22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 9:40 AM by erc RSS

Surfer's Paradise Marriott Resort and Spa

bluedolphin Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Our family stayed at Surfer's Paradise Marriott Resort and Spa over 2012 X-mas break and had wonderful time. Our 3yo had a blast in the resort pool and has learnt to swim in 8 days that we stayed at the Resort. All staff was fantastic, friendly and helpful anywhere you encounter them, from room services, pool area, lounge and concierge desk to name the few. Having Santa around on the X-mas day giving lollies and Ho Ho's was awesome touch by Marriott, and kids loved it. Restaurant Citrique deserves all rewards with great food selection, ambiance and service. Benihana meals were available on the pool side which apart from providing tasty meals it was entertaining for kids to see Teppanyaki chefs knife ritual.

Pool area is just fantastic for kids with water slide, lazy river and sandy beach with tropical fish swimming in the pool.

All in all fantastic holiday at fantastic resort. Big thanks to all Marriott staff at the Surfer's Paradise Resort for making our vacation absolute joy.

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia Marriott Hotels & Resorts Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Surfer's Paradise Marriott Resort and Spa
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Greetings Bluedolphin,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review of this property.  I've always wondered about visiting the Gold Coast, wondering if it would be worth my time.  I have to say, this property looks fantastic!  I notice that parking is free too.  Was there a resort fee?  Does the property have a Concierge Lounge?  Also, did you do any sight seeing?  If so, what would you recommend?  Last question (for now ), was the area crowded?

Thanks again for posting.  Look forward to reading your reply.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

CIMG2903.JPGPluto,

I stayed at the Marriott in Brisbane and really liked it there.  It is within an hour or so drive of Surfer's Paradise.  I did not stay at the Surfer's but did go by it.  It depends on what you are looking for.  From what I saw, it was in a resort area and somewhat like many here in the states.  By staying in the city, I was able to take in what the city had to offer including a Koloa sanctuary where I held one.  There was a day tour to a place where "wild" dolphins come in to eat from your hands.  There were swap meets and other attractions.  Maybe going so far, take in both.CIMG2858.JPG

Cali and GP,

Thanks for chiming in.  The one thing I wouldn't want is to be in a throng of crowds (thinking about my husband who hates crowds.)  Otherwise, like I said, the property looks really cool.

Cali,

The Koala photo is fantastic.  Such cute little things.  I can't believe you got to hold one.  Taking in both sounds like a reasonable idea, probably cheaper to fly from spot to spot than hiring a car the whole way and paying high gas prices.  Both "Melbun" and Surfer's Paradise are a ways from Sydney.  But did you hire a car while in "Melbun?"  (It's been quite a long time since I've driven on the left side of the road.)

Gem,

Taking a seaplane up to the GB reef really sounds fantastic (aerial view, water landing - wow), but as you said, weather and sea conditions dependent.  But worth a try, eh Matie?

Ya, so I had a brain fart.  I meant "Brisbin", not "Melbun."  I'm sure there's an Aussie slang term for the likes of me.  (Sorry, Cali.)

Message was edited by: pluto77

Years ago, I drove from Melbourne to Sydney stopping at the capitol to see the embassy buildings and such.  I would not do it again.  Years later, I drove in Tasmania and that was fine.

On my last trip, I flew into Brisbane and stayed for 5 nts at the Marriott on points.  While there I took a couple of tours and while on one had an hour in Surfer's Paradise.  This would be drivable or they have buses that transport people.  From there I flew to Melbourne and stayed at the Westin.  I stayed at the Marriott the time before and was not to happy there.  They are both in good areas.  From there I flew to Sydney and stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay and spent 7 nts there on pts.  It was a good trip.

The Koala Sanctuary is the only place in the world that allows people to hold one.  They say they can do this because they have so many that they each have very little contact with us and it doesn't stress them too much.  You get to do so briefly while they take a picture.  You pay for the picture.  It was a nice experience.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

my recollection was it was about 1 hr drive from the Brisbane ap, as we had flown across Australia from Perth, changing planes in Melbourne.

Driving is all on the 'other' side of the road which stresses me out, but my ex felt comfortable with as he was from a country where they drove on the 'other' side of the road.  I was always worried that he would 'forget' so it was hard to relax on the road.

I assume that accidents do happen when one is driving on opposite side of road but many do it.  The other option, is taking bus transportation.  They did have that when I was there.

I drove with no issues in Japan for about three years.  It did take a bit of getting used to.  I did have an issue once when I came home on leave, and couldn't figure out why the numnuts coming straight at me was driving on the wrong side of the street.   Oops.

