothing official from anyone about this at all.  Meanwhile all my March nights were with SPG.  I see less and less Marriott nights in the long run.

bonzaiflyer Platinum

As I noted earlier, the only personal contact I've had from Marriott Rewards has been when I posted on their FB page.  Here, on their own forums, I get zip/zilch/nada.  Kinda funny huh?  Not funny like ha ha funny, but funny like they don't really give a rat's tail end funny.

rmatsuk Platinum

Typically, I'm the last in line to complain about things but I need to share my feelings on this one.  I'm a Platinum Premier member and have been for about 4-5 years.  In addition, I'm Lifetime Platinum.  The discontinuation of the 135,000 point redemption is the absolute worst thing that's ever been done to the program and wasn't managed well.  To say that they've been retired and we'll let you know when a replacement is available is completely counter to the customer service mantra that Marriott prides itself on.  To add to the disappointment, I didn't see any announcement that this was going to happen.  I would think that for people (and there's probably a lot of us) who used these cheques as the primary benefit of the program, they should have at least been given an opportunity to purchase more before it was retired, or another equivalent option.  I've been completely loyal to Marriott to earn my statuses over the years and Marriott should not forget that my loyalty as a customer should be valued more than what it was in this situation.

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

again, the offer always showed it ended on Dec 31st. And the discontinuation was posted extensively here in Dec and as early as beginning of Nov.

mynameissam Platinum 2 Reviews

It isn't the retirement of the "paper checques", heck, it is easier to keep track of the "plastic" gift cards. I think at issue here, is the devaluation of the points! Now, in order to redeem for something equivalent to $1,000 dollars, a PP must drop an additional 69,000 points. Unfortunately Hilton just devalued their points as well by expanding hotel categories and making it harder to get a free breakfast, but they run tons of point promotions!

travelboy Platinum

I too was surprise to find out the Marriott cheque awards discontinued. The $500 gift card option is no bargain either. Points mean very little now.

mdphillips69 Platinum 9 Reviews

In my opinion, the $1000 Mariott cheques for 135,000 were by far the best platinum elite benefit offered.  Please bring them back!

bonzaiflyer Platinum

Wow, this topic seems to have just died.  No word from anyone at Marriott, no hints of things to come.  I'm sorry to say that because of this, I just cancelled 5 rooms worth 20 room nights in June at a property in San Bernadino, CA and moved them to a Hilton brand (there weren't any SPG brands around).  Time to wake up Marriott.  You've already lost my May business to SPG (22 nights), now these June nights to Hilton.  Shame on you.

December 31, 2012, e 195 discontinued, for a really bogus reason. March 1, 2013, Community Manager syas we will let you know when we do April 26, no word, dont hold your breath, because they have no intent to replace these since if they did almost 5 months is enough time to tell us what they would do, so at this point, my hope has died. Yours should too. I have over 1 million points and those will be drawn down since I cannot see any value to being loyal to marriott beyond 2013 when I reach life Plat. then I am off to other chains that might actually treat me better. COMMUNITY MANAGER - PROVE ME WRONG!

Greetings bonzaiflyer and stelzer001. I realize you’re looking for a replacement (and again, you’ll be the first to know if and when there’s news via the Exclusive News blog), but there is not currently a replacement for the previous $100 and $1000 Elite-only Marriott Gift Cheques. In the meantime, I’ll personally keep hope alive for the rest of us.

i dont want to say where "hope" got the USA 5 years ago. Nuff said. I cannot believe that after 5 months Marriott cannot figure this out.

dt95 Platinum

Still no information.  Given I am already Platinum for life. Time to change preferences and earn it with the other major hotel company.

jtbeadle Platinum

Still No Answer.... I am looking at * Wood.... unless the promos are on for Mega Points I am outta here.

johntravels Platinum

The gift card rewards just went up too! 255,000 for $1000 now; 130,000 for $500....just keeps getting worse

Boo!!

mbeman Platinum

The top three percent are of no consequence to Marriott.  We just swapped to HH and by showing our account status with Marriott they matched our status!

Time for change!

Do you have to relinquish your Marriott status for the Hilton Match? How does that work?

mbeman Platinum

No you do not have to relinquish your status.   Call HH and they will request for you to fax a copy of your Marriott account.  Then they will give you the status.  Apparently they want your business!

sksasek Platinum

Thanks for the heads up.  Has anyone tried the same for *wood?

bonzaiflyer Platinum

I'm at a loss for words.  How does Marriott allow this to happen?  This is beyond ridiculous.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

That's quite a jump

hopetix Platinum 2 Reviews

The response that this is a SkyMalls decision is also a load of hooey. Going from 135,000 to 255,000 UNBELIEVABLE (and yes I'm yelling). Today I cancelled my Marriott stay in Chicago (Blackstone) and going across the street to Hilton. I am getting matched status and am going to take my business somewhere else. I am really dismayed that Marriott seems to just ignore anyone who voices their displeasure and really doesn't seem to care. I've recruited many, many folks to the Marriott Rewards program, booked many groups at Marriott properties all over the country, and I will be looking for other options with better customer service. Makes me sad Marriott. You've got some great properties, but the prices are higher and the points worth much less.

exit72 Platinum 1 Reviews

Now at 255,000.  Unbelievable.  Community Manager--what say you.  This isnt the promotion you promised...

davidh714 Platinum

I agree to all the PP out there. I have been a PP for over 13 yrs. I am also waiting on an answer for this point. This is very disappointing.Marriott community manager we deserve an answer.

ansaa Member

Hi davidh714 - thanks for posting.  The e195 award was discontinued at the end of 2012 and there is not a replacement.

