48 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2014 11:19 AM by misterchk RSS

Courtyard Room Upgrades for Platinums?

robertlstein Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'm really confused about the policy, which essentially says they'll upgrade your room but there are no guarantees and absolutely no recourse if a property, rightly or not, decides to not honor this perk. 

My experience at both Courtyards in Little Rock, AR after over four months of weekly stays is that there is no such thing as an upgraded room at a Courtyard.  They may try to claim a room by the elevator (and ice machine that grinds loudly at 2am) is an upgrade, or that honoring my profile request for a high floor constitutes an upgrade, but really? 

I know one of the Little Rock Courtyards is operated by McKibbon group, and the other appears to be corporate owned. Yet no difference in the indifference of FDCs when asked about upgraded rooms.  And I'm not going to even get into the indifference in general of staff at both those properties.  (That review will wait for after I'm done with my last stay there.)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Little Rock, Arkansas, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Little Rock Downtown
Little Rock, Arkansas, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Little Rock West
Atlanta, Georgia, USA Courtyard By Marriott
Wallingford, Connecticut, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard New Haven Wallingford
Romulus, Michigan, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Detroit Metro Airport Romulus
Romulus, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Metro Airport Marriott
Newark, New Jersey, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport
Newark, New Jersey, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
  • Re: Courtyard Room Upgrades for Platinums?
    superchief1 Platinum

As a long term MR member and lifetime platinum, Courtyards have become my major disappointment. Marriott has ruined this brand and there is no reeason for anyone to stay at one. I highly prefer Hilton Garden Inns over Courtyard.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

travel_4_work Platinum

I too am very disappointed by the 'new' courtyard.  The lack of free tea in the AM and WAITING, what seems like forever, at the bistro for sub-standard food seems like a real step backwards.  The food at the bistro isn't much better than a vending machine.  Yuck!  Bring back the free coffee and tea.  Is that too much to ask?  I'm a platinum member thinking about going back to Hilton.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

The CY VP said that more like the "new" than don't.  This is hard to believe reading this site.

superchief1 Platinum

I think management has to put a positive spin on it. I have spoken to shuttle drivers and people working the front desk at the Courtyards I used to use frequently and they said that most of their customers have complained about the changes. They also said that many, including my self, did not plan to come back.

douginmaryland Platinum

You nailed it on the head !!!

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews

As for your upgrades question.  You are correct, there is no recourse and you cannot force a hotel to give you an upgrade, and you have no way of knowing if they had one available and did not give it to you.  Sorry, but thems are the facts.

lostfaithinmarriott Platinum 4 Reviews

Here is the Marriott policy... Franchisees do as they wish with no recourse!  Marriott has lost total control of the quality, consistency and service they once were known for and earned loyal fans...  Most of their properties are outdated and overpriced relevant to their competitors.   That's why I've left them with very few exceptions.  Also, Starwod and Hilton will match you Marriott status with equivalent level in their program.  I'm EXTREMELY pleased with the Garden Inn product and have communicated to Marriott sooo many times in the past 2-3 years - No response! 

Go where your business is valued and you will not be sorry.  Simply fax or email a screenshot of Marriott History and they'll really want your business -

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Well, First of all, I am in no way a Marriott apologist.  However, I had reason to stay at the CY in Plano this week.  It was the first time I stayed at this property and one of the few times over the years I've ever stayed at a CY.  At check-in, I was immediately recognized as a PP and was told that I had been upgraded to a 3rd floor suite!  I was also given my choice of points or welcome gift.  When I took the points, I was also told I should take something from the gift area as well.  I was then told I was the only PP in the house that nite and they appreciated my business.  All-in-all, a good start to my stay.....

Unfortunately, once in the room I remembered why I NEVER stay in CY's.  Whole the suite portion of the room was nice, the bedroom setup was such that you could not lay in bed and watch tv without laying on your side.  I find that ridiculous and very annoying.  Secondly, and a deal-breaker for me, is the below-the-window a/c system that cycles on and off all night long.  It drove me crazy and I will never stay there again. 

