10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2013 5:23 PM by gobluetwo RSS

Best Category 1-4 near Washington DC?

k-o Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

My hubs & I are planning to go to Washington DC this summer!  We don't have any kids yet & thought DC might be fun since I have never been before.  From the midwest & am not familiar with the area at all, but am hoping to use those Cat 1-4 certificates that are accumulating.  Will be flying in from Chicago, but will probably have a rental, so driving is fine.  I saw some bad reviews on the Fairfield that is in DC and no others that are cat 4 or less.  Any other suggestions in the general area that are nice?

Thanks!

Kari

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, D.C., USA
  • Re: Best Category 1-4 near Washington DC?
    erc Platinum

If you're flying to DCA, I would recommend the Residence Inn Pentagon City, Va. take the free shuttle to hotel and on a nice summer day, walk the easy half mile to the Crystal City metro and take it into the city - if w/car, parking costs >$20 (look it up, I don't remember exact price).

If you want the car for driving the area and don't want to pay parking, try the SpringHill Old Town Alexandria, Va. (which the area itself has a lot of nice historic places to eat and visit).

If you want to be closer to the Georgetown part of the city, try the Residence Inn Rosslyn, Va. Again, parking >$20 per day, but if no car, you could take Metro Blue line from DCA to the Rosslyn stop and walk to property and (or taxi) across Key Bridge into Georgetown. You can subway into downtown from Rosslyn (but must walk/cab to Georgetown).

If you are flying into IAD and therefore most likely with car; try the Dulles Marriott Suites, Va. or closer in the Tysons Marriott, Va. (both with free parking) and drive into the city from there (or drive to and stay at one of the properties above).

Many of these properties have very attractive weekend rates, where it might make sense to buy the weekend and use your certificates weekdays, if needed to stretch your stay (depending on how many certs you have).

REMEMBER - SEVERAL OF THESE PROPERTIES GO UP IN CATEGORY MAY 15TH  -  so reserve before then to maintain certificate eligibility.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

k-o,

Erc gave some good advice above.  You may want to try a search on Arlington VA as there is a number of category 4 hotels in that area that are close to one of the Metro stations where you are a very short ride from DC.  This would also be ideal if your using the Reagan Airport. Also as Erc mentioned you may want to make your arrangements prior to May 15th as some properties will go up in a category.  Have fun!

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I agree with the Residence Inn at Pentagon City and the Dulles Marriott Suites.  (Haven't stayed at the others so cannot comment.)  One thing to consider is that the Dulles Suites isn't convenient to DC, but definitely is to Dulles.

The Residence Inn PC is directly across the street from the Pentagon so I highly recommend taking a walk over there (or have the shuttle drop you off) for a night time viewing of the memorial.  Very moving.

The rooms are newly remodelled and lovely.  You are also within walking or shuttle distance from the open air, hop on hop off, bus tour stop.  If you buy a multi-day pass you can travel around the entire city and see pretty much everything, including a boat tour. 

Washington DC Mobile

We also had the shuttle drop us off and pick us up at Legal Seafoods, which is a really great restaurant nearby. 

http://www.legalseafoods.com/restaurants/arlington-crystal-city

Another great restaurant when you're in the city is Founding Farmers.  You definitely need a reservation for there, and there might be a bit of a wait, but it's definitely worth it.  They gave us free hors d'oeuvres to compensate. 

Washington DC | Founding Farmers Restaurant | True Food and Drink | Washington DC

Oceanaire is also a great place to go for Happy Hour.  The Oceanaire Seafood Room

Have a great trip!

gobluetwo Gold 1 Reviews

Agree with this.  My family and my sister's family just spent spring break in DC.  We stayed at the Residence Inn a few blocks south of the National Mall, while my sister's family stayed at the Residence Inn Pentagon City.  Aside from the fact they had a studio suite, it was a great property for them.  Very convenient to the Metro, allowing them relatively cheap transport across the river.  And if you have kids, the M-W manager's receptions and daily hot breakfasts are huge.  They did have to pay for parking, but ended up not using their car very much, if at all.  They mostly kept it in the garage and took the train.  That's a consideration.  If you want to visit things outside of DC, though, a car is a must.  For us (and them), there was more than enough for us to see/do in DC proper (didn't even visit the embassies, Georgetown, Dupont Circle, etc.) that we didn't feel like we needed to drive anywhere.

It's also just 2 train stops (I believe) from DCA.

jakekath Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi--Depending on your travel plans, there is a Marriott Airport that is extremely convenient right at the airport.  I'm only mentioning this if you are getting in late AND may want to go to the Air Museum right near the airport.  It is an exceptional museum with free shuttle transportation.  Also, if you have an early departure back home, this Marriott is very convenient. 

That Airport Marriott is probably one of the worst properties I have ever had the misfortune to stay at.  Steer clear!  Seriously.

jakekath Platinum 4 Reviews

Interesting comment.  I think it would be helpful to all if it were put in some sort of context. 

The person asking the question asked for a category 1-4 hotel.  The airport Marriott Dulles fits this category.  It isn't a Category 8 and doesn't claim to be.  Again, if one has an early flight departure or a late arrival, or wants to spend a day at the Dulles Space Museum, AND wants to stay in a Marriott property, this hotel is a decent option. 

Perhaps you had a singular bad experience.  Or perhaps you normally stay in Category 5-8 Marriott hotels.  It is always helpful to the readers to include the context of your comments. 

My comment was in regards to the request by the OP for a "Best" Cat 4 property.  Dulles Suites is at the airport, also, and fits the criteria.  Airport Marriott doesn't.

k-o Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks for the input guys! Leaning towards the Residence Inn everyone recommended. I know it won't be as glamorous as higher categories, but wanted a decent, clean one to use up those certs :-) Very excited for my first trip to DC.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

k-o..A great restaurant to try is "ris"  on L & 23rd.  Great bar & great food.  One of the best in DC!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...