9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2013 3:13 PM by ravnwyng RSS

Definition of Stay (Mega Bonus)

edwin Member
Currently Being Moderated

Can someone enlighten me what constitute a stay in the megabonus 2013? A quote form the megabonus 2013 webpage state "A stay is defined as consecutive nights spend at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity."

Does a one night stay in a participating hotels constitute a stay or it must be two consecutive nights?

If two consecutive nights constitute a stay, then if staying for four nights means you paid two stays and thereby entitled to a free e-cert night?

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Definition of Stay (Mega Bonus)
    taxman415 Platinum

A stay could be defined as a single night in a hotel or two or more consecutive nights in the same the hotel... So you would not be entitled to the free certificate in your example of two consecutive nights in the same hotel since that is one stay... But if you for example stayed in Marriott Hotel "A" the first night and checked into a new Marriott Hotel "B" on the next night then you would have two consecutive nights/stays but at different properties and would entitled to the certificate... Hope this helps...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

edwin Member

Thanks to taxman415 for the prompt reply and clear my doubts. Much faster than even the customer service officer.

Nevertheless, this also leads to another of my thought. If you stay at the same hotel for a night say a deluxe room. Then the next day check out and check in into an executive room. Is that consider two stays or one stay?

taxman415 Platinum

Same hotel regardless of room type would count as one stay.  Sorry. 

travel-dog Member

I'm also puzzled by this. Assume I stay Marriott hotel A Saturday night, Marriott hotel B for sunday night and Marriott Hotel A for Monday night. This means I get two free nights? If I stay at Marriott Hotel A for both Monday and Tuesday night, do I get another free night? 3 in total?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

No.  If you stay in hotel A, then the next night hotel B, then the next night hotel A again, you get credit for three "stays."  Since you get one free night certificate for every two stays, you would have earned one free night certificate after your second stay at hotel B.  Your third stay at hotel A would count toward earning your next free certificate, which you would earn after your 4th stay during the megabonus promotion period.

Consecutive nights at the same hotel count for one stay.  Period.  So if you stay at hotel A for two nights in a row (like you mentioned above, Monday and Tuesday night) that only counts as one stay.

Also, did you see that many hotels are being bumped up one category?  Make sure that if you are spending money staying at hotels so that you can earn the Cat. 1-4 reward certificates, that you can actually use them.  All of my favorite Cat. 4 hotels that I had previously enjoyed using my free Cat. 1-4 certificates at are jumping up to Cat. 5, effective May 16th (there were about 8 of them that I enjoyed).  That leaves me with no incentive to take advantage of the megabonus program by doing more stays.

jfranklin11 Silver 25 Reviews

Suppose I stay 2 consecutive nights at the same hotel, pay for one night, and use points or a certificate for the other night. Will I get credit for a stay towards my Mega Bonus?

In the Terms and Conditions it says: "Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit."

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews

It means that if you stay in a hotel and check out in the morning, then check in to that same hotel that evening, you will only get credit for one stay, since it was consecutive nights, even though you checked out and checked in again.   They just don't want people to try to "game" the system or overload their staff with check outs and check ins. 

Have a great day

jfranklin11 Silver 2 Reviews

Suppose I stay 2 consecutive nights at the same hotel, pay for one night, and use points or a certificate for the other night. Will I get credit for a stay towards my Mega Bonus?

In the Terms and Conditions it says: "Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit."

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews

jfranklin.  In your scenario, my advice would be to actually split the stays into two, using the points or certificate for the second night.  Simply check out after one night, settling the bill with some monetary payment, and then check  in again for a new "stay", settling the bill with points or cert. 

This will, effectively, "reset" the type of stay, be it reward or monetary payment.   It is a good question, and one that occurs all the time, when people use a certificate for one night of a multi-night stay.  Either way, use the points or cert(s) before or after a paid stay.

I hope this helps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...