How do those of you that stay at CY's deal with the a/c and stupid tv setup?  Am I too picky?

I have not had much luck with CYs.  My prime beef is no breakfast but in addition, most are old and even the renovated ones are still lacking.  The window ACs are a big problem for me too.  Often I can't sleep due to the noise.  However, I have had these at most of the brands, including Marriotts.  It seems that the older hotels are this way.  I would like Marriott to post the age of the hotel and last renovation date as well.

I had one upgrade to a suite and it was as you described.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

One can find the age of the hotel and its last renovation date under 'room details' when checking rates of individual properties. I find this a great asset in determining where I might stay when there is more than one property from which to choose in any given area.

red-in-la Platinum 1 Reviews

I stay at Residence Inn's whenever possible.

I gave up on CY when they did the stupid Bistro and Starbucks thing,  If the CY is the only hotel I'll go to a Hilton or a Holiday Inn Express first.

Cold eggs and dried fried potatoes with strong, burned tasting coffee for over $12 is not going to happen.  Not to mention $6 for a Corona.  The fancy computer screen in the lobby and tv's just don't make up for the loss of their old buffet breakfasts.

p.s.  when they did their "survey" they never asked me if I wanted a change.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

The CY in Waikiki (at least for the 1 bedroom suites) do have TVs that you can watch while laying down in bed, without having to lay on your side.  340712_2460298428393_998232756_o.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the dresser in the lower left corner.  The TV is on the dresser.  But, as you can see, this property has that hellishly loud and unreliable window mount AC unit.  And if the roar of that thing doesn't keep you up, the roar of buses and drunk people certainly will!  Like shoeman's experience at the CY in Plano, this CY has great staff (at least when I stayed last year they did) but crummy property. 

fedupplt Platinum 33 Reviews

CY has now become TS for Marriott. I agree. If Courtyard is all that's available, I search for another chain.

CY, 10 years ago was far superior than it is today.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Shoeman, I too have been upgraded at CYs, most recently in Carlsbad CA, but the suite was directly beneath the HVAC unit on the roof, so my white noise was  like that from a commercial shredder!  However, it was a suite, and I could block the noise, which lessened somewhat at night.  I told the front desk and they were sympathetic (to a point).

Anadyr

what a shame that Marriott was able turn a positive (upgrade) into a negative.   Being a well-traveled individual, I can make most situations work, if even just for one night.  However, my wife is much less forgiving and much more demanding in her accomadation requirements.  Noise, or light coming through the windows or below the door, isn't tolerated.  Therefore, a stay at a CY just isn't ever going to happen......

savannahman Platinum

I stay at CY'and Fairfield Inns frequently and I have to say, CY has NEVER offered me an upgrade at ANY hotel. On the other hand, Fairfield Inn upgrades me to a 2 room suite about 50% of the time with some exceptions. I was in Tallahassee Fl. last week and checked into a new Fairfield property, went to my room and it was tiny! I went to the lobby and overheard the manager saying to the desk clerk "we only have one king room left" and she said " thats ok I will upgrade someone. Someone"? How about the platinum Marriott rewards member you just checked in???? They need to train these people better but I think its not just the desk people it management as well. I stay around and I know there are propertiers that upgrade me every time I stay and others that never upgrade me. I have no idea why Courtyard does not offer me upgrades, at least maybe free coffee oin the morning but they dont. But they all, Courtyard and Fairfield need to train their desk help better. The bottom line, Courtyard offers me no upgrade and I have to pay for breakfast and most recently even my cup of coffee in the morning. Fairfield offers upgrades often and I get a free breakfast and most of the time fairfield costs less.

douginmaryland Platinum

I agree with you savannahman and I;m seriously rethinking staying at Courtyards.  While the addition of the Bistro and Starbucks are nice additions, taking away the free coffee and hot water for tea bothers me.  It bothers me because the Starbucks in the Bistro only keeps very limited hours.  This leaves the coffee in the room as the only option (and frankly the quality of the in-room coffee isn’t very good).