I'm leaning toward going back to Sydney for a week in Oct. to visit my sister before they (hopefully) move to the states permanently next year.  I won't have any time to spend in the places we've discussed here.  Perhaps some wine country in NSW and the Blue Mountains, might be reasonable.  A week isn't much time.  9 days (Sat. through the following Sun.) and you have to subtract 3 days for travel, which only leaves 6 days.  I'm already taking about 4 weeks this year on other stuff (plus some long weekends), so even a week is sort of pushing it.  It may not happen.  I may be dreaming.

exactly what my ex said!  It wasn't hard converting over to the other side of the road, but returning to the US was difficult

p.s. We did wine country in Perth, and it was wonderful!  After all it is the sister city to San Diego!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

Is that the way to spell "Numnuts"?

I looked it up in the Dictionary and couldn't find it?

erc Platinum

jerry

In my best Arnold Horshack voice and arm raising impression (ha ha, another tv reference you will have to look up ):

Since you have answered so many of my travel questions, and because Pluto did such a terrific job posting that great Dubai photo, I will answer on her behalf:  the official spelling is NUMBNUTS - the stupidest (yes, stupidest) of the stupid and even more colorful descriptions, but Pluto being as sweet as she always is, no doubt meant it in a more benign fashion - like knucklehead.

Yes, what he said!  Since I was indirectly referencing myself, I favor knucklehead.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

Thank-you!

Looked it up and I had never seen "The Tv show", so I did not know the character.  Sorry to hear he is gone.

Thank-you for your contribution!

erc Platinum

You're a good man jerrycoin. TV land is surely the only realm that I've been to more places than you. But even TV Land points out how a great Insiders game would be the Six Degrees of Travel Separation - jerrycoin version.

Arnold Horshack (Ron Palillo) character out of

Gabe Kaplan's (comedian, now big time poker player) Welcome Back Kotter program

(one of John Travolta's earliest gigs)

Welcome Back theme song was composed by John Sebastian (Lovin' Spoonful) who used to jam a lot with and was mentioned in the

Mama's and the Papa's autobiographical ballad Creeque Alley which was a hangout (Blackbeard also) in St. Thomas Virgin Islands

which of course takes us back to your kingdom - travel. Hail jerrycoin!

Now of course, "throwing out topics" using rock n' roll references, with experts like tef, anadyr, profchiara, shoeman and others nearby, I'm behaving somewhat like Linda Richman and may get verklempt  so "talk among yourselves"; but that of course is a subject for another time!  Whew, talk about hijacking a thread - sorry,

I have also stayed at Surfer's Paradise Marriott Resort and Spa.

I really liked the tropical decor, and the spa services.

We also used the tour service Marriott recommended and saw alot of interesting things, like a tropical and temperate rainforest all in the same park.

The only disappointment was that we tried to book the sea plane for a day trip to the great barrier reef, which is only possible if the sea is not rough.  The week we were there, it was rough water and wind every day.  I remember going down to the tour desk every day while they checked with the company to see if they could do that tour.

Another thing I really liked was the shopping mall down the street, which had several good australian restaurants.  It was nice to mingle with the locals and try the food they like.

I will have to see if I can dig out my pictures.

Pluto,

We felt like we had the hotel to ourselves. Hardly saw anyone.  No problems getting my massage appointments. Swam in an empty pool.

I had really planned to travel up to Cairnes, as I have always wanted to go to the Hayman resort but just did not have enough time, as we had to stop in Perth first to visit the relatives leaving me very little time in Brisbane, hence I decided to punt, and do the sea plane, but the weather was not cooperative.

If you have the time, I would go up to Cairnes and try the Hayman Resort.  It is spectacular.  Check is on the yacht over champaign on the ride over.  Take alook at the video

http://www.hayman.com.au/the-hayman-experience/video-gallery/

but if you don't make it up there, the Surfers Paradise is so nice you will not feel disappointed...its a gorgeous hotel...don't be mislead by the exterior photos

lobby.jpgPool.jpgPool2.jpgLagoon.jpg

Gem, the Hayman looks divine, but alas too rich for my blood.  Perhaps someday...

I haven't forgotten your recommendation however of the Kempinski hotel in Bratislava, which we are seriously considering, and I thank you for that.  Interesting, while in Abu Dhabi last week, we took a stroll through the Emirates Palace, which is to date the most luxurious hotel I've ever had the pleasure of setting foot in.  They have an ancient middle eastern art gallery (and ancient art for sale as well) that is world class.  The place is stunning, but again, for a bit too many dirhams that will fit in my wallet.

http://www.kempinski.com/en/abudhabi/emirates-palace/welcome/

Sounds lovely!

Have always wanted to go to Dubai but never have!

The ex was dead set against it.

Any pics???

I'm slowly working on photos and narrative.  My photos aren't great, but I'll let you know when they're up.

Pluto,

Your photos will be better than any of us have for sure!

It will give us a feel for the place

Oh my goodness, you've ruined me.  I just cast a look at the Kempinski on the Palm Juhmeirah.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...