1 2 3 9 Previous Next 122 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2017 11:23 AM by YogiB RSS

Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, all.  For those that do not know, there is a level called Platinum Premier that is supposed to be above the "Platinum" level.   The status used to mean something, as I found out, when I first attained it in 2005.   I find the status, this time around, to be an insult. 

1. The "status" is meant to recognize the top 3% of those in the Marriott Rewards program;  it used to recognize the top 3% of those with Platinum status;
  2. The status gets you NOTHING over the regular "Platinum" status.
  3. It used to be that  your Platinum Premier card entitled you to a 10-15% discount in any restaurant in the hotel in which you were staying( it was indicated on the back of the card);
  4. You would get both arrival gifts (points AND a pantry item and some water);
  5. The General Manager would make it a point to meet you, personally;
  6. The staff would actually recognize you as a "Platinum Premier" not just "Platinum".

I just got off the phone with Marriott Rewards and the representative on the other end of the line told me that Platinum Premier gets you nothing over Platinum.  It is just a way to recognize the top 3% and that some members like to have the card and "puff out their chest" about the status.

Well, I am not one of those people. If I have "earned" a status, then that status should come with some benefit, otherwise it is an insult.  Telling someone that you want to "recognize" their status without any real reward showing that recognition is empty and disingenuous.   Why have a "status level" above another one, if the benefits are EXACTLY the same as the "lower" level?

I am curious to hear what other Platinum Premier members think about this and really interested to hear what an official Marriott rep has to say.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    jetgirloc Platinum

I totally agree with you.   In addition to your comments........... They have taken away the US Marriott cheque so we can no longer purchase in bulk with special points pricing for our catagory.  Gift card purchases are now priced the same for all, even a first night guest. And the lower the denomination the higher the points in total when trying to purchase multiples. .

This was a feature that was very important to me.... to be able to give a variety  of my customers a special gift in increments of 50.00 to introduce them to Marriott Then Marriott would reap the benefit as they rebooked there instead of Starwood  Kimpton or Destination Resorts.

Sooo many times I have gone out of my way to stay at the brand because  PP actually meant something.  But no more cabbing or driving across town to maintain loyalty when all that is waiting is dimished service,  value,  and appreciation.  A NO vote from me  on the Freddie awards for Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ravnwyng

I agree 100%.  Why on earth have a designation (PP) and then not attach ANY value to it???  In the airline industry, achieving the ultimate level brings many gifts.  I would also be curious to understand why even have the level???

Management, care to expound????  Mind you, this is coming from your very top clients......

• 3. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings ravnwyng

We created Platinum Premier as a special designation for a select group of Platinum Elite members who have consistently demonstrated exceptional loyalty to Marriott brands. By differentiating Platinum Premier members from other Platinum members, Front Desk associates can provide a higher level of personalized service and recognition at check-in and during your stay (for example, Platinum Premier members are given top priority for room/suite upgrades).

A Platinum Premier member receives all the Platinum benefits, plus access to an exclusive phone number and email for all your Marriott needs. Whether it is to request reward certificates or redemption stays; make room reservations; book a restaurant reservation, spa appointment or tee time; or simply have a question about your account, a Marriott associate will be available to assist.

• 4. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

c'mon cm, can you really say this with a straight face???  ok, I will attest to a greater upgrade % as a PP, but the rest?  really?  put some teeth in the designation and make us WANT to achieve the level.......

• 5. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm into year two of PP status. This is after 3 or 4 yrs of reg plat status. Just a couple of FYIs

The first part of 2012 saw many upgrades and many "welcome PP" recognition at check-in. The last quarter of 2012 still saw plenty of upgrades, but very few "welcome PP" from front desk personnel.

For 2013, I'm in my 28th night and 11th different Marriott property. Upgrades still most of these stays, not one "welcome PP" yet. I was a bit worried if I was going to get the PP status for 2013 since no one at the hotels was mentioning PP. The only way I knew for sure was the Black puffy envelope that came in the mail.

So......plenty of upgrades, Marriott is doing that very well. Front desk recognition...not so much.

• 6. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ravnwyng,

I too am PP, and this is my 30th year as a MI.

However, seldom does any person at the front desk ever acknowledge my status (Except  out of the US).  I really don't think they even know what a "PP", or any status is!  When I check in I had them my PP card, and they tend to just say "We have your MR number on file, as a result of the reservation.

One of the real nice things for me is the "Hot line", and that has really helped on my bookings.  Those people are great!