This combined with no concierge lounge to enjoy a free breakfast is making Courtyard very unappealing to me – especially when the Courtyard I frequent has a full service Embassy Suites next door with a comparable rate, free happy hour and free breakfast (and a very nice breakfast too).

I’d rather have Courtyard get rid of the in-room coffee and put fresh coffee out when Starbucks is closed (as many of us burn the midnight oil and need that caffeine boost).  Hopefully Marriott will get enough feedback that they realize they are pinching pennies and potentially losing dollars being spent on their Courtyard brand.

Worse yet, I got a Starbucks coffee from Bistro and it was only luke warn.  It doesn't seem like they sell that much.  At a Starbucks store, they dump unsold coffee every 20 min, or whatever, and make fresh.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

shoeman, I completely agree with you about the under window ac/heater unit, but only a few of the courtyard suites I've stayed in were designed with the tv/bed as you described.  Maybe that's just the newer design?

Hi Husker

maybe it's a new design. either way, it, along with the ac unit, are deal breakers for me.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Stayed at the relatively new Courtyard Buffalo Airport and the room did not have an under window heating/cooling unit.  Vents were almost ceiling level on the wall.  Also free coffee in the lobby along with free USA Today and WSJ newspapers.

This supports the theory that some of us have that the newer hotel the better.

lostfaithinmarriott Platinum 4 Reviews

Anyone see what I see... No consistency, which is probably why most of us tried Marriott Brands and stuck with it for many years....  Now, the hotels seem to do what they want, when they want and most have dated, tired old formats.  I for one, like to know what I'm paying for when i arrive and that is why I'm no longer a Marriott loyalist and am in fact switching to Hilton.  Hilton (with verification) matched my PP status to earn my business.  I know what I'm getting and feel much more appreciated than I've felt at most Marriott properties.

You hit it.  No consistency.  Each hotel does it's own thing.  It used to be that when you went to any Marriott, you know what to expect and that is what you got.  Marriott seems to have lost control.

Hi.  thanks for the info.  can you be direct in what Hilton provided?  are you saying they matched your Platinum Premiere status?  That would mean they made you Diamond.  correct?  did they give you this for a full year, or did they give you a 2-3 month challenge to satay enough to earn it for the year?  I just want to know how much I can push them.

thanks

douginmaryland Platinum

Hi Muppetwrangler.   It's good they had free coffee but unfortunately CY appears to be in the process of taking the free coffee / tea perk away.

For example, as of a few weeks ago they had free coffee / tea at the CY Hunt Valley.  I was there last week and noticed it's now gone.

The reason the Front Desk Manager gave me was "because they now have Starbucks".   I shook my head in disbelief as the Starbucks in the Bistro has very limited hours and it's not run like a regular Starbucks when it is open (as one of the other folks out here correctly posted - lukewarm coffee and not nearly as fresh as a standard Starbucks).

The limited hours are what gets me and the coffee in the room isn't much better than accidently ingesting hot tub water. They appear to be pinching pennies and that's (IMO) is going to cost them major revenue dollars when the Elites start going with other brands with better perks.

atxroadwarrior Platinum

I agree that taking the free coffee & tea away is pinching pennies, especially when the in-room coffee is poor.  One exception is the Courtyard Liberty Station in San Diego.  They have K-cup machines in each room with very nice coffee and green tea.

I'm used to heading down to the lobby around 5:30 for a couple cups of coffee to take back to my room, but now with CY, you have to wait till 6:30 before the bistro opens up and they can SELL you a $2 cup of joe.

