13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2013 3:00 AM by kharada46 RSS

Snow in Hawaii!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Yes!  Real snow in Hawaii!  It is quite common for snow to fall on Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii.  At nearly 14,000ft in elevation when measured from sea level, Mauana Kea is Hawaii's tallest mountain and is home to a number of observatories.  Being that high, though, it is subject to frequent snow during the winter!  It is quite possible to even ski on Mauna Kea when the conditions are right (though there are no ski lifts).  Interesting fact, when measured from its true base on the ocean floor, Mauna Kea is actually the tallest mountain on earth, measuring over 33,000ft. 

Anyway, what's unusual about this most recent snow warning is that it also applies to Mauna Kea's immediate neighbor, Mauna Loa and Maui's Haleakala.  Mauna Loa is a bit 13,000ft in elevation, so it's a bit lower than Mauna Kea, and sees a little snow here and there.  On the other hand, Haleakala is only 10,000ft, and while it does see ice from time to time, snow is very uncommon there! 

3 more inches of snow could fall on Hawaii island summits - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiserl

Snow falls in Hawaii, Mauna Kea summit closes - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Maui, Hawaii, USA
Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Snow in Hawaii!
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have been on Maui and tried to drive up Haleakala and been in a snow storm.  It does happen.  At times, they close the park for weather conditions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

That must have been interesting!  No matter if its hail or snow, I've never seen it in Hawaii.  The one and only time I've ever seen snow (on the ground only) was in Vancouver, Canada. 

Sometimes, one must be a visitor to see things that locals don't have time to see.  For me, I really didn't want to see snow but locals were going to look.

Californian, you're absolutely correct!  In fact, this past weekend, the biggest local news was the 3 inches of snow on Mauna Kea and the HUGE traffic jam of locals trying to get up there to see the snow! 

I have been there more than once when Haleakala has had snow and that has been the case.  Tourist don't go to Hawaii to see snow but locals like the rare occurrence of snow..

Californian, that's interesting.  Of all the times I've been to Maui, I've never seen snow atop Haleakala.  You are very right, but where else in the world can you snowboard/ski, and in about an hour, be surfing/swimming in 70-80 degree weather?   

You can in southern California.

True, forgot about that

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

When you consider standard temperature at sea level is 59 degree F, and the drop in temperature per thousand feet will produce temperatures below freezing at the altitudes of Haleakala you should expect snow when precipitation is in the area......gotta love it.

59 degrees is actually quite unusual for Hawaii, though it isn't unusual for nighttime temperatures to dip into the 60's in the winter   We see 50's once in a great while, and many people consider that FREEZING

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I understand, my point is standard at sea level not that is necessarily the temperature however; being some 13,000' of altitude above mean sea level it will be darn cold up there. 

Ah, I see.  Yes, I understand about that temperature difference.  Kilauea isn't that high compared to Mauna Kea, but is pretty cold by Hawaii standards.  Of course, one only needs to feel the window during a flight to see how cold it gets at higher altitudes. 

Viewer submitted photos on Hawaii News Now's Facebook

Timeline Photos | Facebook

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...