• 7. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Other than the phone # which is always answered promptly, I'm seeing nothing compelling from being a Marriott No-Lifer. Considering it takes 25% more nights to achieve Marriott's top published tier compared to Hilton (75 nights vs. 60) already,, not to mention the additional business needed for that chance at PP, where's the motivation to push that much more business to acquire a marginally improved position? The ROI proposition is seriously skewed here.

Given I've made the requirements for Lifetime Platinum some time back, I can't find any sound business reason to continue down that path based on nothing more than emotional loyalty when there's nothing more to gain other than points waiting on next year's devaluation or the dubious honor of comparing lifetime nights with y'all at the bar.

• 8. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

The ONLY times the PP card was EVER paid attention to was when I would show it in the restaurants a couple of years ago for the 20% discount.  The waitresses would always have to go to the mgr. to find out if it was legit and then the mgr. would pay attention the rest of the time.

Marriott could deal with that problem effectively by doing something similar when we check in with there being some kind of little reward on the back like with the 20%.  It wouldn't be so much for the reward as to get them to pay attention.  Ridiculous for them not to pay attention without it, though, isn't it?

• 9. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I just fell back to Platinum after a number of years as a PP. Honestly I cannot recall a time when it made a difference to me or a hotel associate, most never figured it out anyway.  Seems to be a holographic thing: Unless you are looking directly at it, it's invisible.

• 10. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Somebody should tell that to the GMs.  If they even know what PP is, they sometimes don't treat us any better than they would a non rewards member.  They rarely even acknowledge the level, either.  And as Jerrycoin said somewhere, if the cards are pulled out, they don't even know what the different colors mean, I don't think.  They just say they already have that info.

I love the phone line, though.  They are great!!  Once I was disconnected, called back, and the call went directly to the person I was disconnected from without even having to enter the membership number.  (Some problems once in a while even with it, though.)

Still haven't gotten the card this year, though.    

• 11. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    toader Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm in a similar boat.  Due to a down turn in travel this past year, I also lost my PP status and am just a regular Platinum guy.  I'll see what the difference is, but I did notice more true suite upgrades after having reached PP. I guess sometimes you re-evaluate the value of something once you lose it.  Noting PP status was something I would joke around with co-workers about as this unpublished Marriott level - like you say a sort of "chest pumping."  In the end, I am not motivated at this point to make any extra effort to achieve PP status: 1) because there really isn't a point of knowing where the threshold is, and 2) the added benefits are so minimal and random.

• 12. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    absolutelegend1 Platinum 2 Reviews

This is my 4th year as PP.  I'm in the same situation that I haven't seen a single noticeable benefit yet.  I book via the website, so I don't use the 'special' phone line - maybe I will give it a try

I do hear that we are supposed to get the priority on upgrades, but since I never get one anyway I don't see the difference.

I'd like to make some suggestions of benefits that would suit me as a PP:

• 75% bonus points, as opposed to the 50% that regular Ps get
    • Bring back the 20% off food benefit, but make it globally applicable, not just in the US
    • Bonus points AND gift at check in
    • Make the PP gift worth having, and also make it available to all customers, not just those from the US
    • Make sure that a complementary breakfast is available EVERYday of the week, and equally applicable to ALL Marriott brands

I don't think any of these suggestions are unreasonable or difficult to implement.

• 13. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

All I want is my little ole Lifetime Platinum card in the mail!

Seriously, IMHO the travel industry is pretty much a joke.  Getting recognition from an associate is about the next to last thing I really care about on a business trip (or did care about), give me the nice clean room I reserved and leave me alone unless I let you know I want something.  That's just me and how I travel.

Reading some of the threads here and on flyertalk I now see why some airlines are asking their flight attendants to recognize their high end frequent flyers by giving taking their their meal and beverage order first regardless of what seat they have in first class rather than row by row....it's because all they do is complain about everything.  It makes for good reading and sorry for the rant, I've got to buy tickets today and make sure my upgrade is processed.

• 14. Re: Platinum Premier - An Insulting Status, If Ever There Was One.
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I was a PP for two years and really saw no difference. This year I have dropped to regular platinum but to me since i really use Marroitt mostly for business travel the kind of room really isn't important so long as it is quiet. A suite can be nice but really on business how much time do you spend in the room - for me not much. On vacation will be a diffeerent situation . So for me the key value in platinum is the conceige which of course you get with Gold and of course the point 50% adder. Now that i am Platinum for life I will get both. So you are right all airlines and hotel chains are cutting back but I will stay with marroitt and the new American as that's where I have my status

1 2 3 9 Previous Next