Oh well, there's always Springhill Suties and Fairfield Inn.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

So once they get the Bistro and the Starbucks, the free coffee is gone.  There must be an arrangement with Starbucks in order to get them.  I don't drink that coffee anyway.  I tried it once at a Kroger's grocery store with an iced coffee mocha.  Too expensive for what it was to me.  As you can tell, I'm not a real coffee lover, but I like the creamed coffee to where I can't taste the coffee.

The CY I stay at has the corporate rates for my husband's company since it's just down the interstate from it, and with that, we get the suite, free breakfast buffet for everyone in the room, and they still have the free coffee, newspapers, and evening cookies and sometimes popcorn.  They're just remodeling the rooms, so I haven't been able to stay in a remodeled suite yet to see what it's like.  The lobby and dining rooms are scheduled for about a year away.  Then I'll probably quit staying there because of the end of my husband's onsite job's end anyway.

But as far as PP upgrades go, none available there, but then they told us about the corp rate which I hadn't known about.  It's the only Marriott in the area with a corp rate for that corp.

savannahman Platinum

I was recently told at a CY property on Mobile Alabama that the free coffee is gone because of an agreement with Starbucks. They said they were working on a solutioon and the feee coffee will most likely be back in the near future. It won't be starbucks of course. I think Elite Members should get the starbucks and breakfast for free.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I am only guessing here. But, the only upgrade (that I know) at a CY is a suite. They have always been excluded. So, there isn't much they have to do-so they don't. That said, I also agree that Marriott has ruined CY. This is there business traveler brand-yet the only brand that doesn't provide breakfast to elites. I avoid at all costs-for business travel.

tker

I hear you, but as I have mentioned, I was just upgraded to a suite this past week.  while suites are 'officially' excluded, practically, these upgrades happen all the time.  The balance of your thoughts are spot on and I would never choose to stay at a cy unless it was absolutely necessary.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

10-4. That's why I am saying they can jerk us around. They can deny upgrades by holding the letter of the law.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

My son and I got the nicest upgrade to a suite in the Atlanta, GA CY near the airport.  I would love to get that upgrade again.

Location Brand Hotel
      Atlanta, Georgia, USA Courtyard By Marriott
    atxroadwarrior Platinum 7 Reviews

As a Platinum Marriott Member, I too rarely get an upgrade, even after asking if any are available.  I stayed at the CY in Lewisville, TX a few weeks ago and asked upon check-in and was told no, they are all booked up.  After heading up to my room and getting online, I head out the the Marriott site and check out booking a room at the same hotel for the same day.    Lo and behold, suites and rooms with Jacuzzi tubs are available to book.

I called down to the front desk and asked why these rooms are available to book but not for an upgrade.  I was told they were last minute cancellations (I checked in after 6 PM).

I too agree that the CY brand has gone downhill fast and will stay away from them for the most part.

robertlstein Platinum

Thanks, everyone.  Obviously, I'm not alone in observing a real drop in CY quality.  Interesting that no one from Marriott has commented on this thread.  I'd love to hear an "official" response, especially if any action is going to be taken to address this.

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews

In their efforts to "elevate" the Courtyard brand to a level just below the full service Marriotts but above the Fairfield Inn brand, Marriott has "screwed the pooch", as it were.  They have taken hotels that provide moderate accommodations and are trying to sell it as better than what they actually are.  The only step left would be to start charging a daily fee for the internet connection.  It is truly sad.

deeperside Gold 2 Reviews

I am a lifetime gold member and have spent several years as platinum.  I frequently stay at CYs in Atlanta, Florida, Ohio and Toronto.  I don't seem to hate the new format as much as those of you in this post ?!?

Bad food... really ?  It's better than all the Fairfields I've been too and have no issues ordering my custom SBucks as I would from a real SBucks...that's kinda cool, no ?  No coffee at midnight well, Fairfield wins.

Ok, 1 - The upgrades are far and few between as noted - Agreed but not a show stopper for me.  2 - The rooms are sub-par to some of the equivalent Hilton properties for sure at the same or lower rates and this can be a big factor for MANY but NOT for me when you see below.  3 - The whole lame AC and TV setup on the side wall...certainly a let down but I don't remember it being much better at the old CYs or current F airfields ?