sksasek Platinum

Did any of you get the survey just sent out asking why the number of nights you stay at Marriott declined so much?  I told them that I was getting better rewards at other chains now that the E195 is gone.  No response...  they noticed but I guess they did not like the answer.

rebeccabd Platinum

How sad is this....  I have over 600,000 points sitting in my bank.  I've been an elite platnium member since 2009 with over 1,000,000 points in my bank and I have never heard of an E195 Check...  Why don't they tell you about this?  So much for loyalty!

ansaa Member

Thanks for posting, rebeccabd...we completely understand your frustration.  The best way to keep up with our latest news and announcements is to follow our Exclusive News & Promotions blog. Participating in the Insiders community is a very helpful way to maximize your rewards. And as always, any updates we receive on our end, we will do our best to make sure you are among the first to know.

bonzaiflyer Platinum

marybr....Back on Feb 26 the community manager posted "We will let the community know when a replacement will be available..."  So here we are 6 months later, and we saw the $1000 gift card go from 204K points to 255k points, but not a peep from anyone at Marriott/Marriott Rewards about any replacement as noted in that post.  What gives?  Our chain has been yanked once too many times here.  Going from 135k to 255k for a $1000 reward is pretty dramatic.

Has this really been brought up to the people in the ivory tower?  Seems it' just been lip service.  Being lifetme Plat and PP year after year, I hate to throw away the relationship, however, it seems to be a one way love affair, me loving Marriott, but not getting any love back.

hopetix Platinum 2 Reviews

Great post bonzaiflyer! Thanks for saying what many of us are thinking! Literally not a peep about this.

weber818 Platinum

Can someone explain to me why this old 135,000 points for $1,000 was so valuable?  If you run the numbers, isn't it actually less beneficial than just using points to book rooms?  The Renaissance Chicago Downtown costs 105,000 points for 3 nights, vs the regular rate $987 for those same 3 nights.  Even a low level hotel that costs 15,000 points per night has to cost less than $110 for the E195 check to be cheaper.  What am I missing, why was this such a great deal?

-Adam

jtbeadle Platinum

$1000 at 135,000 points was a great way for gold and platinum members to turn a vacation package into a great almost  all inclusive trip. you could redeem them for $1000 dollars on anything you could room charge. suite upgrade, meals, golf... ANYTHING it was a 1,000 in cash so you could redeem 135,000 *2 = 270,000 and in Aruba eat like a king at Ruth Chris, Drink at the bars poolside etc and not have to pay out of pocket it was $1,000 cash! not room value.. CASH.. No limit to redeem. We used to use 330,000 for the stay and 100K air miles and then 270K for spending money. It turned a Marriott into an all inclusive vacation. 600,000 It was great!

rhbrannonjr Platinum

I just joined specifically on this point to say: *THIS*

I've done this twice with two major point blasts now: once for a family Christmas on a lakeside resort and a second time for a 3 week trip to Europe.  The E195 checks effectively turned a great trip into an all inclusive vacation!  Really sad to find these were no longer available last time I tried to pick one up.  This was by far my favorite perk once I hit the PP levels.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

You're missing two simple (and VERY important) facts:

1. When rooms are sold out on points, you must use cash; these checks were as good as cash without actually using cash
      2. Points cannot guarantee a suite; cash can, so repeating from #1 ---- these checks were as good as cash without actually using cash

sksasek Platinum

Hello All-

Well, the last several years, we have all pushed Marriott to #1 in the Freddie Awards.  Given that the E195 reward is gone and we have not heard anything  from Marriott about their plans, how are you voting this year?

charger Platinum 1 Reviews

The E195 certs are gone for good, too bad and very disappointing.  Marriott has seen an uptick in profits and there in lies the reason...no incentive to return this reward to their top level guests.  I just received my Platinum Premier Elite credentials and gift today. The gift is a portable USB power charger, which based on the travel impact this winter... was a thoughtful and appropriate gift.   Hats off to Marriott for considering the need and value of their thank you this year.

I agree with charger. I am a capitalist and understand profit motive. I also understand loyalty, point dilution, catering to millenials who have little to spend (unless they are the guys who sold whatapp to Facebook), and removal over the last few years of some of the best perks of this program. What I am doing is making stays at other chains, easy to get a status match, drawing down my copious points and learning that the only loyalty is the feeling my dog has for me. Marriott blew a good thing, got many of us who were big spenders to spend elsewhere (with all due respect to Cy Coleman and Dorothy Fields, "Sweet Charity)", I am the "hey big spender, don't spend a little on Marriott, spend it elsewhere ".  I hope Marriott gets what its looking for, because I sure have not. Oh and after 126 styx, no PP gift for me, not that I am bitter, I went to Walgreens and got one on sale for $8.

pointchick Platinum

I have been a loyal Marriott member and when was surprised that Marriott didn't give any type of notice that they were discontinuing the e195 gift cards.  Like all the other loyal Marriott members, I used those for vacations and other special occasions and have been patiently waiting to see if Marriott is going to offer any other similar benefit to platinum elite members.  I am also lifetime and worked very hard to get this distinction and I no longer see any type of platinum benefits "offers" like the E195 Marriott checks at discounted points that distinguish between platinum or silver
    ?

bonzaiflyer Platinum

In Marriott's defense, they always had "expires 12/31/xx" (where xx = the year you were looking at it).  However, they always "brought it back" the following year, so it was like the boy crying wolf for all of us.

That said, we got screwed, and to date, I've never heard a peep from anyone at corporate about the "replacement" they were going to offer - even though I've been promised many times.  Now that we're 1.5 years removed from when they discontinued them, perhaps they think we've forgotten.

I kind of forget about it when SPG upgrades me to that nice corner suite on the club floor and really does care about Platinum folks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...