Here's the thing - You pay/ use double or triple in several cases the amount of points used for rewards at a Hilton, for example the cheapest room I've found very recently in about 5 cities/stays is 25/30k points per night at Hilton's lowest tiers.  I have found and stayed at Marriott properties for 8k-20k points and less when doing multi-nite stays.  This to me is one of the greatest values of the brand and I think the critics and perfectionists (albeit necessary for improvements to be considered) need to take this into account when addressing their experiences.  I have spoken with several people that "Don't mind the format change" and are kind of like the common format but don't think it's worth any extra money over a Fairfield per say and that's where the heart of this thread possibly lies.  Thanks for the changes but there are some core deficiencies that really don't account or add up to the higher room rates.

If this thread is only about upgrades then let's go back to the original post and the initial statement of policy and perhaps that is why Marriott has not responded but yes the upgrades are far and few between at CYs and perhaps they need only restate the policy along with provide a plan for CY's Version 2.0 coming soon ?!?

A couple related notes of interest.

A - CYs typically only have 2 or 4 at most Jacuzzi rooms and of course they want people to pay for them.  I have on 3 occasions, called a week in advance and requested the upgrade to the Jaccuzzi room and it has been honored both for a paid and award stay with no additional points or charge.  Good right ?

B - I am certainly going to make a call to Hilton on Monday since the odds of me speaking to someone who can help on Sunday without a long hold are slim to non... and see if they give me equivalent status.. this should be an interesting discussion.

C - If you want your SBucks extra hot...ask for it and if you are not satisfied, don't pay for it.  We spend enough money at these places that we should get what we pay for irrespective of the property.

Some good insights in this thread and some folks that sound like they just like to complain.

I am a lifetime gold member and have spent several years as platinum.  I frequently stay at CYs in Atlanta, Florida, Ohio and Toronto.  I don't seem to hate the new format as much as those of you in this post ?!?

Bad food... really ?  It's better than all the Fairfields I've been too and have no issues ordering my custom SBucks as I would from a real SBucks...that's kinda cool, no ?  No coffee at midnight well, Fairfield wins.

Ok, 1 - The upgrades are far and few between as noted - Agreed but not a show stopper for me.  2 - The rooms are sub-par to some of the equivalent Hilton properties for sure at the same or lower rates and this can be a big factor for MANY but NOT for me when you see below.  3 - The whole lame AC and TV setup on the side wall...certainly a let down but I don't remember it being much better at the old CYs or current F airfields ?

Here's the thing - You pay/ use double or triple in several cases the amount of points used for rewards at a Hilton, for example the cheapest room I've found very recently in about 5 cities/stays is 25/30k points per night at Hilton's lowest tiers.  I have found and stayed at Marriott properties for 8k-20k points and less when doing multi-nite stays.  This to me is one of the greatest values of the brand and I think the critics and perfectionists (albeit necessary for improvements to be considered) need to take this into account when addressing their experiences.  I have spoken with several people that "Don't mind the format change" and are kind of like the common format but don't think it's worth any extra money over a Fairfield per say and that's where the heart of this thread possibly lies.  Thanks for the changes but there are some core deficiencies that really don't account or add up to the higher room rates.

If this thread is only about upgrades then let's go back to the original post and the initial statement of policy and perhaps that is why Marriott has not responded but yes the upgrades are far and few between at CYs and perhaps they need only restate the policy along with provide a plan for CY's Version 2.0 coming soon ?!?

A - CYs typically only have 2 or 4 at most Jacuzzi rooms and of course they want people to pay for them.  I have on 3 occasions, called a week in advance and requested the upgrade to the Jaccuzzi room and it has been honored both for a paid and award stay with no additional points or charge.  Good right ?

B - I am certainly going to make a call to Hilton on Monday since the odds of me speaking to someone who can help on Sunday without a long hold are slim to non... and see if they give me equivalent status.. this should be an interesting discussion.

C - If you want your SBucks extra hot...ask for it and if you are not satisfied, don't pay for it.  We spend enough money at these places that we should get what we pay for irrespective of the property.

Some good insights in this thread and some folks that sound like they just like to complain.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Example of CY Lack of Competitive Position verus Hilton & Sheraton in Wallkingford, CT.

As a 30 yr+ Marriott Rewards member, platinum for 20+ years and now Lifetime Platinum, I have been a FS fan, especially since in the beginning that is all there was.  As each of the other brands were brough on line, I tried to understand what they were all about.  I do understand the differences of features, pricing and logistics, but not the 'why' after all these years.  My 1st choice is always FS, and usually my 2nd choice is RI or FFI.

As for CY, I have never been a fan, even under the best of circumstances.

I primarily stay at CY when there are no other  options, either no other properties at that location, or no availability and within the 48 hr platinum guarantee window.

Most of my stays at CY have been at the Wallingford CT CY, as that is the only Marriott there.  For many years, Marriott has been the corporate preferred vendor and we are required to use the preferred vendor whenever possible, or lowest rate.  The last few years we have had 2 preferred vendors, Marriott and Hilton, as most of my colleagues are Hilton Honors member and prefer this, and refer to Marriott as Merry-rot, and they use the fact that one side of the property rooms face the freeway and are noisy as the reason not to say. Tthis is what I am up against in the office for business travels when traveling with colleagues as we have to agree on using the same property.

For Wallingford, there is also a Shearton which is the personal preference of  my colleagues as its FS, has a restaurant, bar, upscale rooms, etc. They usually offer us a rate that is lower than either the Marriott or Hilton, as its the only way we can stay there when they are not a preferred provider.

For our last team trip there, in order to get everyone to agree to stay, i had to get pricing from all three properties, make sure the CY was the cheapest option, and start an email dialogue, so that anyone that disagreed had to do so in writing that they wanted a higher priced property which did not happen. I also called in advance, and blocked all rooms on the quiet side of the property, and requested my platinum upgrade go to my boss.

Interestingly enough, they did come up with a suite, which I have never ever gotten when traveling on my own, once they understood it was a competitive bid situation, and woudl determine if we were ever able to stay there again on future business trips.

I also had to go down to the bistro n advance to make sure I understood how the corportate rate including breakfast works, as its complicated in that they bill you, you sign the bill, but then it never shows up on your room bill.  I made sure this happened for all our team member, e.g. stayed in the bistro as they all drifted through and told them what to do and checked all the billing in  the bistro and room bills before we departed.

No one said anything positive or negative, as the all wanted to be somewhere else but couldn't say this without being out of compliance with company travel policy.  I also signed them all up for Marriott Rewards, and the Mega Bonus program, though my boss was the only one that actually did a 2nd stay to get the Cat 1-4 certificate staying at a FFI the very next night while taking his son to look at colleges as it was comparably priced to the Hampton Inn.  They also used the free certificate for another college site visit, but after that went back to Hampton Inn as he said his kids preferred the hot buffet breakfast at Hampton Inn, and he needed it to be all included in the room price to have the entire family on the road looking at colleges.

He was the only one that said he liked his room, not understanding, he was the only one with that type of room, and even I, a lifetime platinum had never been in a CY Suite. The folks working at the CY Wallngford went out of their way to accomodate all my requests, and were very responsive to the competitive bid situation they were in.

My question is why should the staff and a platinum cusotmer have to work so hard to create a situation where my team would agree to stay?

It seems to me that the brand management should understand the competitive situation, not only in Wallingford, but in every locaiton they have a proeprty, and they should make sure they have the most attractive option.

Location Brand Hotel
    Wallingford, Connecticut, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard New Haven Wallingford
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Example of CY Lack of Competitive Position verus Other Marriott Brands at 2 Airport locations (DTW, EWR)

Since I travel alot between EWR & DTW, I am familiar with the properties at these 2 airports.

My personal preference at both airports is FS, but on occassion have had to use other brands due to lack of availability and being within the 48 hr platinum guarantee window.  Also, the DTW FS & CY share the same airport bus so its very easy to see how many customers are going to each property.

DTW.  The FS property has a wonderful CL, and my room is always on the CL floor.  On the weekends when the CL is closed, the restaurant breakfast coupons are always provided without even asking for them.  When I check in, they usually give me the points AND pantry bonus. At xmas they had presents for us all, a big bowl of cards which you picked one, and when you open it, it said how many additional free points you would get in addition to bonus points and platinum gift. The front desk always acknowledges my status, and the fact that I have stayed at their property before. The CL has the best food ever.  The regulars are quick to tell you what the dishes are as they were all specially created for the CL.  Most of the people on the bus tell me they prefer the FS over the CY.  The CY seems to have the airline contracts with the pilots and stewardesses staying there.  I have stayed at the CY on occassion, and the front desk staff has always been wonderful and noted my platinum status.  The one thing I do enjoy at the CY is that their pool is open till midnight, and from 10-midnight is adult swim with no children, which is always nice after a late night flite.

EWR.  I prefer the FS as their bus is the only hotel bus allowed to the terminal. All other Marriotts and other brands have to use P1 station on the airlink to get to the airport.  I also like that the FS CY is open later than most, and for summer holidays they have a poolside barbaque.  Only once have I stayed at the CY when my flite was canceled, and that was the only available property.  I sat at P1 airlink station for over an hour watching all the buses for other Marriott properties go by multiple times.  I even asked if any of them went near the CY, but none said they did.  When the bus fnally came, I found that the CY and FFI are walking distance, and I could have used that bus even though they had said they were not near.  Once I finally got to the property, the front desk staff was very welcoming, but I was already in a bad mood from sitting for over an hour in the heat with my luggage, and had to get up very early for my rebooked flite, allowing enough time for the train to the P1 airlink station to the airport (alot more time than from the FS).

I actually feel sorry for the staff at the CY as they are trying so hard to make sure we like our stay at their property, but they are given so little to work with from the CY brand management.  The staff at FS properties, with equal effort can easily surprass the cusotmer ezperience at a CY.

Location Brand Hotel
    Romulus, Michigan, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Detroit Metro Airport Romulus
    Romulus, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Metro Airport Marriott
    Newark, New Jersey, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport
    Newark, New Jersey, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
    ohmark Platinum

Agree with what seems to be the general consensus above as to CY.  But to point out that despite what is posted in two comments above, suite upgrades are now absolutely a part of the "official" Marriott program, as Michelle posted on this board last year.  Here are the official rules (platinum verson; but substitute gold and it is the same):

"For Platinum Elite members the best way is up! So every time you check in,
    we'll do our best to upgrade you to a premium room - at no additional charge –
    for your entire stay.  Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on
    high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive
    Floors, or suites, subject to availability identified by each hotel."   Marriott Platinum Reward Status | Marriott Platinum Elite Benefits

Platinum 28 Reviews

WHERE ARE WE A YEAR LATER ?  (last post on this over a year ago)

In my opinion the Courtyard brand has become the most inconsistent of the Marriott labels.

Some properties are absolutely delightful ( i.e Old Town San Diego) and, some seem to have no clue how to treat or serve guests at a level where they would like to return.

With the availability of complementary breakfasts at every other brand (exception of full service properties where elite members have CL's) why would anyone choose a Courtyard unless it was the only choice at the time needed.

The original concept of the CL was to service business people.  The original concept of Courtyard was to be haven for the business traveler.  The ORIGINAL and most common complaint of Courtyard is "where is my complementary breakfast".

Something must be done.  Like me, many elite members are avoiding Courtyards for other brands, including brands of other hotel companies!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...